Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 31st, 2010 14:00

2.1 for O2 but not for others?

With the impending launch of Android 2.1 (Eclair) for O2 streak users, I'm a bit jealous.  As a US AT&T user, I'm wondering why Dell is supporting (or allowing) a quick update there, but not for us?  I understand that Froyo is coming and should be here by the end of the year.  Which I'm really excited about.  Nevertheless, I don't quite understand why the 2.1 update couldn't be available for all Streak owners.  I realize carrier testing and other factors are at play here, but honestly there's been plenty of time for that.  Any ideas or comments on if we will ever see 2.1?

2 Intern

• 

370 Posts

August 31st, 2010 15:00

Hi FASPALMA,

The Android 2.2 over-the-air update will come later this year in the U.S. Please stay tuned to @DellCares or the Direct2Dell blog site.

References: http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/Direct2Dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2010/07/26/dell-streak-update-where-we-are.aspx

Thanks,

Amy

23 Posts

August 31st, 2010 18:00

bah bah bah

8 Posts

September 1st, 2010 06:00

what about those brought through dell website in the uk(unlocked ones)??? i still haven't recieve the 2.1 upgrade.... though i'm now outside uk in the mo for holiday....

13 Posts

September 1st, 2010 07:00

Hi Amy,

I bought my Streak in Germany (at MediaMarkt) and so far I've read a lot about updates for the UK (O2) and USA (AT&T) Streaks, but nothing about other (unlocked) devices out there, like mine.

Can you shed any light on this?

Regards,

DiLupo

September 2nd, 2010 07:00

amy i purchased my streak direct from dell in the UK and am mightily upset that i cant get the official 2.1 upgrade at teh same time as the O2 purchased lot.  I deliberately went direct to dell thinking i would get a better service having it unlocked etc, but it seems we get a worse service going direct to dell.

5 Posts

September 2nd, 2010 13:00

Same here £450 and another £75 on Dell over priced accessories on the promise of a rapid update to at least 2.1, and O2 get it first.... and those customers are effectively paying on the never never.

ex-faithful Dell customer.

5 Posts

September 6th, 2010 04:00

Wouldn't have bought it if I didn't like it, but if you sell a €500 device with a promise, best keep the promise?

13 Posts

September 6th, 2010 04:00

Hi Everyone,

It's a shame that only negatives seem to attract any attention on this forum. Although I really would like a 2.2 (or even 2.1) update, I really am very happy with my Dell Streak as it is right now. Just something I thought I'd mention here...

I guess that since it's labor day in the US right now, Amy won't be responding today. But I'd really like to hear from her a bit more than '2.2 in the US end of year'. There are people outside the US with this awesome device.

Regards,

DiLupo

11 Posts

September 6th, 2010 07:00

Same here £450 and another £135  on Dell over priced accessories....  A BUGGY UPGRADE WHICH HAS  LEFT MY PHONE IN A WORSE STATE THAN IT WAS WITH 1.6.....& IT STILL DIDNT UPDATE TO 2.1 SO NOW I HAVE A BROKEN FORM FIT CASE AND A BROKEN PHONE THANKS DELL!!!.

How  can it be that a service partner customers (O2 ) have a better experience than those who buy direct from the manufacturer I have never heard of this before.....

13 Posts

September 6th, 2010 08:00

How  can it be that a service partner customers (O2 ) have a better experience than those who buy direct from the manufacturer I have never heard of this before.....

Reading a bit through the various fora about the Dell Streak, I can't help but think that maybe the O2 customers are not really having a better experience yet. I can't be sure until I have a real update by Dell, but maybe skipping 2.1 isn't such a bad idea and just maybe Dell wants their direct customers to have a less 'difficult' experience when updating their Android version. Again, Amy please shed some light and give this optimistic client a reason to stay optimistic :emotion-5:

5 Posts

September 17th, 2010 03:00

Hi Amy (et al) - any more news about then now overdue 2.1 update for NON - O2 (unlocked, bought from Dell) for Streak users?

16 Posts

September 17th, 2010 07:00

It's the silence from Dell that makes me start to wonder about the upgrade for Non-O2/direct from Dell users...

Like most I'm really pleased with my Streak - so pleased that I want it to do more...which is why I want the upgrade - and if that means waiting till sometime this year (given it's only 3 months left) then for me anyway I think fair enough.  It's a lot to pay out for something that has the capability (and is designed to be) upgraded - if I was after something that was ok for a year then I'd stick to the free phones handed out every time I renew my contract.

But (please say if I've missed it) there's been nothing to even repeat the intention that it'll come (specifically for the unlocked/direct machines) this year.

So I'm guessing Dell should be taking all the "where's the upgrade" as good news?  People want to use their Streaks - but if they could just let me know that they still intend to upgrade mine at some point this year (as they said) then I'll keep it.

I'll continue to check for new updates twice each day in the meantime :emotion-43:

September 17th, 2010 07:00

personally i have seen so many forum posts about problems with the update, lots of issues, people wanting to go back to 1.6 that i'd rather dell get the update bug free so it doesnt interrupt my use of the device.   I also wonder if they are somehow contractually tied in wth O2 that they have to delay a month or so after the O2 update release (the direct from dell came out a month or so after it was available from O2).  So my guess is it wont come before start of october, so advice to slimeycheese is stop doing twice a day checks, relax and enjoy using it, the streak tells you automatically if it finds an update anyway !

16 Posts

September 17th, 2010 15:00

I agree -  I don't want a half-ar5ed update, but I do want an update, and Dell's silence does not give me any confidence that'll happen, given they're not perhaps as committed to mobile devices as the say HTC or Samsung. 

They could abandon the whole thing and stick with the safe option and what they're known for and what I'm pretty sure makes them their profits which is PCs and laptops - and let Microsoft handle the operating system. 

I to doubt any update for us direct to Dell people will come out in the next 2 weeks....but do enjoy the regular checking the meantime :emotion-2: - we have to hope!

September 19th, 2010 14:00

Isnt Dell Cares a oxymoron? :P

I'm going to jump ship there's too much going wrong and by the looks of it dell is going to abandon ship as well.

Yea "end of the year" Seriously?? Thanks dell froyo just what I wanted for Christmas wait what's that everyone else has :O its called Gingerbread! (Exaggerated but you get the point).

No Events found!