Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 14th, 2012 10:00

iDRAC6 racadm vflashvflashpartition syntax?

On a R710 fully updated (BIOSes, RHEL6, OpenManage, etc) with an
iDRAC6 with an 8GB vFlash I'd like to put the RHEL6 dvd iso into the
vFlash in order to be able to do a rescue boot if needed.

Inserted the Dell 8GB SD card and ran the following two commands:

# racadm config -g cfgvFlashSD -o cfgvFlashSDEnable 1
# racadm vflashSD initialize

All is good

racadm vflashpartition list
No vFlash partitions currently exist

As expected. I now want to create a partition using type image with
"cddvd" emulation.

# racadm vflashpartition create -i 1 -o RHEL6 -e cddvd -t image -l
10.1.2.3:/exportdir/rhel-server-6.2-x86_64-dvd.iso
ERROR: The syntax of the command specified is not correct.

Checking the documentation, my syntax should be valid. Checking my NFS
server, this is no attempt at mounting or accessing the file.

Please help!

As another test, If I try running the example, exactly as listed in the docs, it also emits a
syntax error, from:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

# racadm vflashpartition create -i 1 -o drive1 -e HDD -t image -l
//myserver/sharedfolder/foo.iso -u root -p mypassword

I tried adding a "-s 3500" to my command as well as '-u' and '-p'
(which should not be needed with NFS), and I still get the syntax
error message.

7 Posts

September 25th, 2019 09:00

Replying to my post 7 years later....

Two things.

1. You need to specify "dummy" username and password credentials for NFS even though NFS doesn't use credentials. 

2. You can run racadm on the same local system that has the iDRAC card, you just need to use the the -r and login to the iDRAC with credentials.

This command works:

racadm -r 10.1.2.3 -u root -p password vflashpartition create -i 1 -o OMSA -e cddvd -t image -l 10.1.2.2:/data/omsa.iso -u blahblah -p blahblah

March 14th, 2012 11:00

Hi,

How are you doing !

For racadm vflashpartition command to create image partition with NFS share is

racadm vflashpartition create -i 1 -o drive1 -e cddvd  -t image -l ipaddress or domainname:/share_name/pathtoimage -u username –p password

In your case mention user name and password .

It will work.

7 Posts

March 14th, 2012 11:00

Same error:

793 Posts

March 15th, 2012 16:00

There is a sequence of commands you have to get just so to use vFlash with racadm.  I recommend using the web GUI since it will take care of that for you.

March 16th, 2012 05:00

Just to make sure that we are doing create image partition through RACADM remotely not running  RACADM from the host locally.

NOTE: Creating a partition using an image file is not supported in local RACADM.

3 Posts

May 30th, 2012 10:00

Please tell me you are kidding? your solution to helping with a racadm command problem is to tell the user to use the web gui?? very helpful. Sometimes people need to know the answer to the question they asked, not be told to go use a different product entirely.

I am currently struggling with this myself and a real answer would be helpful. No, I am not going to use the web GUI, i need to batch this out and automate it.

No matter what i type, i get a syntax error trying to load an image file.

3 Posts

May 31st, 2012 10:00

I have figured out what the issue was with my instance of this problem. The dell documentation says that the image file path is case sensitive, but what I figured out is that the whole path must be LOWER CASE. I renamed my path of:

// /R910/r910.iso

renamed to:

// /r910/r910.iso

and now it loads the image.

I also upgraded to the latest version of racadm.exe which didn't fix the problem until I changed the case of the path.

7 Posts

May 31st, 2012 14:00

JMCORP, thanks the for the tip.

I tried multiple variations. I'm using NFS which the docs say will work. Still no luck.

# racadm vflashpartition create -i 1 -o drive1 -e cddvd  -t image -l testbox.example.com:/isos/r62.iso
# racadm vflashpartition create -i 1 -o drive1 -e cddvd  -t image -l 10.1.2.3:/isos/r62.iso
# racadm vflashpartition create -i 1 -o drive1 -e cddvd  -t image -l //10.1.2.3:/isos/r62.iso
# racadm vflashpartition create -i 1 -o drive1 -e cddvd  -t image -l //10.1.2.3/isos/r62.iso
# racadm vflashpartition create -i 1 -o drive1 -e cddvd  -t image -l 10.1.2.3/isos/r62.iso

3 Posts

June 1st, 2012 08:00

The first thing I would check in your command line is the double space after cddvd before the -t. Make sure that's not in your actual command line. Also make sure on your NFS server the share is all lower case too. I had to rename the share on my server too in order to get it to work. Then I would check permissions on your server. And finally in your command I dont see where you're connecting to a remote server. Run racadm.exe with the following format:

racadm -r -u -p vflashpartition create -i 1 -o drive1 -e cddvd -t image -l 10.1.2.3:/isos/r62.iso -u -p

Now the command is working for me in a command prompt, but gets the same syntax error when run from a script. I doubt that's completely Dell's fault, but it would be nice if the dang rac or racadm wasn't so freaking picky about the formatting of the command.

September 23rd, 2013 02:00

It seems that iso images under 1MB in size cannot be uploaded via racadm

No Events found!