Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 22nd, 2014 08:00

Dell Pro Venue 11 - constant fan noise

I purchased the Dell Pro Venue 11, Core I5 model along with the Dell dock.

I am one of the few fortunate ones to have my dock work with 2 external monitors.

I am now using this for my daily work PC.

I have noticed that the fan constantly runs, nearly every minute.

Even worse, I'm really not doing anything too CPU intensive, just using Outlook 2013, a Java program, Putty, and a Web Browser.

Has anyone else experienced this. 

6 Posts

June 24th, 2014 10:00

BTW, I've reinstalled this damn thing about 6 times now (everytime using the repair option in Windows 8), but it doesn't change a lot.

You could try, but I don't want to give you any hope...

June 24th, 2014 11:00

My issue was that I had a program that kept running and it would take about 30% or more of my processor constantly. I found a forum on this from Nuance. My PDF Converter was the culprit. Once I disabled this from loading at start up it stopped the fan noise. This is just my experience.

28 Posts

June 28th, 2014 23:00

I know this is old thread but my core i3 dell venue 11 pro fan is blowing full spees and I am wondering if it is ok to leave it running overnight. It id converting video files do that is what is causing the fan to kick in buy it is blowing so loud I am scared it will blow out. Well I will see how it is in morning, if I can goto sleep with that noise.

29 Posts

July 13th, 2014 17:00

Hi -- I have the 7130 i5 4300Y /8GB Ram/256GB SSD and my fan issue is whenever I play video, the fan kicks in. I set the power max of the CPU in my power plan to Max 20%, and the CPU Frequency max is about .56GHz, with max Wattage usually at 4.24 Watts. I also set the power plan to passive cooling. I got the Intel XTU tool, but there's no out of the box "undervolt" profile option. [http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html]

Is there anyway I can get my Venue 11 Pro undervolted/underclocked enough that when I play videos, the fan wont kick in? It seems the fan kicks in more on AC power (even with matching profiles for CPU/Power performance.) It a great machine, only marred by the fan. I can expect the fan kicking on Turbo crunching numbers/compiling code, but on video playback?

I had the 11 Baytrail which was awesome, but returned it because the 2GB Ram was very limiting (coupled with a very limiting 64GB emmc.) If the Baytrail model had 4+ GB Ram and NGFF SSD, I'd rather have that with no fans :)

Thanks in advance.

3 Posts

September 22nd, 2014 11:00

Today is Sept 22, 2014 - and Dell just released a new BIOS update A13 on the Sept 18, 2014. I just applied it and it appears to have quieted my fan significantly. I'm on dual 23 inch 1080p monitors (one on DP, other on HDMI converted to VGA), plus the Venue Pro screen on - all at 1920x1080 on the dock. Basically a triple screen setup.

I was on A12 and the fan noise was intolerable.  I was using the tablet last night and my wife heard the fan from a distance and thought someone was vacuuming in the other room!

A13 seems to have fixed the issue but I remain cautiously optimistic. 

I'm on a Venue Pro 11, 7130 vPro, i5-4300Y, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD. Win8.1 Ent x64

29 Posts

September 22nd, 2014 12:00

Thanks for letting me know -- could you download HWmon and report back here with your CPU temps?

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 00:00

22 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 02:00

Another example after installing BIOS A13 - from very noisy fan to no noise :-)

29 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 08:00

Thanks Andy and Henry. Andy, when you did your screenshot, did you have any processes running like playing back 1080P video and/or anything else? Those temps seem high just for idle. Henry, I assume you had no running apps when you took yours? I have two of these tablets, and one runs about 10C cooler than the other. What I did was disable HyperThreading and Turboboost in the BIOS and limited CPU performance in the Power options in Control Panel. Still, by doing that, I hit the mid-very low 60's when playing back video. I'll post my HW screenshots tonight from both tablets.

29 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 15:00

Hi Andy, thanks for the update. Here's a screen shot of the 7130 that runs 10C hot than the other, with nothing "active" running, just default processes. I'll attach another with some active processes later. Keep in mind, my idle also includes disabled HT and Turboboost, and I'm running A11 BIOS

3 Posts

September 23rd, 2014 15:00

Hi Adobepro,

My Venue Pro was not idling.  I had Outlook 2013, Lync 2013, OneNote 2013, IE 11 with 5 tabs open - one playing a YouTube video in the native player (not full screened) in HD. I was also VPN'ed via Cisco AnyConnect, also running OneDrive for Biz, Symantec AV - and the basic services.  It was also 85F in my home office when I took the screenshot. 

Second day with A13 has been good.  For the most part, the fan runs constantly but 1/4 the speed it did before.  Very quiet and tolerable.  No instability issues. 

22 Posts

September 24th, 2014 13:00

I did not have many apps open - here is a status running Chrome, IE, RadioSure (internet radio), Outlook and Explorer. Still no noise at all...

3 Posts

May 10th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

I got black screen and the device did not turn on. Brought it to Dell and they replaced the motherboard.

Now Using bios version A13 from 15 Sept 2014, temperature of the both cores is around 56-57 grad Celsius and the fan kicks off. The noise is very annoying. 

CPU usage shows 10-15%.

Is there anything that can be done to solve this issue?

3 Posts

May 11th, 2015 01:00

Hi, 

just for comparison, I took a look at the indicators of my company's laptop (HP Elitebook 840).

Both cores work at 45 Grad Celsius, RAM used is around 5 GB!; a lot of processes running at the background ( 10 tabs in Chrome), 3 excel files, outlook, Lync, Windows Explorer and still NO fan is running. It does not make any noise at all.

Taking into account the values that I described in the post above for the Venue 11 Pro 

I am fully inclined to think that this is a DELL issue with the configuration of the Hardware. Gladly I have extended the warranty of my Venue 11 Pro but this still does not solve the problem of the loud constant noise that the fan makes.

Even when the fan of the HP Elitebook 840 works, I cannot hear it. If I would like to hear the fan noise I have to put my ear 2 cm from the fan, so that I can hear anything. This is how every tablet or laptop device is supposed to work nowadays.

If I had the chance to return the Venue 11 Pro I would have done it long time ago.

I also bought a monitor from DELL UZ 2315  23". In the first month the built in camera crashed (2 blue lines showed up in the picture). I brought it to Dell Service and waited more than 3 weeks for replacement. Just ridiculous (brand new monitor).

Will never buy anything from Dell anymore. They certainly have lowered a lot the quality inspection in their China's manufacturing plants.

DELL Team, any comments on this topic?

28 Posts

May 11th, 2015 06:00

Well, I finally got tablet registered in my name but I am out of warranty now....  If so many people are having g this issue which must be because of the motherboard, I wonder why dell cannot replace it.

No Events found!