Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 1st, 2016 11:00

R420 Power profile change not happening

I have (2) identical R420s (H710 mini, 24GB, single RAID10, Win S2012 R2).  Both are configured for "performance per watt" power profile.  One is showing 70w of power usage, and the other only shows 56w.   This never concerned me directly.  But I am testing them in the performance mode to see if disk I/O improves.  The one server goes from 70w to 84w and disk speed tests to be faster.  The other one just stays at 56W and shows no performance increase.  It's like the performance setting is not being honored.  Are there other settings somewhere that might be overriding?  I made the change using OMSA and verified it in the BIOS at boot time on both systems.  CPU is E5-2407 V2.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 1st, 2016 16:00

Hello.

I can't think of any settings that are associated with "Performance per Watt" on Profile Settings. Compare the profile and power settings between the 2 servers. Ensure that the BIOS, iDRAC, PERC etc of the system is up to date.

12 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 06:00

Robert-  Thank you.  These servers are identical in every way - I built them at the same time.  Does it sound correct that the server should jump from 70w to 84w when going to performance mode?  

12 Posts

November 2nd, 2016 06:00

Sorry - I missed one thing - one server has a 550w PSU and the other has a 350w PSU.  I actually thought I had all 550W supplies.  Can that affect how much power the system board draws?  When I can shut them down I'll put a 550w in each one and check for differences.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 3rd, 2016 08:00

Power management is a feature that enables systems to switch to states where the power utilization is low as in the condition when the system is inactive. Performance Per Watt has the decision to control power consumption according to the load running on the server. I am not quiet sure whether this can directly relate to I/O performance. I/O performance is influenced by the type of controller and its settings, hard drives, RAID level and type of applications.

No Events found!