Did you ever find what the problem is ?
My company uses GX260, GX270, GX280 ... My help desk started reporting to me many workstations are hanging. Event log shows they are running out of memory. (Srv error).
One of the machines had event log errors about iap.exe loading a DLL bad image ,,,, (Something like that)
Please let me know if you discovered anything on this. I'm still analyzing some of the machines that crashed because of this problem.
Thanks for responding.
I called Dell yesterday to attempt to get this resolved. I was passed to a few departments but no real answer. I setup perfmon on 2 workstations Yesterday. Today the IAP.EXE handles grew from 120 handles yesterday, to 4901 handles this morning.(Highest in the system) I'm surprised that Dell doesn't know about this issue.
Thanks for responding
What version of the client instrumentation are you running and also what operating systems and service packs are the systems in question running.
I too would love to find a solution to this problem as I am having the same problem with version 7.01.0382. I am having the problem on both GX270's and 280's running either XP SP2 or 2K SP4. I don't have this problem on GX270's running the older 7.00.0316 OMCI or its update 7.00.24.
In addition to the handle count I've also seen an increase in the pool paged bytes for the Iap service using perfmon.
I wouldn't have noticed it because most computers here end up getting rebooted at least once a month. But I recently deployed 40 machines (GX270's) that autologin with an Active Directory account which has a group policy applied to it that among other things, disabled the ability to lock the computer. These machines are supposed to stay on at all time, but after 25 - 30 days they would suddenly start locking. I found out that it was because the group policy couldn't update and reverted back to the local workstation policy. That happened because the networking services stopped working because the system paged pool was empty (System log: Event 2020; Source Srv). Rebooting the machine would solve the problem. I even setup a script to restart the service on one of the machines if the handle count got over 10000, which kept the machine running fine past the 30 day mark, but was obviously not a long term solution.
Until recently we were deploying GX270's which can run with the older version of the OMCI without problems. At some point I updated the 270 image (probably after the first of the year) with the new version and it's on those machines that I see the problem. Unfortunately, we just started receiving 280's and the only compatible version I see for that system is the affected 7.01. Reinstalling the 7.1 OMCI does not appear to take care of the problem either.
As for the 40 machines I spoke of above, I ended up disabling the service, but now the system log is full of DCOM errors 10005 (about eight messages every minute) because it keeps trying to start the disabled Iap service.
Most of our machines here are running the older OMCI version without a problem, but since I started using the new version I haven't found one yet that isn't affected and I've looked at about 50 of the 150 or so that are running the new version. I just checked a GX270 workstation running 2K SP4 with the old 7.0 OMCI and running for over 7 days the handle count is less than 130. Then I checked another GX270 running 2K SP4 and OMCI 7.1 that I started 2 hours ago and the handle count is over 550. In my experience you can see the issue within 15 minutes by watching the handle count of the Iap service. If it starts climbing right away you're in trouble, and machines without the problem stay below a handle count of 200.
Sorry for the book, but hopefully this will help. I don't see how it could be anything other than a problem with the 7.1 client, but I've been surprised before.