Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2014 15:00

100% tested-compatible dual-monitor set-up for a Venue 11 Pro and dock?

I've got a try-and-buy Venue 11 Pro and am waiting for my up-specced version to ship, but while I'm waiting I thought I'd test the one I have right now with my dock and a dual-monitor setup.

So far I'm having zero luck.

I have two Viewsonic 24" with HDMI/DVI inputs and the only thing that works solidly is HDMI-to-HDMI without any kind of adapter.

I have Displayport-to-DVI adapters (dell-branded) and that doesn't work.

Is there some confirmed adapter+monitor setup for this device or is it 100% DP-to-DP or nothing?

I would rather not have to buy an all new set of monitors because the ones I have are almost brand new, but I will if I have to.

828 Posts

I've personally tested the Cable Matters branded active DP to VGA and active DP to DVI adapters with many monitors.   They worked well for me.

Passive DP adapters are not supported and will not work.

3 Posts

I have had no luck with with connecting an external display whatsoever. I bought a generic mini HDMI to VGA adapter then plugged a VGA monitor into the adapter... The tablet recognized a monitor was there but nothing appeared on it. 

I have not had much time to troubleshoot it apart from ruling out the VGA cable and trying another of the same adapter. 

I've seen something about active adapters instead of passive, any ideas?

13 Posts

April 19th, 2014 21:00

The display port on my dock doesn't work at all. It doesn't work when connect from DP to DP or when DP to HDMI through an adapter or from DP to DVI. It just doesn't work, period. It recognizes that the monitor is connected, but there is no video apart from an occasional screen flash.

I've contacted Dell support and they shipped me another dock. It didn't work either.

Their conclusion is that it is the motherboard in the Venue 11 Pro 7130, but those are on backorder so I've been waiting for over 2 weeks for a tech to come out and replace the motherboard. I have ZERO confidence that it is going to make any difference anyway, though.

I'd really love to keep the tablet, but the DP issue, combined with the occasional freezing issue and the tablet not rotating or bringing up the onscreen keyboard when the slim keyboard is folded back are really deal breakers for me! 

Ugh, Dell, why  don't you weigh in about how you're fixing these problems??

3 Posts

April 20th, 2014 05:00

. It doesn't work when connect from DP to DP or when DP to HDMI through an adapter or from DP to DVëI. It just doesn't work, period.

Are these adapters active or passive? I have had the same symptoms as you so far with passive adapters but I have an active adapter on order that should be with me soon. I will reply with either good news or bad in the next couple of days.

13 Posts

April 20th, 2014 06:00

Good news! Dell-Brian posted over here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/4586/p/19536392/20617545.aspx# a link to an old video driver. Here's the link to the driver he posted: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/dell-venue-11i-pro?driverId=PM0V7&fileId=3341758704&osCode=WB64A

I installed the old driver and the display port on the dock now works beautifully with my Dell 2412M monitor. I now have 2 external monitors being driven successfully through the dock on my Venue 11 7130.

Hope this helps.

Craig

He is risen!!

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2014 07:00

Are these adapters active or passive? I have had the same symptoms as you so far with passive adapters but I have an active adapter on order that should be with me soon. I will reply with either good news or bad in the next couple of days.

My adapter arrived today and worked straight away! strangely enough it works with or without the extra USB power even on my 42" LG HDTV... I have tested it on every monitor and TV in the house that has VGA input and it works a charm!

Cablematters.com [113047-Black] Active adapter mini HDMI to VGA

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Matters-Active-Female-Adapter-Black/dp/B007TWXAVI

Hope this is helpful!

No Events found!