This post is more than 5 years old

JL

2 Intern

• 

480 Posts

November 4th, 2016 15:00

Chipset Install Failed

Windows 10 on Venue 8 Pro.

Dell Support Assist shows I have one update available - Chipset  Intel Atom Z3000 series, version 603.9600..2067.27988.A00

It downloads, but after the installation runs, it says FAILED.  Tried 3 times.

Any ideas?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 6th, 2016 22:00

Hi Jeff,

I would suggest you to manually download and install the chipset driver to check if it works.Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS from BIOS section and chipset from chipset section onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please let me know if this helps.

2 Intern

• 

480 Posts

November 7th, 2016 11:00

I ĵust downloaded it and tried to install it.

Maybe the error is that the updated driver is  being reported as one that I don't have.  I don't know how to check to see which drivers are installed.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 9th, 2016 01:00

Hi Jeff,

Please continue to install the chipset driver downloaded and then consider reinstalling the support assist again from the link below.

http://dell.to/1hAPOXr

Please let me know the findings.

2 Intern

• 

480 Posts

November 9th, 2016 15:00

I went ahead and ran the install.  It failed.  I uninstalled then reinstalled Dell Support Assist.  It told me the Chipset update was available.  I tried installing it again from Support Assist.  It failed again.  I tried looking for new drivers from the support page.  It told me the chipset update was available.  How can I check to see if it is already installed? Is it an entry in the device manager?

How can

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 13th, 2016 19:00

Hi Jeff,

I would suggest you to run the Intel utility on the system using the link : http://dell.to/2fOjBzA and install the necessary drivers on the tablet.

8 Posts

February 8th, 2017 10:00

@DELL-Ravi CH I have the same issue but I'm on Windows 8.1 after a factory reset.  (NOTE: I created another post before I saw this one.)

I had already gone through the same steps as Jeff Leites with the same results.  I ran the Intel Utility from the link you provided.  It did NOT indicate that it needed the chipset driver.  It DID find another driver -- graphics driver -- that it said needed installed. So I proceeded.  When it got through the install, it reported that the driver is not validated for this system.

So, can we get someone who can figure out which driver is really needed where and resolve this?

17 Posts

June 24th, 2018 08:00

i still have this problem.

6 Posts

July 5th, 2018 10:00

The fix is easy. Simply uninstall Dell Support Assist. It truly is garbage. It told me I had not one, but two BIOS updates, one wasn't even for my tablet. This was right after I manually updated the BIOS to the latest. It also kept telling me there were updates with various other drivers. I simply ignored them, then uninstalled Support Assist. If nothing's broken, don't worry about 'fixing' it.

1 Message

July 26th, 2018 13:00

Hi Ravi, I have similar complaints about SupportAssist as the other posts in this thread.

On my Inspiron 11-3147, the latest SupportAssist (v2.2.3.2) shows 2 driver installs as "Recommended": Intel Chipset and Wireless 1707 WiFi+BT.

Clicking "Install", this Status progression for each driver: Loading; Downloading (with progress bar); Installing; then Failed. Repeatedly, even after system restart.

Mucking with Windows manually scares heck out of me, and I don't want to do stuff manually... I use this laptop to perform 3x per week and can't take chances on screwing something up. Why doesn't SupportAssist handle this? 

PS there is an important reason to update drivers: This laptop crashes when going into, or coming out of, sleep. It has done that since the day I bought it new, 2 years ago. The problem is now more troublesome with the recent install of Windows 10 v1803... 3x longer to boot. In Dell Support Community, I see a lot of users report a sleep-crash problem with their Dell laptops, and half of the "solutions" seem to be to update drivers.

PPS, Dell Update tells me my "system" is up to date. I assume that means BIOS, since SupportAssist disagrees concerning drivers.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Lani

1 Message

January 26th, 2019 09:00

i kept runnung it for about 10 times and it finally instlled

2 Posts

March 15th, 2019 11:00

I downloaded the installer from the support.dell.com website, and ran as administrator. then instead of clicking the install button, click the 'extract' button. save the files to a chipset-driver folder on the desktop or wherever you want, then find the setup.exe in that folder, should work fine!

1 Message

September 21st, 2019 12:00

Tried the download, extract, run as administrator.  Still get "unknown error" and failed to install.

No Events found!