Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 16th, 2013 07:00

iDrac 6 & 7 Can I virtually mount a floppy AND a CD image at same time ?

I am trying to completely automate OS Deployments with MDT (and System Center Orchestrator).  The trouble is we CANNOT use DHCP in our data centers.  This leaves us with a bit of trouble because we need a way for the server to come up with the Litetouch WinPE disk and then go to MDT to get it's IP Address.  I thought I could mount the WinPE through the DRAC virtual media and then mount a floppy image with the servers new IP Address in the virtual floppy.

Can I mount the virtual floppy AND a virtual CDRom at the same time in an iDrac 6 and 7 through SSH (unless a Dell iDrac Integration Pack is made for System Center Orchestrator) ?

I am also open to other suggestions on how I can make the IP Address available to the WinPE OS Install (MDT) with NO DHCP or PXE support.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Rob

5 Posts

Sorry I should have also said since I am using SSH, I must use the RACADM command line feature.  For Example....

"racadm remoteimage -c -u myUserName -p myPassWord -l //10.100.211.84/boot/LiteTouchPE_x64.iso"

30 Posts

Hi Rob,

remoteimage is for attaching iso or img via Remote File Share. You can attach either iso or img using this command. To use virtual media feature remotely you will need to use vmcli command after installing DRAC tools using OM DVD. If, via remoteimage, you have attached an iso image, it is still possible to attach iso and img images using vmcli.

C:\Program Files\Dell\SysMgt\rac5>racvmcli.exe

racvmcli version 1.1.0

Copyright (c) 2007 Dell, Inc.

All Rights Reserved

usage: racvmcli

-r RAC-IP-addr[:RAC-SSL-port]

-u RAC-user

-p RAC-user-password

-f {floppy-dev | disk-image}

-c {cdrom-dev | ISO-image}

[-v]    # version

[-h]    # help

[-m]    # manual page

[-e]    # use an SSL-encrypted channel

Regards,

Mondeep

5 Posts

July 16th, 2013 15:00

Thanks for the response Mondeep, Can I download just the racvmcli.exe file or do I have to install the entire OpenManage Essentials Application (which requires IIS Roles, Silverlight, Visual Studio Runtimes, IPMI Utility, DRAC Tools, SQL SERVER, and NAVcli !)  

WOW that's a lot of stuff to install and configure just so I can mount a floppy, can I just extrace the racvmcli.exe or use RACADM or some other SSH command?

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

July 16th, 2013 21:00

For VMCLI application you just need to install Remote Acess Tools. You can download the same from

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/in/en/indhs1/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-r720?driverId=V64KV&fileId=3196045164&osCode=WLHS1

5 Posts

July 17th, 2013 07:00

Thanks for the suggestion Mondeep.  I can SSH fine to the server (with my credentials) however when I try to attach a virtual floppy with the racvmcli.exe utility I get this error message "**error: cannot authenticate user"

C:\temp>racvmcli -r 10.100.220.34 -u myUserName -p myPassword -f ImageFile.img
Authentication in progress, please wait..
**error: cannot authenticate user

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks Dell-Shine for helping me download the racvmcli tool

5 Posts

July 17th, 2013 08:00

What's the difference between racvmcli.exe ivmcli.exe and vmcli.exe ?  The first two failed but vmcli was successful.  Now here is the tough part is there a way to leave the floppy mapped and close down the vmcli executable?  I need to automate my build which will require a floppy and a cd rom and I may be building 2000 + servers at a time (so I would like to be able to leave the floppy and cdrom mapped but do not wish to have 2000+ copies of vmcli running.  Thanks again for taking the time out of your day to answer these questions.

racvmcli -r 10.100.220.34 -u myUserName -p jpmorgan -f c:\temp\ImageFile.IMG
Authentication in progress, please wait..
**error: cannot authenticate user

ivmcli -r 10.100.220.34 -u myUserName -p jpmorgan -f c:\temp\ImageFile.IMG
Error (7):Could not connect to Server or  Insufficient privilege to create tempo
rary files in the current folder.You might not have myUserNameistrator privileges or
the current folder is Read-only.

vmcli -r 10.100.220.34 -u myUserName -p jpmorgan -f c:\temp\ImageFile.IMG
Security Alert: Certificate is invalid - self signed certificate
Continuing execution. Use -S option for vmcli to stop execution on certificate-related errors.
Connecting to server....
  Connecting to 10.100.220.34
. Login success.

Mapping c:\temp\ImageFile.IMG to Remote Device[1] as Read/Write. Success.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

July 17th, 2013 11:00

racvmcli is for DRAC5, ivmcli is for iDRAC6 Blade Server, VMCLI is for iDRAC6 Rack and Tower server and iDRAC7 (Rack, Tower and Blade) servers

2 Intern

• 

793 Posts

July 19th, 2013 17:00

Another possible answer would be to use vFlash if your iDRAC 6 and 7's have the card installed.  That is also tricky to set up but might be worth the trouble?  You'd have to pick something to upload and it would show up as another optical disk.

No Events found!