Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2010 09:00

Dell Streak Froyo (2.2) Update Frequently Asked Questions

Hi Folks,
I created this FAQ to share updated information and answers to some of the more popular questions we've been getting. Feel free to post any additional questions and/or comments here regarding the Froyo update on the Dell Streak.

Thanks,
Amy

Q. What if I am not a current Streak owner, but I plan to buy from Best Buy or Dell directly in the U.S.? Will Froyo be pre-installed?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. For those AT&T customers who purchased a Streak from Best Buy prior to the Froyo update, here is a link to download the update if you don’t have it already: http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg
Also, Streak with Froyo pre-installed is currently available on www.dell.com in the U.S.

Q. When will the Open Source code for Streak Froyo be available?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Source code is now available at http://opensource.dell.com/releases/streak/ .

Q. What if I buy my Streak in Japan, Korea or Singapore? Will it have Froyo preinstalled?
A. Yes, Streaks purchased in Japan, Korea or Singapore will have Froyo preinstalled.

Q. What if I installed a non-Dell version of Android on my Streak? Will I still get the update?
A. No.  The update will only be deployed to Streak units which have Dell-provided versions of Android.

Q. Where is the link to the Dell Mobile Sync software?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. On the Dell Support Site, under Drivers and Downloads:

Q. What if I don’t want to use the Dell Stage Interface?
A. You can remove it by holding down your finger on the widget shortcut and choosing the delete option.

Q. Can I run the update, even if I don’t get the official notice, by copying the URL from someone else’s device?
A.  No, the final link to download the 2.2 Froyo update will be non-functional unless the browsing session is initiated via the software update mechanism on the Streak device. This is because the software update application in the device communicates with the OTA update server to authenticate the update session.   The link to the update is dynamically set to download the correct software package based on the device that is connecting to the update server. Please wait for the software update notice to display on the device itself, when your version of the software is ready for the upgrade.  You can continue to check for updates manually by going to Menu->Settings->About device->System Updates which will connect to the update server and correctly check for an update.

Q. Why is UK getting Froyo update before US?
A. Technically, that is not true. I'd like to clarify a rumor that got started Friday because of two tweets from UK customers. They had received an update message in error last Friday. I followed up with the team that deploys the updates and found out a small set of devices may have received a “Software Update is available” notice but when they selected it, they were directed to a webpage that indicated “No software updates available at this time.”  Shortly after I sent out the apology tweets to the two users, I got an update from the deployment team apologizing for the brief glitch. They also noted that the issue was fixed and no further devices would receive notices until the actual update was turned on. This OTA update is rolling out in phases to different groups of customers. Although I can’t share the exact scheduling, I can say that this week folks who were part of the US Beta testing group will be some of the first to receive the update. Then, folks in Europe with unlocked devices will start to receive the update.

Q. Why can't I have the EXACT date when my device will receive the Froyo update?
A. This has been a very controlled release and several factors affect the rollout. There are also many reasons for not sharing specific dates. For one thing, the rollout schedule changes periodically. This allows our deployment team to stop and fix issues they may discover. Other factors include logistics and coordination/approvals from third party providers. Appreciate your feedback and patience while we continue to roll the update out.

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, I received the OTA Froyo update, but I am getting the redirect error. When will Dell fix this?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Here is the latest Android 2.2 update for the unlocked phones that are currently on Dell version 3.09 or 3.15  that fixes the issue with browser redirect errors:

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, but have not received the update yet.
UPDATED 12-14-10
A.  Everyone (globally) who purchased an Unlocked version of the Streak should have received an update notice by now. If not, please manually check for your update by either 1. shutting down and rebooting or 2. going to Streak Settings – About Device and selecting System Updates.

1 Message

November 15th, 2010 15:00

I live in Canada and I ordered a Rogers-locked Streak direct from Dell Canada on November 9. When I read today that unlocked Streak is coming in a few weeks I called Customer Service Rep and tried to cancel my order. I want an unlocked unit. The CSR told me that my order is almost through the manufacturing process and they cannot cancel it at this stage. He said that I can return it when the courier delivers it to me. My question for you is, will Dell Canada also sell the unlocked units? If so, when? Alternatively, will there be any problem if I purchase the unlocked unit from the US?

2 Intern

• 

370 Posts

November 15th, 2010 15:00

Hi Grizlore,

Good point. Thanks for asking for clarification. Factory installed also means the previous OTA updates that our European customers received for 2.1. In hindsight, the term "Dell provided" probably would have been more suitable. I will update the post.

Thanks,

Amy

14 Posts

November 15th, 2010 17:00

my streak has:

firmware version: 2.1-update 1

baseband version: GAUSB1A120621-US

Kernel version: 2.6.29-perf

OEM Version: GAUSB1A120621

Build number: 8105.

I purchased it from the original buyer who only had it a few weeks and was going to return it to dell but decided to sell it to me. I did not know that he had updated the software. I did call Dell and have transferred the registration into my name. I find this to be the perfect device for me and would love to take advantage of the update.

What do I need to do to recieve the update?

ps. I am on AT&T and they have unlocked it for me so when I travel overseas I can use a sim card from the country I am in.

Thanks

ran

1 Message

November 15th, 2010 17:00

This is the same case for me.  I bought the streak off contract at full price and received an unlock code from ATT for the device.  Curious when I'll receive the update now...

119 Posts

November 15th, 2010 18:00

Found this from a user on StreaSmart.com:

For those wondering, I'm not sure getting your device unlocked at this point (if you have a carrier-locked AT&T or O2 device) is going to help you get the update any faster. What governs whether you see the OTA update notification is not whether your phone is locked or unlocked, but rather what software version you have. If your baseband (and OEM version) ends in -00 then you have a phone that was sold as "retail unlocked," meaning not locked to a carrier or contract. O2 phones end in -21 and AT&T phones in -31. So say you have a -31 phone locked to AT&T -- even if you were able to get subsidy unlock code to unlock the phone to be used on other carriers, that isn't going to change your software version (it will still be -31) and you still aren't going to get the update for the -00 devices when it comes out. (The device actually pings a Web site on boot-up and looks for an update that matches the value stored in the "OEM Version" in Settings -> About -> Phone.) You can actually edit that value if you have a rooted device so that then your phone would "see" the -00 update, but the install would fail because a -31 phone can't install a -00 update because the recovery images don't match.

This is all by way of saying, if you have installed a non-Dell version (like the O2 2.1 update, installed on a -31 or -00 device), then you need to search for the appropriate resources to flash back to your original factory image or you will not get the correct update. (If you have a US device and have flashed the -21 O2 image, I suppose you might actually get the O2 -21 FroYo image over the air when it's available, but it would be better to flash back to stock so you get the correct AT&T version.) Flashing back to the correct system, boot, and recovery images (and correct baseband) isn't easy, but the instructions are out there.

All this information about the Streak in the US and the UK and everywhere else. BUT Rogers in Canada just released this device and NOT one word on ANY site if the Rogers Dell Streak will be getting 2.2. This is very frustrating to someone who wants to research before making this purchase. No Rogers employees know, or customer service from Dell or Rogers. So my Question is simple. Is Rogers ( ie Canada ) getting the 2.2 update as well. AND will it be with the rest of the world, or will the device I might purchase be out of date the second I buy it. 

1 Message

my streak has:

firmware version: 2.1-update 1

baseband version: GAUSB1A120621-EU

Kernel version: 2.6.29-perf

OEM Version: WWW.ANDROID-WORKS.COM

I purchased it in HK and use it in Hong Kong. Since I can use any sim card for it, I suppose it was not locked. When I check for updates manually by going to Menu->Settings->About device->System Updates which return "runtime error"

When will I got the update and How?

Pls help!

Thank you!

119 Posts

I just got my US streak from Dell.com last week.  What is your return policy as I would like the unlocked Dell Streak instead.  I bought it unsubsidized.  I have a feeling the version of Froyo that comes to the locked ATT streaks will be missing features such as tethering.  Which is why I want the unlocked one instead.  Please let me know if I can return my current streak so I can reorder a new unlocked one or if I can exchange it somehow.

119 Posts

That was supposed to say Streaksmart.com of course :)

Hi Amy,

As you mentioned above

"Additionally, within the next few weeks, an unlocked version of the Streak with Froyo pre-installed will be available on www.dell.com in the U.S.  I’ll post back here once I have some solid dates."

Isn't Dell already selling "Unlocked Streak"? Does that mean its going to  be a new hardware with new 3G frequencies which will work on TMobile (US) network?

Thank you.

119 Posts

November 15th, 2010 19:00

Not in the US.  They are all locked to ATT even if you buy it at full price with no contract which sucks.  I checked the return policy and I have 21 days so I think I might send it back and reorder once the unlocked ones come out.

November 15th, 2010 20:00

Am I correct in assuming that our backups on the Dell PC Suite will no longer work once our phones are updated with 2.2?

2 Posts

Hi Amy,

In response to a comment you said "If memory serves, you purchased a Streak from Dell with no AT&T contract but it was still locked to the AT&T network. Then, later, you were able to get AT&T to provide you with an unlocked code. Yours is a special circumstance, so I'm not sure when your update will occur. I am guessing that since we sold it to you without an unlock code (tied to the AT&T network), it will be getting an update in December.  However, we are slowly working through different groups of users this week, so there is a small chance you could see the update sooner.", I also  bought the Streak witohut ocntract so do i have to get an unlock code to be considered for the group  that possibly gets the update sooner? Also i wanted to  if i can possibly exchange  my streak for a fully unlocked  version that  will be rolling out soon since i bought the current non contract streak it  believing that it would be unlocked  and free form At&t's evil influences?

119 Posts

If you bought it from Dell in the US then it is locked.  You can get unlock codes from AT&T but that will not put it then in the group of unlocked phones getting the update first.  Don't think there is a way to get it into that unlocked group for the update.

1 Message

I have a Streak received straight from Dell and used only via wifi (and never plan to use other than wifi). I don't even have the SIM card installed. So, is mine considered "unlocked" and should receive an update soon, or is it still locked because you can only use them with AT&T in the States? Is there a way I can get mine classified as unlocked?

Thanks,

Mike

No Events found!