Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 1st, 2016 11:00

mezzanine card C2 failed

I have a dell M820 server.
In open manage server administration

Hardware log is:
Device option ROM on mezzanine card C2 failed to support Link Tuning or FlexAddress.

Alert log is:

System software event: Description: Device option ROM on mezzanine card C2 failed to support Link Tuning or FlexAddress. Date and time of action: Sat May 21 23:03:53 2016

Is the card failed or is there any other issue, please help

• 

8.8K Posts

June 2nd, 2016 05:00

Jeetsahai,

Under specific conditions, the mezzanine can show this error. Yes it possibly could be a failing card, but could also occur if WSMAN commands are used to set Virtual Address Management to Console mode. The error message is cosmetic only and has no effect on functionality.  It is not common practice to use those commands to change the value of Virtual Address Management to console mode. Therefore, it is unlikely that that is the cause, but I wanted to ask to be certain. If you didn't run those commands then it is likely the card has failed. 

Let me know.

24 Posts

December 23rd, 2021 08:00

We have a dell m1000e with 4 Poweredge Dell M910 blades. We get this error on two of the blades but there are only two of these that create the errors.  I was able to update the Dell OS driver pack for all servers, to 15.04 as the offending two had a much lower end firmware.

I tried to upgrade other firmwares, but i got this error, for example on the

Recommended Action
Verify that the package is a Dell-signed update package

How can i verify it when we download it from a Dell Website....

Please help.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

December 23rd, 2021 09:00

Hello,

I would check that the iDRAC and Lifecycle controller versions on those two blades are on the latest release. This message is something I've seen pop when the LCC is behind.

24 Posts

January 4th, 2022 14:00

It has the latest releases for both. I dont know what else to do here.

Please advise, as i cannot update anything else due to either checksum errors or digital signature issues as mentioned.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

January 4th, 2022 15:00

Have you performed a power drain of the blade node? If you haven't you would just need to shut the node down, disconnect it from the chassis, then hold the power button down for roughly 10 seconds. The goal is to force the management system to reset. I've seen this resolve a number of odd issues and would be worth trying, if you haven't already.

24 Posts

January 5th, 2022 11:00

ok...i will try...when you say hold the power down, are referring to the offending blade, please advise?

• 

3.7K Posts

January 5th, 2022 11:00

Hello koolandrew,

You have that correct. The task is to drain the power from the blade.

…shut the node down, disconnect, the blade, from the chassis, then hold the power button down, of the blade,  for roughly 10 seconds…

24 Posts

January 24th, 2022 17:00

i thought i replied. I did do it. No effect. Same errors. I have noticed on the console logs when booting, there is some reference to mezzanine software being out of date, but i saw it quickly and dont really know.

Please advise.

• 

3.4K Posts

January 24th, 2022 22:00

Hi @koolandrew,

Are you just having the error with updating the OS driver pack or you do have the error similar to this post? Do you have a screenshot of the error message? About the error with Dell signed updates, this usually happens when iDRAC version of the server is latest and the other update package does not contained signed package.xml.sign file. Are you updating the OS driver pack using Lifecycle controller firmware update option? 

24 Posts

January 25th, 2022 04:00

I would show you video/pictures, anything, but you cannot.Unless someone can tell me how to upload attachments, i am stuck wasting time with text.

Regarding your questions:

1.Are you just having the error with updating the OS driver pack or you do have the error similar to this post?

When the blade boots up, there is no error on the chassis. It shows up about 3-5 minutes after booting. Regarding updating the os driver pack. This is what i see at the top of the chassis overview for chassis health.

CMC-4K92JJ1
Model PowerEdge M1000e Service Tag
Firmware 6.21 Asset Tag 00000
Critical Alerts
Server-2 Device option ROM on mezzanine card C2 failed to support Link Tuning or FlexAddress.
Server-4 Device option ROM on mezzanine card C1 failed to support Link Tuning or FlexAddress.
Non-Critical Alerts
Server-3 The QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) width degraded.

Regarding the OS driver pack, it is 15.04 on all servers, including the one that doesnt have problems and it is the latest driver pack.

2. About the error with Dell signed updates, this usually happens when iDRAC version of the server is latest and the other update package does not contained signed package.xml.sign file. Are you updating the OS driver pack using Lifecycle controller firmware update option? 

i saw that description but the LIfecycle controller has the latest firmware on all blades as well, 1.7.5.4. There is a repair package and i tried downloading it from the website, but there are some errors and it wouldnt download

I took a video of one of the blades when it boots and i got the following:

FlexAddress is not supported at current firmware levels on Mezzanine Card:Daughter Card 1 Bus#09/Dev00/Fiunc#0
Please upgrade mezzanine card firmware.

I dont know what else to do here. The software on all the blades appear to be the same for the most part. i need a stable hardware.

• 

3.5K Posts

January 25th, 2022 09:00

Hello,

we need to better analyze all variables in order to give you a successful troubleshooting.

BIOS version is updated on all blades?

What are the differences from a working M910 in terms of positions, hardware configuration? If you change blades position, issue follow the poweredge or the position?

I suppose that all is out of warranty, I suggest you to ask for a support ticket to have a phone troubleshooting and receive an estimate in case an hardware replacement is needed.

Thanks
Marco

24 Posts

January 25th, 2022 11:00

It turns out that the software on the hardware controller didnt recognize the updates from the various firmwares. When i reset the idracs on the offending servers, everything was resolved as per the suggestion in this ticket. https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-Hardware-General/M1000e-Chassie-firmware-update-fails/td-p/3608463/emcs_t/S2h8ZW1haWx8dG9waWNfc3Vic2NyaXB0aW9ufEtZVTlGT1NIVkhOVVk3fDgxMzMyMDJ8U1VCU0NSSVBUSU9OU3xoSw/page/2

No Events found!