Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2010 09:00

Dell Streak Froyo (2.2) Update Frequently Asked Questions

Hi Folks,
I created this FAQ to share updated information and answers to some of the more popular questions we've been getting. Feel free to post any additional questions and/or comments here regarding the Froyo update on the Dell Streak.

Thanks,
Amy

Q. What if I am not a current Streak owner, but I plan to buy from Best Buy or Dell directly in the U.S.? Will Froyo be pre-installed?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. For those AT&T customers who purchased a Streak from Best Buy prior to the Froyo update, here is a link to download the update if you don’t have it already: http://mobileupdate.dell.com/PackageProductionLocations/Streak_340_14844_31.pkg
Also, Streak with Froyo pre-installed is currently available on www.dell.com in the U.S.

Q. When will the Open Source code for Streak Froyo be available?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Source code is now available at http://opensource.dell.com/releases/streak/ .

Q. What if I buy my Streak in Japan, Korea or Singapore? Will it have Froyo preinstalled?
A. Yes, Streaks purchased in Japan, Korea or Singapore will have Froyo preinstalled.

Q. What if I installed a non-Dell version of Android on my Streak? Will I still get the update?
A. No.  The update will only be deployed to Streak units which have Dell-provided versions of Android.

Q. Where is the link to the Dell Mobile Sync software?
UPDATED 4-8-11
A. On the Dell Support Site, under Drivers and Downloads:

Q. What if I don’t want to use the Dell Stage Interface?
A. You can remove it by holding down your finger on the widget shortcut and choosing the delete option.

Q. Can I run the update, even if I don’t get the official notice, by copying the URL from someone else’s device?
A.  No, the final link to download the 2.2 Froyo update will be non-functional unless the browsing session is initiated via the software update mechanism on the Streak device. This is because the software update application in the device communicates with the OTA update server to authenticate the update session.   The link to the update is dynamically set to download the correct software package based on the device that is connecting to the update server. Please wait for the software update notice to display on the device itself, when your version of the software is ready for the upgrade.  You can continue to check for updates manually by going to Menu->Settings->About device->System Updates which will connect to the update server and correctly check for an update.

Q. Why is UK getting Froyo update before US?
A. Technically, that is not true. I'd like to clarify a rumor that got started Friday because of two tweets from UK customers. They had received an update message in error last Friday. I followed up with the team that deploys the updates and found out a small set of devices may have received a “Software Update is available” notice but when they selected it, they were directed to a webpage that indicated “No software updates available at this time.”  Shortly after I sent out the apology tweets to the two users, I got an update from the deployment team apologizing for the brief glitch. They also noted that the issue was fixed and no further devices would receive notices until the actual update was turned on. This OTA update is rolling out in phases to different groups of customers. Although I can’t share the exact scheduling, I can say that this week folks who were part of the US Beta testing group will be some of the first to receive the update. Then, folks in Europe with unlocked devices will start to receive the update.

Q. Why can't I have the EXACT date when my device will receive the Froyo update?
A. This has been a very controlled release and several factors affect the rollout. There are also many reasons for not sharing specific dates. For one thing, the rollout schedule changes periodically. This allows our deployment team to stop and fix issues they may discover. Other factors include logistics and coordination/approvals from third party providers. Appreciate your feedback and patience while we continue to roll the update out.

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, I received the OTA Froyo update, but I am getting the redirect error. When will Dell fix this?
UPDATED 12-14-10
A. Here is the latest Android 2.2 update for the unlocked phones that are currently on Dell version 3.09 or 3.15  that fixes the issue with browser redirect errors:

Q. I bought my Streak Unlocked, but have not received the update yet.
UPDATED 12-14-10
A.  Everyone (globally) who purchased an Unlocked version of the Streak should have received an update notice by now. If not, please manually check for your update by either 1. shutting down and rebooting or 2. going to Streak Settings – About Device and selecting System Updates.

57 Posts

November 30th, 2010 12:00

http://m.abc.net.au does not work with Froyo 2.2

15 Posts

November 30th, 2010 14:00

Hi Amy,

It says "The application Browser (process com.android.browser) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again. Could you help me with it please?

Also, what exactly is the difference between the following 2 updates - GAUSB1A110100 & GAUSB1A111100? I had my OEM version as GAUSB1A111100 and I used the GAUSB1A110100 link to update my streak, would it cause any issue? Appreciate your response and time, thanks.

Ronak

November 30th, 2010 21:00

seems it is related to update you used, because few pages before some one did same thing and his browser also crashes on exit.

I was thinking that phone dialer should be updated, but for me it seem same, I still can not dial a contact just by typing his name on keyboard. Must switch to contact, search for name and pres phone icon. Or did I miss something?

Amy, please, post link to downgrade. I hate browser redirecting error, I hate new GUI, new flash is fine but seems I can live without it.

If I was not bold, I will tear hairs off my head that I did that upgrade :-(

Vladimir

November 30th, 2010 23:00

funny how i got my rogers streak in a future shop , when every rogers store i went to said that its not out , or they didn't know when it would be in store ,i have rooted my streak and am now running official 2.1 , and 2moro i will load up the 2.2 rom , no more waiting on dell for me :) , im luving my live wallpapers

take the 2.2 update into your own hands , Root your device and load up any rom you want , !!!!!!

20 Posts

December 1st, 2010 01:00

I at long last got the Update notification.Downloaded it last night and updated.Like the new interface,will have to get use to it,and prefer the keyboard.

Some problems though.

A lot of force closes on apps. 

Contact list missing,

And switching device on this morning,just keeps looping and will not get pass the Dell logo.

No phone connection or 3g (will probabaly have to enter in APN details manually)

WHAT DO I NEED TO DO (phone will not switch ON) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20 Posts

December 1st, 2010 02:00

Ok after a couple hours of tring to switch on the phone this morning,it refuses to do so.Keeps powering off and looping back to the Dell logo. Have tried doing a factory reset but it will not allow me to enter the menu.

This since the 2.2 update last night.:emotion-12:

Is anything going to go right with Dell.

15 Posts

December 1st, 2010 03:00

I completed the update last night (over 3G, which seemed to be fine). The file downloaded was called "Streak_315_12332_00.pkg" and it took about 20 minutes, all told, to complete the update. It now shows this:

Firmware: 2.2
Baseband version: GAUSB1A131500-EU
Kernel version: 2.6.32.9-perf
OEM version: GAUSB1A131500
Build number: 12332

It feels a little quicker, but still had a tendency to stutter, especially when swiping from one screen to the next. This could be because of applications that I have installed and that are running in the background. At the moment I'm not overly fond of the 'Stage UI'. The 'stages' just seem a little oversized and clunky. They appear far better, however, in portrait mode. I'm assuming this is a nod to Dell's other Android phones. Further, I haven't yet found a way to access applications whilst I'm already running one, without going back to the home screen. Could anybody enlighten me? I'm sure the more I use it the more I will like it, but only time will tell. I might well reset it back to factory defaults to see if the speed picks up (still 2.2, though).

To summarise:

The Good:

All the benefits of Froyo over Donut
HSDPA is now present and correct (it was missing from Dell bought 1.6 units)
Mmm, that's about it for now

The Bad:

I miss the old keyboard (the cursor keys more than anything, but the number pad was useful for entering in passwords)
I miss the old status bar (to turn on / off WiFi etc easily whilst still in an application)
I miss the old menu system (to launch an application whilst still in another)
I miss the old home screen menu, that showed recently used applications
I prefer the old Facebook widget
I much prefer the old icon spacings
I really dislike the way that neighbouring home screens encroach on the current one
I dislike the way the 'stages' of the new UI don't work very well in landscape layout

In fact, the whole home screen experience is that of a portrait phone, now, and not that of a more serious landscape tablet, which it was before. Well, sort of. I'm sure the changes are, in theory, for the home screen to work in portrait mode as well as landscape, but it actually feels as though landscape is an after thought, just like a normal smartphone (except the lock screen, oddly enough, which is locked in landscape). I'd much rather have it fixed back in landscape mode and have all the old UI features returned.

Choice is always a good thing (part of the reason my desktop OS of preference is Linux). I can only hope that the choice of the old UI is made available, but I seriously doubt that it will; Dell has has gone down the route of making the Streak a large screened phone, not a small screened tablet. That's a pity.

To summarise the summary:

Give me Froyo with the old UI and be a very happy Streak user.

6 Posts

December 1st, 2010 06:00

Hi again Amy,

after having searched for an alternative "launcher" or "homescreen starter" I fall back to my request for the "Dell Bender" homescreen app (so called at Dell support site). The opportunity to handle multiple wallpapers seems to be unique! Many GUI procedures appear more "verbosely, indirectly, playfully" than before - I tried to circumscribe my impression (Switch off / key. "Switch off?" / display. "Your telefon(!) will be switched off!" / display: OK that's what I originally intended...).

Is there any reason for not to let choose the user? Okay, many people may use smartphones for nothing else than social networking and may find the "stage" useful. I intended to use my Streak as a far better replacement for my former PDA (astronomy guide, navigation, photography organizer enroute, etc.).(And at the end it's a cellphone...). With "stage" my Streak moves off my intentions.

Secondly the new keyboard brings advantages over the old, but arrow keys and convenient number pad are lost. I would like to be able to choose either.

With Froyo the Wifi reception definitely got worse. Today I'm in a place where I saw 7 strong or weak wlan routers on Monday, today the 2 strongest are left, but indicated (by "Wifi Manager" and Wifi Analyzer") with "low level" -85dB. Impossible to connect safely with them. There's something wrong! (When I went around I found the others, so they are not switched off!). At home I have left a very unstable connection to my own router, so whether I have to left my workroom in the router's direction or have to buy a repeater!

I would be very glad to hear about a workaround in between Wifi. There may be huge advantages from Froyo which I may not have discovered yet as a "Streak  beginner", but the momentary losses frustrate more than expected.

Although this may be perceived as repeated "grumbling" - imagine it as a positive grumbling. If feel like praying for whiter snow...

Kind greetings, Ralf

3 Posts

December 1st, 2010 09:00

2 Question:

1: I updated my dell streak using a Dell Streak Update but using a method of downloading the file to computer then placing it and booting it....etc.... Will this update to 2.2, it still shows as a dell streak in the about phone page?

2. It was locked to O2 but I had it unlocked by them in the hope that i could recieve the Dell Streak 2.2 update, when my device is unlocked will it recieve the update notification automatically?

Thanks

James

1 Message

December 1st, 2010 11:00

I just bought an unlocked Streak from expansys.ca (in Canada of course). It works with my provider's SIM card (however this does not totally prove that it is unlocked since the provider is SpeakOut which runs on the Rogers network in Canada). The OS version is "2.1-update1", build 10350. I get told that no updates are available. It sounds like my device should fall in the category for which the updates should be available. Is there a way that I can find out whether  there is a problem with this specific device configuration, or whether I just have to wait?

2 Posts

December 1st, 2010 14:00

Was hoping my streak comes with 2.2.. just got it in the mail today, still at 1.6

14 Posts

December 1st, 2010 16:00

Hi Amy,

I have put up a couple of posts in the last day or two (called "Streak 2.2 Upgrade and Sync" and "Dell Support (or not)"). Having only just read my way through this long thread it seems a good place to put some summary feedback - and just maybe it might cool down some frustrated users.

First thing to say is that in the few months I have had the Streak I have become very dependent on it and like it very much. For the record it is an unlocked Streak purchased from the Dell website in the UK. Someone in a previous post mentioned not having a service tag for theirs - I didn't either but a simple phone call to the help desk and the agent updated the database while I was on the phone so problem instantly fixed. Waiting for the 2.2 upgrade to come through seemed the obvious thing to do. The notification came through a few days ago and it is now successfully updated. As far as I can see after just a day or two everything is working (3G, HSPDA, Wi-Fi, etc, etc).

This is not to say that there haven't been some problems. Most of the things I have read in the posts above seem to have happened, including software problems, error messages, losing connectivity, etc). So it may help to summarise how I have sorted them all out. (I should perhaps say that although I am not an Android person, I have had  a life long background in IT and I am used to taking a patient approach to fixing problems.) The keys to a successful implementation for me have been as follows:-

1. Ignore the Backup & Restore program. Do the 2.2 upgrade, do a factory reset to the 2.2 version and then build up your options as if it was a brand new machine. All the problems followed from using the Restore function under 2.2 with a backup file generated under 1.6. Although this is the recommended procedure, it seems as if not all the settings, when they are restored, are compatible with 2.2. I tried this several times, always with problems, and going back to the simple 'clean' approach has worked well.

2. Not upgrading Dell PC Suite for 2.2 was a mistake by Dell I am afraid. Dell Mobile Sync cannot sync anything from Outlook other than Contacts. And it has absolutely no documentation or help messages, so the way through has to be learned by trial and error. I don't suppose it is any complement to Dell but the way forward for me has been to download VCOrganizer Pro and its PC-based VCOrganizer SyncCenter. Once the contacts data had been cleaned out from the Streak, using VCO does the sync'ing cleanly (just as PC Suite used to under 1.6). And it even does it over W-Fi without tethering to USB. The only use I can see for Dell Mobile Sync is to make a backup of the Streak to the PC.

Amy, I hope this is useful feedback to you - and to other readers of this thread who are just starting on the upgrade path. You may not agree with my approach - but it has the virtue of working which has restored me to being a happy user of the Streak.

1 Message

December 1st, 2010 23:00

Hi Amy,

Recently i Upgraded my Streak to Froyo. It was nice though, but there was some problem occurs.

When i update, my 3G connection seemed turned off, and now after update finished, i can't turn it back on.

Could you help me about this?

Usually we only need to touch the battery area to manage wi-fi/3g connection, but now it's gone, i can't find it anywhere.

already searched setting, but there was only wi-fi connection inside.

PS: already tried to contact dell support, but seems your support center is not available for my country.

6 Posts

December 2nd, 2010 00:00

First I apologize for my bad english above and below - unfortunateley I can not edit my recent posts from here, sorry.

@nutstoo and Amy:

Thanks for Your kind help.

Just to explain: "My" update to 2.2 as shown above did last no more than 10 minutes - surprisingly after some other experiences in the thread. I never did a restore of my backup: I have no interest to use the Streak as a cellphone (besides internet roaming on travel and emergency), so I have no lists, contacts, etc. to restore. All apps I installed prior to the update have been kept (properly?) installed after the update - also surprisingly.

I never did a reset after having updated - think about, again I had to spend a lot of time for reinstalling aand reconfiguring my apps. Mhhh.

Maybe the change of "workflow" to a more cellphone oriented way (intended by Dell?) is originated from marketing calculations. For me it's more then one step back. I agreed with the update for the benefits to use another navigation app and for the possibility to use the Streak as a Wifi hotspot (so it can hopefully organiza data better and faster on my travel harddisks - has no OTG!). But the issue The issue with poor Wifi reception is a serious one.

And I would have liked to see the GUI before - You must know, I was so touched by the prior GUI, that it was one big punch for me to buy the device. Dell, I paid for another handling, if You know what I mean.

Kind greetings, Ralf

December 2nd, 2010 06:00

Hi AMY

I bought  a Dell Streak in UK SIM free with following details

BaseBand Version: GAUSB1A121100-EU

Kernal Version:  2.6.29-perf

OEM: GAUSB1A121100

Build No# 10350

Firmware : 2.1-update 1

when I am trying to update, I get message Update not available. I am in South Africa and I imported this unit. Please give me URL for manual update.

Thank you

No Events found!