Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2010 11:00

Battery Life

I have been using Dell Streak for last couple of weeks. One problem that I have with the device is the battery life. It does not even long a day. I make less than 10 calls and browse approx an hr.

What is the solution to this. I would prefer have a device with a battery that last complete day.

I hope someone has a solution to this or Amy can answer this...

11 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 07:00

Too big battery killers are the GPS and WiFi.  If you aren't using them, disable them.  I only enable the GPS when I am running an app that requires it!  And the WiFi, I only enable if I want to connect with my home network for syncing or for downloading large files so I don't use up my data plan.

You can disable the GPS under Settings / Location & Security.  You can disable the WiFi under Settings / Wireless & Networks.

Disabling these will definitely help to conserve your battery.

Good luck!

10 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 10:00

I always keep them disabled. I hardly use GPS and Wifi on Dell streak. I also keep the account sync/background data disabled as it also kills the battery quite a lot.

Anything else that will help improve battery life.!The battery does not last beyond the evening for the one that is charged in the morning.

3 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 13:00

I had the same problem. I stopped using Skype and killed com.oem.lota service after reboot. I don't know what is it, but I suppose it is update OTA service, so having this service killed you won't receive update to 2.2 when it will be available. It really consumes most of power though it is not shown in battery usage. So Streak 2.1 have at least 2 bugs: com.oem.lota, consuming electricity, and wrong info in battery usage page.

10 Posts

December 3rd, 2010 07:00

I am already upgraded to 2.2 being in India. Well, I still found the com.em.lota in the managed application=>Running service. I also killed Maps and Nero Backup in Running services. I am now going to see if the battery lasts longer.

Well, what would happen if we kill com.em.lota in 2.2???

57 Posts

December 4th, 2010 01:00

When not in use disable the following items:

• bluetooth
  • WifI
  • GPS
  • data access over mobile network

The first three items in the list can be easily toggled on or off by using a power control widget. The power control widget will also allow you to easily adjust the screen brightness. The lower the screen brightness, the lower the energy consumption.

If you are using 2.2 "data access over mobile network" can be scheduled.

To see what is using your battery. Go to Settings, About phone, Battery use.

Also set the "screen timeout" to a short time. (say 1 minute). Settings, Display, Screen timeout

57 Posts

December 5th, 2010 17:00

10 Posts

December 5th, 2010 21:00

Thank you, Dr. Android and the others who tried helping me. I have right now diabled,

- Wifi

- Bluetooth

- Scheduled the data connection as I am on 2.2

- Unchecked the GPS under location

- Disabled the Background data under the Accounts & Sync settings

Hope now the battery life should increase. I will keep you folks posted.

Thanks...

December 7th, 2010 07:00

One thing I think many forget to ask you is what do you use the streak for especially if you just bought it, what apps you have installed, etc. You can kill wifi/bluetooth and GPS all day but if you're running messaging services such as ebuddy, kik, whatsapp, pingchat etc or even playing angry birds and then hitting the home button when you're done instead of using the back button until it asks you to exit you're going to kill your battery. I got 25 solid hours out of my battery yesterday, now here's how that happened, very low usage for about 8 of those hours almost not doing anything with the phone, and moderate usage for about 3-4hrs games etc and the remainder was light usage, checking an email here, reading articles etc. (Oh my background sync was on also running a few messaging apps and wifi was off entirely along with the other two GPS,bluetooth) When someone first gets the phone they use it a ton, I'm used to it now so I pick it up only when needed.

Android puts the power in your hands, meaning the user, however with great power comes great responsibility, try to find an exit button for every application you use unless you want it to remain running in the background, I keep the screen brightness low because its too bright for me. even at medium. I prefer the extra functionality given by android, though apple will not allow anything to run in the background and that saves them battery life but with android I have the choice of letting it run or closing it. Good luck to you, I'm sure you'll get your battery there to your liking soon.

10 Posts

December 7th, 2010 08:00

Anthony,

You are absolutely right in every word you mentioned in your message. Infact, I have upgraded from HTC hero to Dell Streak and I am loving it. I briefly used iPhone 4 but was not happy with it.

Well, coming back to our discussion...I have only mobile network i.e data plan switched on and with the screen display in automatic, I could get 24 hrs of battery life. Ofcourse, I had 8 hrs included during which I didnt use the phone at all.

I guess I will play around with the features and functionality provided.

Thanks folks and appreciate it...

No Events found!