Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

June 21st, 2017 11:00

LifeCycle interface different from videos

(PREFACE) Okay so I am completely new to iDrac with LifeCycle so bare with me... The Youtube video on installing Win Server 2016 dated 11/16 (and new videos as well) shows a menu bar which I simply don't have. 

Server is an R730 with iDrac 2.43.43.43.

What am I missing here?

• 

6.2K Posts

June 21st, 2017 13:00

Hello

How is your menu bar different? The menu bar in the picture is from the iDRAC console. That is a feature of the iDRAC Enterprise. When you open a console session that is the menu bar you will see along the top. If you don't have the enterprise license installed for the iDRAC you will not have console functionality.

Thanks

June 21st, 2017 17:00

Gotcha, I have iDRAC8 Express. When following the video it says press F10 to enter Lifecycle (no brainer there) but doesn't mention anything about iDRAC Enterprise.

I guess the only reason that this is an issue is that I cannot get the Lifecycle to recognize a bootable USB (tested on multiple systems) as media for a manual OS deployment. Nor can I get the server to boot at all from the same USB drive. 

This is a brand new R730 server and I'm trying to install Windows Server 2016 - the ISO is too big for my single layer DVD disks.

• 

6.2K Posts

June 21st, 2017 18:00

I cannot get the Lifecycle to recognize a bootable USB (tested on multiple systems) as media for a manual OS deployment. Nor can I get the server to boot at all from the same USB drive. 

The media must be properly formatted to be bootable or properly detected by the LCC. You should use Microsoft's USB tool:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool

Thanks

June 22nd, 2017 08:00

Thanks Daniel. I have been using that tool already. Did a test boot on another machine to confirm it works. Doesn't work on this new server for some reason. BIOS setting maybe???? 

• 

6.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2017 10:00

BIOS setting maybe???? 

Check the integrated devices section of the BIOS settings. USB 3.0 should be disabled by default. When it is disabled it will operate in USB 2.0 mode. Most pre-installation environments do not support USB 3.0. Also, make sure the USB ports are enabled in that same menu.

The only other BIOS option that should affect USB boot would be the boot mode and boot order. The Windows installation media should support either BIOS or UEFI boot mode. You can configure the boot sequence in the boot option settings of the boot settings menu.

Thanks

June 26th, 2017 08:00

Defaults are correct. Still not recognizing my USB drive. The ports work - tested with kb and mouse.

1 Message

August 9th, 2019 07:00

My problem is I have no menu at all.  is there a magic keystroke to pull it up ?

No Events found!