November 6th, 2017 12:00

installing Bitlocker on Raid 5 drives

hi thanks in advance for reading this.

i am trying to install BitLocker on our servers:

PowerEdge R900

4x 6core

128Gb ram

5 x 2Tb on Perc 6/i

configured as Raid 5 no spare 3 partitions 1x 350Gb system 1 x 4tb (GPT) 1 x 3.2 (GPT)Tb data, 

BitLocker runs fine on partition 2 (4TB) but won't run on partition 3 (3.2TB)

any ideas ? have tried re-partitioning still the same

• 

6.2K Posts

November 6th, 2017 14:00

Hello

Are you sure that you have access to all 8TB of space from within the operating system? Your configuration should not work. In order for the OS to address more than 2TB it needs to be in GUID partition tables(GPT), but MBR boot mode does not allow addressing of the boot drive beyond 2TB. The R900 does not have UEFI boot mode to support GPT boot beyond 2TB.

Thanks

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 6th, 2017 14:00

Probably three VD's and not actual partitions.

November 7th, 2017 02:00

hi thanks for the reply

you are correct it should say three VD's rather than partitions

November 7th, 2017 03:00

hello

the raid has three VD's not partitions, the first therefore the boot is 350Gb is formatted NTFS and is the system drive, the remaining are added as GPT drives within 2K8R2, as I said the problem is that bitlocker cant encrypt the third drive.

thanks for your reply 

• 

6.2K Posts

November 7th, 2017 08:00

That makes more sense. There is no hardware configuration I'm aware of that would stop bitlocker from working. This is likely a software issue. I suggest reviewing your configuration to make sure you meet the requirements. One setting that can differ between disks/partitions is whether or not it is dynamic. Bitlocker does not support dynamic volumes. I suggest reviewing Microsoft articles on the requirements.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh831507(v=ws.11).aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732774(v=ws.11).aspx#BKMK_R2disks

Thanks

No Events found!