Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

July 11th, 2014 08:00

Reconfiguring from RAID 0 to RAID 1 on a Poweredge T110 II

Hi, I just received and turned on my new server, to find out that it was configured to raid 0 rather than raid 1. I could swear that I had ordered raid 1, its was specifically what I was looking for, but my order summary states raid 0, so either I made a mistake somehow or it got switched in the system.

In any case I have not installed any data on it yet, I would like to configure it to RAID 1. It has the PERC H200 Adapter internal raid controller. It has Windows Server 2008 R2 installed. Could you please provide instruction or point me to documentation?

July 11th, 2014 08:00

Hi BHamill62,

See Section 4.1 in the Best Practice Guide below.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20066173.aspx

The steps can be run one at a time using WSMAN directly or with the Recite python script which makes it a bit easier.

High level:

http://www.delltechcenter.com/LC

Regards,

steve

3 Posts

July 11th, 2014 09:00

Thank you for the quick response Steve.

In all honesty I'm not very familiar with using these scripts. Is there a way for me to do this with direct hands on commands?
And I'm assuming I can reinstall the OS after the reconfig from the discs provided by Dell? (Installation DVD (OpenManage Systems Management Tools & Documentation) disc and the Windows Server 2008 R2 OS DVD)?
As you can tell I'm new to this.

Thanks, Billy

July 11th, 2014 10:00

Hi Billy,

One other way to do this is to use the LC GUI. Reboot the host and enter the F10 menu as described in the doc below.

See page 46 onward.

http://downloads.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_software/esuprt_remote_ent_sys_mgmt/esuprt_rmte_ent_sys_lifecycle_cntrllr/dell-lifecycle-cntrler-2-rel-v1.4.0_User's%20Guide_en-us.pdf

Regards,

steve

3 Posts

July 11th, 2014 11:00

Thank you again for your reply, Steve.

F10 gets me into a Unified Server Configurator menu, and the choices are OS Deployment, Hardware Diagnostics, USC Settings. I could not find a way to configure RAID in under the Diagnostics selection.

Thanks, Billy

July 11th, 2014 13:00

Billy,

I believe there is an option ROM choice, although could not find documentation. Reboot host, hit CTRL-r, I think, and it brings you to RAID controller GUI to perform setup.

I do not have your system available to try this out.

I would highly recommend using this Recite tool if you want to run one command at a time, assuming you have Python installed.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/extras/m/white_papers/20123705.aspx

After running Recite.py from a Linux or DOS prompt, which yields a Recite prompt, perform the following:

# Use "GetControllerViews"  for choices of RAID Controller FQDDs

0. $IP=INSERT_IP_ADDRESS_HERE

1. GetControllerViews

#RAID.Integrated.1-1 is most common

2. Set $FQDD RAID.Integrated.1-1

# Perform reset configuration operation using FQDD from GetControllerViews, RAID.Integrated.1-1 is most common
2. ResetConfig Target=$FQDD

#applies configuration

3.CreateRAIDConfigJob Target=$FQDD ScheduledStartTime=TIME_NOW RebootJobType=3

#grab job id and poll for job completion

4. Find InstanceID $jid
5. Until JobStatus=Completed 20 20 GetLifecycleJob InstanceID=$jid

#after job completion, the old RAID 0 should be gone, now create new virtual disk

# Create RAID 1 configuration using virtual disk on physical disks 0 & 1,

#To get the FQDDs of your physical disks, type GetPhysicalDiskViews
6. CreateVirtualDisk Target=$FQDD PDArray=Disk.Bay.0:Enclosure.Internal.0-0:$FQDD PDArray=Disk.Bay.1:Enclosure.Internal.0-0:$FQDD VDPropValueArray=4 VDPropValueArray=2

#now apply new configuration

7. Repeat steps 3,4,5

Note: that the above does not account for return codes, it is the simplest form of accomplishing the task, assuming everything works correctly. For more comprehensive scripting, see previous post.

Regards,

steve

No Events found!