Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

October 27th, 2017 05:00

Dell PowerEdge fan speed - change fanspeed offset

The BMC/iDRAC in is programmed to set fan speed min/max and adjust values based on factors like ambient temperature and system configuration. Depending on configuration the system may run the fans at higher RPMs regardless of any detected temperature. But...

If you use server at office, the noise become very anoying. If you set Maximum Performance in BIOS (Power Management),  there is no way to adjust fan speed because when server start, IDrac set Fan Speed Offset to Max...

Many people advise changing the fans or changing the BIOS, but I found that very risky...  The way i used is changing the thermal FanSpeed Offset value in IDrac.

Fan speed and temp before adjusting...

SSH - iDrac...

Get SpeedOffset value:

racadm get system.thermalsettings.FanSpeedOffset

Set SpeedOffset value:

racadm set system.thermalsettings.FanSpeedOffset X

The X values are:

• 0 - Low Fan Speed
  • 1 - High Fan Speed
  • 2 - Medium Fan Speed
  • 3 - Max Fan Speed
  • 255 - None

Fan speed and temp after adjusting...

There is also benefit with power consumption. Before adjusting, server used about 250W and now is constantly on 120W...

I used this on PowerEdge R620 but this adjustment can also be used on other Dell servers with noisy fans...

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 27th, 2017 15:00

Correction ... the simple act of replacing fans is not risky. Finding a quieter fan that will WORK can be problematic, but not risky.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 27th, 2017 15:00

Many people advise changing the fans or changing the BIOS, but I found that very risky

Hmm ... neither of these are "risky" when done correctly.

October 27th, 2017 16:00

I agree:) But, if you still have warranty on your server, every modification is risky:)

August 22nd, 2018 04:00

hi, how do i access the ssh - idrac console

1 Message

October 5th, 2018 02:00

Is this command only available on new RAC? becoz I am using RAC5 can only ssh but dose not work for this command.

1 Message

November 22nd, 2018 04:00

Hi. This solution works great, only issue is that every time I reboot it reverts fans to 100%. Is there any way to make this setting permanent? Thank you.

1 Message

March 9th, 2019 01:00

This seems to be an idrac7+ only feature.  Idrac6 doesn't recognize the commands... any ideas on if something like this is possible with idrac6 servers (mine's an R510 running the idrac 6 2.92 latest and greatest)

1 Message

May 5th, 2019 03:00

Hey,

You found any solutions?

1 Rookie

• 

58 Posts

October 15th, 2020 05:00

Hi 

can i run this cmds on the R900 ?

1 Message

March 2nd, 2021 11:00

I created an account here, just to say THANK YOU!

Been trying to resolve my loud fan noise issue for the past 2 days, trying out different SAS controller cards and HD configurations (because the noise started after adding some SDDs to my T620).

This works on a PowerEdge T620 with all latest firmware.

1 Message

June 28th, 2021 14:00

Hi Marc.. For me also same problem. The Fan speed is too high. I tried to login putty using ssh. But it is showing access denied. Can you please tell me which ip has to be used for ssh putty login.... Thanks.. 

1 Message

December 4th, 2021 08:00

you could check your router to find iDRAC IP address

48 Posts

March 27th, 2024 13:20

Bit of a Old post i know but is there anyway to lower the fans from 8k RPM? as its still very loud

I found reuploading the Idrac & LCC firmware update helped.

• 

2.2K Posts

March 27th, 2024 14:18

Hi,

While your server's fans might be loud, there's a way to potentially make them quieter. However, this is a balancing act - quieter fans mean less cooling, and overheating can damage your server. Only adjust the fan speed if you're sure your server will stay cool.

Here's how to adjust the fan speed using the Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC):

1. Using the iDRAC interface:

• During bootup, press F2 to enter the System Setup (BIOS) menu.
    • Navigate to iDRAC Settings -> Thermal -> Fan Speed Offset.
    • Select the desired offset level:
      • Low Fan Speed Offset: Drives fans to a moderate speed (around 50%).
      • Off (default): Uses the automatic thermal control algorithm.
    • Save the settings and exit.
  2. Using RACADM tool (command line):

• This method requires the RACADM tool to be installed on a separate machine that can communicate with the iDRAC.
    • You'll need to consult your specific Dell model's documentation for the exact RACADM command to adjust the Fan Speed Offset.
  • Clear the Airflow Path: Make sure nothing is blocking the vents around your server.
  • Keep it Cool and Clean: Maintain a cool and dust-free environment for your server.

Hope that helps!

48 Posts

March 28th, 2024 21:10

@DELL-Erman O​ Hey Erman, thanks for the response on a old post!- I'll give this a try, Currently, the machine is an Ebay special and is a rebranded box , it dosnt have any drives/OS on or PCIE cards. Its running Two - E5-2650V2s - looking to change it out for one single - E5-2630L as the intention is to install TrueNas on it.

I have indeed tryed the IMPI/RACADM tool setting the command to 255 that did help but the level is still the same nothing less then 8k RPM

Would something like Turbo boost or C state kick the fans to a high idle rpm?

ive done some testing so - OS control 16k RPM, System control defults the rear temp to 50C so the fans run a blazing mode 26k RPM,  custom they drop down to 8k but then the options dont save fully and then it goes into 7500-8k RPM

Would putting light foam/ dustfilters in front for the fan grills help with the noise level at all? or would that impact the cooling performance of the machine?

Also, I've seen some 1.2A fans compared to the other 2A Delta ones.

Do they have the same airflow requirements for the machine/noise- 3RKJC is the part number

Regards

Dafoxx

(edited)

No Events found!