Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 13th, 2012 06:00

Dell Streak 7 wont charge

I have had it for about 6 months with nothing but minor issue after issue. Now I plugged it into the charger to day and I got a display I had never seen before. I figured out it was the 'dock mode' screen. I dont have a dock station. I removed the charger several times at all connection points but keeps going to this dock mode. I have restarted the system numerous times. Checked every setting I could but nothing has changed. I tried resetting using the reset button. I ended up doing a factory reset and that didnt help. I used up the last 23% of a charge I had trying to get it to charge now I can't turn it on to try anything else. I understand why they discontinued this thing.

Does any one have any recommendations other than tossing it from a moving car?

January 16th, 2012 02:00

lol....my Dell rep said it is a charger issue. I guess I will find out tomorrow when the new charger arrives. Of course my rep was in another country somewhere looking through manuals while he tried to help me. Basically read the user manual to me word for word then took a guess it was the charger.

172 Posts

January 13th, 2012 06:00

Check pins on both the connector and the port on the ds7 to see if there is anything broken. Something is causing this and it is most likely a hardware problem.

January 13th, 2012 07:00

Nothing appears to be broken and/or bent with either port connection. The thing must be making contact if it goes into dock mode when it is connected. But for some reason it is recognizing it as just a usb connection and not a charger.

172 Posts

January 13th, 2012 09:00

I forgot that you are out of battery.  Try keeping it plug in over night. Some people report that leaving it plug in for a long time will get it to start charging.

172 Posts

January 13th, 2012 09:00

1. Try connecting the port without power (not plug in) to see if it goes to dock mode. If it does, then call Dell for replacement charger.

2. There exsist a work around to bypass dock mode. Put ds7 on standby for about 1 min. Plug in connector, then wake up ds7. It should bypass dock mode. Now plug it in to see it will charge.

January 13th, 2012 15:00

I have had it plugged in since this mornings post and nothing. The light just flashes when I try to turn it on. I have loved Dell for years now. Have a XPS Desktop and laptop for myself and two other Dells for my family without any issues for years. I am so disappointed in this product. I will have to contact Dell in the morning and see what they will do. Thanks for all the posts Otnos. I had my fingers crossed one of the tips would work. I will leave it plugged in overnight just to see but not anticipating it working.

2 Posts

January 13th, 2012 15:00

My streak7 will not charge and plug on both ends are good. Brand new at Christmas only has had 1 charge!!!! Tried resetting it multiple time and no help??????????

2 Posts

January 14th, 2012 10:00

Exactly what mine was doing. Called this morning and have to return it. Dell rep said that there is a software issue that they have to fix. Finally after 2 weeks of rebooting and resetting I finally got the problem resolved!!!!

4 Posts

February 27th, 2012 00:00

I called last night. I called the right number, was transferred 4 times by guys who's names I couldn't pronounce, and told I have to transfer ownership as I bought at Best Buy. Told it was a charger issue, but I have an additional OEM charger for it that's not working, as well as new cable, and still same thing: dock mode, not charging. I just ordered a 42" plasma LG tv from them that's in route. I'm half tempted to CANCEL due to this horrible service.

15 Posts

April 12th, 2012 09:00

Issue after Issue! This thing is worthless! So angry about this, now I cannot charge the thing - been trying for the past two hours!! Never had so many problems with a device! It just breaks on its own! I hate it! Never buying another dell product as long as I live!!!

4 Posts

May 16th, 2012 17:00

I had to file warranty claim and it took until end of March to get it handled. A "Sebastian" got my address wrong after 20 minutes of trying and when the first box was returned to them? Dell cancelled everything. It took a couple more weeks before I got the return packaging after multiple FedEx delivery attempts... due to again a bad address from Dell.

Their repair was to just send a replacement. This replacement lasted barely two months and now it has again started going in to DOCK MODE and refusing to charge. When they sent the replacement, it came with NO CHARGER OR CABLE. Fun fact is that this time, I know it's NOT the battery.

When the cord is all the way in, it goes in to dock mode and refuses to charge. If you barely pull it out some, it charges.

The new Hindu Dell Mobility Expert filed a new claim for tablet #2, and advised me that if they deem it, they will bill me $249 dollars to repair their garbage. It's the charger connection to the motherboard, no doubt. The contact pins are immaculate.

PS: I bought the $60 Otterbox Defender case, and it has never left my bedroom as it is only a alarm clock and my morning newspaper.

I will never again buy Dell. When they move their call centers back to the United States, I will reconsider. But until then? Nothing. And furthermore: the "pin hole reset" doesn't do spit, and nor does (and I can't believe they said this) attempting to charge it from my computer's USB port. That's right... they told me to attempt to charge their own device that requires 5v 2amp to charge off a home computer!

No Events found!