Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 6th, 2014 09:00

I have Untrusted Server - Need to WIPE and REPLACE all BIOS and FIRMWARE on Hardware

Hi,

I have a server that I would like to reuse.  However, the original OS was found to have viruses, malware, etc.  The server was a complete mess and has been verified as a system that was attacked by hackers.

I want to reuse the server and not through it in the garbage.  Therefore, I would like to WIPE the BIOS and all FIRMWARE and replace it using known good media.  I don't want to simply load a new OS on this hardware until I take the steps to verify that the BIOS and Firmware of the server is clean.

The Server is a Dell PowerEdge R720.

Can you please let me know the procedure to reload all of the firmware and BIOS?  I need to know where to get the FIRMWARE and BIOS and what the procedure is to delete it and load the new trusted BIOS and firmware.

Maybe like an SUU DVD can help?

15 Posts

May 21st, 2014 06:00

Hi, 

You could start by doing a Lifecycle Controller Wipe that causes all configuration and firmware data to be deleted from the system.

See "Delete Configuration and Resetting Defaults" section in the LC User guide

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_software/esuprt_ent_sys_mgmt/dell-lifecycl-cntrler-2-v1.0.0_User's%20Guide_en-us.pdf

You could then do a firmware update by connecting to the Dell FTP site. See "Firmware Update" or "Platform Update" section within the same document. You could look for a different version of the user guide here - ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_electronics/esuprt_software/esuprt_ent_sys_mgmt/

Regards,

Ajay @ Dell

No Events found!