Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

SS

February 1st, 2018 07:00

Dell Canvas as 2nd Monitor

Hi, I have a Dell Canvas and would like to use it as a non primary monitor. Currently when I do that, it is non functional because when using the pen the cursor appears on my regular monitor instead of the canvas. If the canvas is set to the primary monitor, then it works fine. Is there a way around this? I unfortunately cannot install the latest drivers for the canvas as they require Creators Update and I'm in an enterprise setup where I cannot do this.

Thank you for any help in the matter, 

--Brad

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 2nd, 2018 07:00

I do not have the Canvas 27 to test on. But based on the training page, I see two configurations;
Extended Non-Touch
Primary Touch

But I do not see Extended + Touch.

The below cable connections set up will allow the Dell Canvas 27 to function as an Extended non-touch monitor =

NonTouchHDMI.JPG

NonTouchDP.JPG

NonTouchmDP.JPG

The below cable connections set up will allow the Dell Canvas 27 to function as the Primary Touch monitor =

TouchUSB.JPG

TouchUSBC.JPG

February 5th, 2018 00:00

To tell Windows which monitor to use for your stylus, open the Canvas Pen app. Once there, click on Configure Displays and follow the on-screen instructions. This will enable you to choose which monitor to use with the stylus.

3 Posts

June 14th, 2019 14:00

So, what's the punch line... If you want touch to work, it has to be the primary monitor?

1 Message

November 3rd, 2019 09:00

So far that seems to be it, which is a pain as my Dell Monitor is 4K.

November 3rd, 2020 11:00

The solution given below to use the Dell Pen Utility to tell the computer which monitor to use for the pen is only a partial solution.  After enabling this, such that the canvas is the secondary monitor, and is set to use the pen, touching the canvas with my fingers causes the other monitor to react.  For instance, if I open a browser in both monitors, touch the canvas the browser on the other screen responds.  Oddly, touching with the pen does work on the correct monitor.

You actually have to do one more step; tell windows where to handle touch, as opposed to pen, touch.  Here is the article that explains the solution: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/touch-screen-registers-input-on-wrong-screen/331cca14-36e4-4ce9-9f46-f924271d81f0

No Events found!