Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2010 09:00

Dell Streak Froyo (2.2) Update Frequently Asked Questions

Hi Folks,
I created this FAQ to share updated information and answers to some of the more popular questions we've been getting. Feel free to post any additional questions and/or comments here regarding the Froyo update on the Dell Streak.

Thanks,
Amy

Q. What if I am not a current Streak owner, but I plan to buy from Best Buy or Dell directly in the U.S.? Will Froyo be pre-installed?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. For those AT&T customers who purchased a Streak from Best Buy prior to the Froyo update, here is a link to download the update if you don’t have it already: http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg
Also, Streak with Froyo pre-installed is currently available on www.dell.com in the U.S.

Q. When will the Open Source code for Streak Froyo be available?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Source code is now available at http://opensource.dell.com/releases/streak/ .

Q. What if I buy my Streak in Japan, Korea or Singapore? Will it have Froyo preinstalled?
A. Yes, Streaks purchased in Japan, Korea or Singapore will have Froyo preinstalled.

Q. What if I installed a non-Dell version of Android on my Streak? Will I still get the update?
A. No.  The update will only be deployed to Streak units which have Dell-provided versions of Android.

Q. Where is the link to the Dell Mobile Sync software?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. On the Dell Support Site, under Drivers and Downloads:

Q. What if I don’t want to use the Dell Stage Interface?
A. You can remove it by holding down your finger on the widget shortcut and choosing the delete option.

Q. Can I run the update, even if I don’t get the official notice, by copying the URL from someone else’s device?
A.  No, the final link to download the 2.2 Froyo update will be non-functional unless the browsing session is initiated via the software update mechanism on the Streak device. This is because the software update application in the device communicates with the OTA update server to authenticate the update session.   The link to the update is dynamically set to download the correct software package based on the device that is connecting to the update server. Please wait for the software update notice to display on the device itself, when your version of the software is ready for the upgrade.  You can continue to check for updates manually by going to Menu->Settings->About device->System Updates which will connect to the update server and correctly check for an update.

Q. Why is UK getting Froyo update before US?
A. Technically, that is not true. I'd like to clarify a rumor that got started Friday because of two tweets from UK customers. They had received an update message in error last Friday. I followed up with the team that deploys the updates and found out a small set of devices may have received a “Software Update is available” notice but when they selected it, they were directed to a webpage that indicated “No software updates available at this time.”  Shortly after I sent out the apology tweets to the two users, I got an update from the deployment team apologizing for the brief glitch. They also noted that the issue was fixed and no further devices would receive notices until the actual update was turned on. This OTA update is rolling out in phases to different groups of customers. Although I can’t share the exact scheduling, I can say that this week folks who were part of the US Beta testing group will be some of the first to receive the update. Then, folks in Europe with unlocked devices will start to receive the update.

Q. Why can't I have the EXACT date when my device will receive the Froyo update?
A. This has been a very controlled release and several factors affect the rollout. There are also many reasons for not sharing specific dates. For one thing, the rollout schedule changes periodically. This allows our deployment team to stop and fix issues they may discover. Other factors include logistics and coordination/approvals from third party providers. Appreciate your feedback and patience while we continue to roll the update out.

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, I received the OTA Froyo update, but I am getting the redirect error. When will Dell fix this?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Here is the latest Android 2.2 update for the unlocked phones that are currently on Dell version 3.09 or 3.15  that fixes the issue with browser redirect errors:

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, but have not received the update yet.
UPDATED 12-14-10
A.  Everyone (globally) who purchased an Unlocked version of the Streak should have received an update notice by now. If not, please manually check for your update by either 1. shutting down and rebooting or 2. going to Streak Settings – About Device and selecting System Updates.

November 18th, 2010 08:00

Just in time for Gingerbread! 

Smartphones are an entirely different game guys. Good luck.

November 18th, 2010 09:00

I got mine yesterday and it is a 1.6 device...

But it works nicely and will do until 2.2... besides all the apps i cannot install... 

17 Posts

November 18th, 2010 09:00

Hate to say it...well no I don't, but Lord is right on. DJ Steve's mod has been out and working for sometime now, and Dell cant get theirs to work? I purchased my via Dell US on the upgrade option with AT&T. For one AT&T doesn't list it. When I gave them the number it came up Dell Latitude...

I did not mod my Streak for the simple fact id have to remod it to get back to AT&T/Dell firmware to get any type of OTA update. Now with that said. I do like the Streak, but Dell...your support for tablets/cellular BLOWS. Even Streak Smart takes your device and helps you with it. I honestly regret that Dell came out with a mini tablet/smart phone. Had it been Samsung , HTC, Motorola,  hell even LG they would have been faster then this.

Why  the developers dont just use DJ steves Mod and make it their own is beyond me, and obviously Dell Developers. Amy, you try to help, but in the end, Dell is gimping YOU and making you look bad as well.

Preach on, Lord60!

3 Posts

November 18th, 2010 10:00

the worst part about it is....the consumers views fall on deaf ears...

forget getting the update on time..it would have been some consolidation if dell actually responded and told us exactly wats going on.....

sadly enuf...dell's just losing a lot of potential customers with their antics..

17 Posts

and still no word on Canada...........what's up Dell?

and still no word on Canada...........what's up Dell?

Uh dell has fail on promises to everyone else, if they were smart they would not give you a date. Then again...

17 Posts

sad but true

5 Posts

November 18th, 2010 13:00

Amy, is Dell now backing off of the December update as well? Some of the support pages have been update saying locked devices will eventually receive the update rather than sometime in December.

"Phase 2:  Eventually, users on devices locked to a specific carrier (i.e. you can only use your carrier’s SIM in the device) will start seeing updates as we work with our carrier partners for technical approval."

8 Posts

November 18th, 2010 14:00

To whoever is in charge of Android 2.2 upgrade in Dell 

It seems abundantly clear to me and other dell streak users that Dell is undergoing difficulty in rolling out its Froyo upgrade.  

Now that hundreds of thousands of your customers are helplessly waiting for the upgrade relying on Dell's misleading & deceptive announcement made on 15 November 2010, I strongly urge you to make an apology to your customers and advise us exactly when the upgrade will be available.

If you cannot give a fixed date, you would be well advised to give an estimated date for the upgrade.   

That appears to be the only prudent way to minimize Dell's continuing damage to its image & profit caused by this Android upgrade fiasco. 

Regards

Ryan 

17 Posts

To whoever is in charge of Android 2.2 upgrade in Dell 

It seems abundantly clear to me and other dell streak users that Dell is undergoing difficulty in rolling out its Froyo upgrade.  

Now that hundreds of thousands of your customers are helplessly waiting for the upgrade relying on Dell's misleading & deceptive announcement made on 15 November 2010, I strongly urge you to make an apology to your customers and advise us exactly when the upgrade will be available.

If you cannot give a fixed date, you would be well advised to give an estimated date for the upgrade.   

That appears to be the only prudent way to minimize Dell's continuing damage to its image & profit caused by this Android upgrade fiasco. 

Regards

Ryan 

+1.....................Amy, hit us with some info please.

Think they got ears? Forget about that. They have an unable android team, what can they do? I gave up and went back to my Iphone.

119 Posts

November 19th, 2010 05:00

Looks like US beta units might be getting the update now.  someone over at xda is updating theirs.  Still kinda odd how AMY-B has been MIA for the past couple days when she was so vocal before.

November 19th, 2010 06:00

14:00 GMT 19/11/2010 - still no UK update.

119 Posts

Amy,

Will Wifi connected devices get an OTA update or do they need to be connected to a carrier network to get the OTA notification?

Thanks,

John

Wifi connected devices should get it as well (remember unlocked US beta units are the only ones that are getting it right now it seems)  Just do the software update check and it will check with Dell's update server to see if the update is available for your unit.

19 Posts

Amy,

Will Wifi connected devices get an OTA update or do they need to be connected to a carrier network to get the OTA notification?

Thanks,

John

No Events found!