Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2016 21:00

Can't Upgrade Dell Venue 8 Pro to Windows 10 1511

I've tried upgrading my Dell Venue 8 Pro running Windows 10 to the Windows 10 Update from November (1511); everything goes well unitl the device restarts and then it gets to "Updating Windows 40%" and stalls. This has happened twice now. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Michael

5 Posts

February 9th, 2016 05:00

This might be the craziest thing, but believe it or not, if you have a micro SD card in your slot while you're updating this could actually be the problem. I actually stumbled across this same issue just yesterday as I was attempting to update from Win 8.1 to Win 10 on mines. 

Apparently from what I discovered through loads of looking is that it's actually some sort of Windows update that came about in November that will hang up updating Win 10 if you leave a micro SD card in the SD card slot (the telltale signs are usually the '40%' point of it stalling, this seems to be when everyone runs into this hiccup). Try taking any card out prior to before you start performing the update (either put your update on a USB flash drive and use a dongle attachment to the micro USB port; or like I did, I just put my micro SD card int a USB flash adapter--it's an adapter that looks like a typical USB thumb drive except it has a little slot on the back that you can side the micro SD card at the end of it).

I know once I did that, as have with others, the update continued on without a hitch.

915 Posts

February 9th, 2016 08:00

This might be the craziest thing, but believe it or not, if you have a micro SD card in your slot while you're updating this could actually be the problem. I actually stumbled across this same issue just yesterday as I was attempting to update from Win 8.1 to Win 10 on mines. 

Apparently from what I discovered through loads of looking is that it's actually some sort of Windows update that came about in November that will hang up updating Win 10 if you leave a micro SD card in the SD card slot (the telltale signs are usually the '40%' point of it stalling, this seems to be when everyone runs into this hiccup). Try taking any card out prior to before you start performing the update (either put your update on a USB flash drive and use a dongle attachment to the micro USB port; or like I did, I just put my micro SD card int a USB flash adapter--it's an adapter that looks like a typical USB thumb drive except it has a little slot on the back that you can side the micro SD card at the end of it).

I know once I did that, as have with others, the update continued on without a hitch.

Many thanks for your suggestions!

828 Posts

February 16th, 2016 17:00

Which Venue 8 Pro is it?   You might also make sure you have the latest BIOS prior to attempting the update.

86 Posts

February 20th, 2016 11:00

delete the installation files already downloaded and then use the media creation tool on ANOTHER PC to make a bootable USB stick. Next use a USB dongle to attach drive and then change BIOS to boot from USB first.

17 Posts

February 20th, 2016 20:00

That'd be great but how do you tell the Venue 8 pro to boot from a USB stick?

I have a Dell Venue 8 model T01D that I upgraded to Windows 10 (officially per Dell it's supported) but I really want to get back to 8.1.  Dell was even kind enough to send me a package containing an OTG cable and a 8GB USB stuck containing their official Windows 8 Pro image for this Venue (seems legit, it's stamped with a MS and Dell logo, has a Dell part number of 7478v_A00), but I can't get the darn tablet to boot from it.

If I switch the boot order in the BIOS settings, it ignores it and boots to Windows 10 anyway. Even if I delete the Windows Boot Loader option entirely.

If I hold shift while restarting from 10 and get to the recovery options and tell THAT to boot from USB, it also simply ignores it.

Back in the BIOS settings I tried to add a new boot entry and I browse the USB stick to the '/efi/boot/bootx64.efi' as the file location, and then it asks me for a file name (no idea why, I just selected a file in the list), but no matter what I type there (junk or 'bootx64.efi' again, whatever), it simply dumps back to the boot options and doesn't add an entry.

I've tried booting with this USB being the only thing in the drive, or using a powered hub (as recommended by these instructions from Dell) connected to the USB and a keyboard/mouse. No luck, still just ignores it and boots up as normal.

Secure Boot is off.

I don't know what to try next, any help would be appreciated.  Dell sent me this stick and OTG cable as a courtesy, but won't provide actual support to get it installed because the tablet is past warranty. I only paid $99 for the tablet and they want several times that to help me, so I'm on my own.

I guess I should be happy it is in working order with Windows 10, but there's issues with it and I'd like to put this thing back to day 1 condition. I don't understand why it won't boot from the stick.  And honestly, what would Dell do if I sent it to them?  If they have these pre-made recovery USB sticks, why doesn't it work?

5 Posts

February 21st, 2016 13:00

That'd be great but how do you tell the Venue 8 pro to boot from a USB stick?

I have a Dell Venue 8 model T01D that I upgraded to Windows 10 (officially per Dell it's supported) but I really want to get back to 8.1.  Dell was even kind enough to send me a package containing an OTG cable and a 8GB USB stuck containing their official Windows 8 Pro image for this Venue (seems legit, it's stamped with a MS and Dell logo, has a Dell part number of 7478v_A00), but I can't get the darn tablet to boot from it.

If I switch the boot order in the BIOS settings, it ignores it and boots to Windows 10 anyway. Even if I delete the Windows Boot Loader option entirely.

If I hold shift while restarting from 10 and get to the recovery options and tell THAT to boot from USB, it also simply ignores it.

Back in the BIOS settings I tried to add a new boot entry and I browse the USB stick to the '/efi/boot/bootx64.efi' as the file location, and then it asks me for a file name (no idea why, I just selected a file in the list), but no matter what I type there (junk or 'bootx64.efi' again, whatever), it simply dumps back to the boot options and doesn't add an entry.

I've tried booting with this USB being the only thing in the drive, or using a powered hub (as recommended by these instructions from Dell) connected to the USB and a keyboard/mouse. No luck, still just ignores it and boots up as normal.

Secure Boot is off.

I don't know what to try next, any help would be appreciated.  Dell sent me this stick and OTG cable as a courtesy, but won't provide actual support to get it installed because the tablet is past warranty. I only paid $99 for the tablet and they want several times that to help me, so I'm on my own.

I guess I should be happy it is in working order with Windows 10, but there's issues with it and I'd like to put this thing back to day 1 condition. I don't understand why it won't boot from the stick.  And honestly, what would Dell do if I sent it to them?  If they have these pre-made recovery USB sticks, why doesn't it work?

How long have you been running on Windows 10 on your dell? I'm about 2 weeks in to using it (not only on my dell pro 8, but my HP envy 14 that previously ran Win 7), so I'm still feeling it out, too, but from my understanding Win 10 gives you about 30 days from install/upgrade to be able to revert back to your previous Windows--given you didn't do a completely clean install, I'd imagine or manually delete your 'old' Windows install files.

Have you tried going into 'Settings' > 'Update & Security' > 'Recovery' ?

Like I mentioned before, if all you did was a simple upgrade and it's been less than a month since you did it, then it should still show an option to roll back to Win 8. If you're past a month though, maybe the next option to try would be to use the 'Advanced Startup' option. It would seem from this option it will allow you to start it from a device such as a usb or whatnot. It's possible using that option will 'allow' Windows to recognize that usb for Win 8, then?

Or course, I'm just throwing that out there, I don't know how well that will work for you, though. The only other dramatic option to do if those fail, would more than likely  be to format the whole flipping harddrive within the tablet (save what you want, if you want) and then use that dell usb to straight up install Win 8 all over again from scratch. 

5 Posts

February 21st, 2016 13:00

Shivey

Many thanks for your suggestions!

No problem! :)

17 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 06:00

That roll-back option isn't available on tablets with such limited storage space, unfortunately.  I'd absolutely love to format the drive and fresh-install 8 from the nice USB recovery stick they sent me, but it won't boot up from it.

5 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 11:00

CmdrKeene

That roll-back option isn't available on tablets with such limited storage space, unfortunately.

Really?  You might need to look into that some--for whatever it's worth, I've seen numerous posts from DV8P owners who have rolled back from Win10.

Yeah, I'd have to concur with this, because like I mentioned the only reason you won't have this option is 1) I suppose if you went past a month of having it installed (thus Windows 10 automatically deleted those files) or 2) you've done an clean install (and not just an upgrade).

As Mikerman noted, I can confirm I still have the option to roll back on mines (as I mentioned previously, I only have had it installed for about 2 wks)--and even my former Windows 7 HP has it. Of course, I did it from a upgrade and not some sort of clean install.

915 Posts

February 22nd, 2016 11:00

That roll-back option isn't available on tablets with such limited storage space, unfortunately.

Really?  You might need to look into that some--for whatever it's worth, I've seen numerous posts from DV8P owners who have rolled back from Win10.

915 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 08:00

Mikerman

CmdrKeene

Yeah, I'd have to concur with this, because like I mentioned the only reason you won't have this option is 1) I suppose if you went past a month of having it installed (thus Windows 10 automatically deleted those files) or 2) you've done an clean install (and not just an upgrade).

As Mikerman noted, I can confirm I still have the option to roll back on mines (as I mentioned previously, I only have had it installed for about 2 wks)--and even my former Windows 7 HP has it. Of course, I did it from a upgrade and not some sort of clean install.

I'm just curious, Shivey:  do you have the 32GB or the 64GB DV8P?  Was wondering if that could make a difference as to the rollback opportunity (but I kind of doubt that). 

5 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 10:00

Shivey
Mikerman

CmdrKeene

I'm just curious, Shivey:  do you have the 32GB or the 64GB DV8P?  Was wondering if that could make a difference as to the rollback opportunity (but I kind of doubt that). 

I have the 32gb. Don't get me wrong, it took some finesse to get past a few space-related 'hiccups', lol, but once I worked around that--it installed fine. I would like to think that while space does play a role, I think the that's the thing to realize about the Windows 10 update. If there wasn't enough space for adqueate installation for Windows 10 the install wouldn't even continue. 

So it's either CmdrKeene did a clean install and may not have any rollback files or they went past a month of having Windows 10 and Windows deleted those files automatically.

17 Posts

February 23rd, 2016 10:00

I definitely didn't do a clean install, I just let the automatic update occur.  I did uninstall quite a few things (almost all desktop things like Office 365) to make space, but after it was done I'm pretty sure there was no rollback option. But moot now anyway because it's definitely been over a month.  Heck it's been over a month just since Dell sent me that recovery drive USB stick.

But I have good news, the problem was they sent me the wrong USB stick.  They sent me a 64-bit version, and it wouldn't boot from it.  My Surface Pro 3 would though when I tested, so I dug deeper and found it it was indeed the recovery image for a 64-bit Windows 8.1 image.

So I went to the Windows 8.1 "create your own recovery media" webpage here, used the tool to create a 32-bit USB stick for myself, and the Dell tablet booted from it exactly as it should have and began the setup steps. I choose "custom install", then I formatted the primary partition, chose it as the target, and it installed perfectly.  A few hours and about 170 KB updates later, I'm back in business.

(As Dell outlines on their tablet imaging process, you do need a (powered preferred) USB hub and keyboard since the touch drivers aren't available during install). And at least Dell included the necessary OTG cable adapter when they sent the stick, so it wasn't totally useless :)

915 Posts

February 24th, 2016 07:00

Sometimes it's the simplest of things that causes the most major of hiccups and frustrations . . .   Glad that you're back in operation!   :emotion-1:

6 Posts

March 2nd, 2016 15:00

I had problems with this for months.  I was able to do the original Win 10 on line upgrade, and all the updates since, except for the November major update.  I finally got it to work several days ago.  I have a 64GB with 64 GB SD card added.  I had to remove a lot of stuff to get some free space on the C: drive and I finally turned off almost everything in the startup and I deleted all the Dell Applications and to my amazement it worked just fine.  One of the things I noticed since then is that applications can now be installed to the SD Card, although not moved.  Also I had removed Office 365 to make more room, but was able to reinstall after the upgrade.  Don't know what actually allowed me to make the update work, but I at least know it does work with an SD Card present..

I've enabled all the startup apps again and it's still working fine.

No Events found!