Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2014 07:00

Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 charging problems

I bought a Dell Venue 11 Pro 5130 last April (or thereabouts) and I've loved my tablet ever since. However, in July I began having trouble charging the battery. This was also about the time I got a keyboard attachment for my Venue, the one with the second battery in it. Initially, both would charge without any issues, but after about a week of use the keyboard stopped charging and eventually my Venue would always (and currently is) put "Not Present" in the Battery #2 slot of my desktop battery life indicator.

Regardless of the issues with the keyboard (which I wouldn't mind some answers to as well), ever since I started having trouble with the keyboard battery, my tablet itself is taking forever to charge even when plugged in separately from my keyboard. It probably takes about a day and a half to two days to get a full charge into the battery. The life of the battery isn't bad once it is charged, but it's such a pain to get it charged back up I can barely use it when I'm at home because I need as much juice as I can get to make it through school the next day.

I ran a diagnostic on the Dell Support site for my battery and it says that the battery is fine. Fun fact though, I once ran it while the tablet was plugged into the keyboard accessory and the diagnostic ran on both batteries resulting in a clean bill of health for my tablet and an offer for a replacement battery on the keyboard because it was defective... I know the catch though is that the diagnostic wasn't aware that the second battery was a keyboard, but thought it was still the tablet which is under warrantee.

I don't know what to do. Someone help me!! Please! :(

5 Posts

December 12th, 2014 05:00

I have the same tablet, with mobile keyboard, similar problem. While plugged in, the tablet says (plugged in, charging) yet the percentage keeps dropping, instead of increasing. I'm using the Dell supplied charger, straight into the wall socket. Frustrating - wish someone would address this issue!

2 Posts

December 12th, 2014 08:00

For real! This post has been up for how many weeks now? And Dell still hasn't addressed it? I would expect better customer support from such a well recognized company. I am not pleased at all that I have these battery limitations on my tablet and keyboard that are not supposed to exist. Shouldn't I be able to plug in my tablet with the keyboard attached and use it without having to worry about the battery dying while it's plugged into the frickin wall??

Come on, Dell. Step it up and help us out. Sorry for being brash, but this kind of slow support is unacceptable. 

12 Posts

December 15th, 2014 21:00

I was am having the same problem with charging. A few things I did notice.

1- When the battery in the keyboard goes all the way dead plug the keyboard into the charger on it's own for about 10 minuets and the connect the tablet to it and continue charging. It should now show that it is charging both the tablet and the keyboard when you click on the battery symbol.

2- Now I am also having the slow charge and now even no charge sometimes. I noticed the charger is not staying connected at the micro usb connection. this is a problem with the socket on the motherboard. I did an online chat with support (best way to contact dell) and I am suppose to have an local service guy contact me tomorrow to make an appointment to get my motherboard changed. I always use the online chat, it seems to get more done that way. Hopefully after the motherboard change I will even have a service tag number that matches what I actually have. The number I have now shows a 7130 and I have a 5130 tablet.

2 Posts

April 4th, 2015 01:00

2 questions:

1. Did replacing the motherboard solve  the charging problem? I have the 7130, core i3 model and am experiencing ridiculously slow charging times over the last few days. As mentioned in previous comments, the battery lasts about as long as it usually does once it's fully charged, but it takes over 12 hours to get back to 100%.

2. If changing the motherboard worked for you then I'll give it a try. I was thinking I might even upgrade to a core i5, 8gb ram, too, since they're all connectled to the mobo anyway. Do you think that's possible/compatible?

12 Posts

April 4th, 2015 12:00

Well they originally sent the wrong MB. Sent me a new unit that had other problems. Now finaaly after three units exchanged I have a working Venue 11 Pro with the Atom Proc. 

As far as the charging, It is a problem they are having with the connector on the MB. If your unit is not charging try to wiggle the cord where it goes into the tablet. You will most likely need a new MB. Use that Chat feature on the Dell site, I have found that is the best way to work with them.

1 Message

May 21st, 2015 11:00

I have just discovered this on my Venue Pro as well.  It worked fine until i got the external keyboard with the battery.  I was in the middle of using them when they both shut down.  Now my tablet will not charge past a couple of percent (when it will charge at all) and even with a charged keyboard will fail almost instantly.  Very irritating.  i wiggle the chord and it will work for a moment, then quit and even after charging overnight only has enough power for a few minutes.  I'm glad to know that it is not the battery because i was going to order one, now i will not.  I may simply give up on the Dell and go with something else if it this much hassle to get it repaired.

12 Posts

May 21st, 2015 21:00

as I stated above, "As far as the charging, It is a problem they are having with the connector on the MB. If your unit is not charging try to wiggle the cord where it goes into the tablet. You will most likely need a new MB. Use that Chat feature on the Dell site, I have found that is the best way to work with them."

If your unit is still under warranty they will take care of it, if not then bug then and maybe they will get you a new motherboard. It is a known problem with the connecter being bad on the motherboard.

2 Posts

May 22nd, 2015 09:00

My DV11P (7130) also took a very long time to charge up completely (over 24 hours).  I plugged the included charger into my cell phone to charge one day and my cell reported that the charger was a low power one.  It dawned on me that it was the charger that was defective, not the battery or mobo.  I bought a new charger for $15 on Amazon and now I'm good to go.  If you've got a device like my cell phone that will tell you if the charger is putting out enough amps, plug it into the charger to diagnose whether your problem is the same as mine.  If so, it'll only cost you $15 to remedy.

1 Message

June 12th, 2015 14:00

I have the same issue with my Venue.  It took a tumble from the table to the floor and now will not charge properly.  I opened it up and found the charging dock connector solder joints broken.  It will, if charging only charge at a 3W rate not the full 24W rate.  3W rate is not enough to keep up with operation even while in the BIOS screen.  I have attempted to repair the traces with no luck so far.  In my tablet this charge port is a separate board from the motherboard.

This is a very poor design as with the rest of the Venue.  I have had multiple stability issues not related to windows prior to this problem.  Unfortunately mine is out of warranty as of March.

I have only found one place that will sell the part but they are out of stock. 

blog.parts-people.com/.../venue-11-pro-5130

In stock as off 6/12/15 and ordered one for myself

Also note there is likely a custom signal sent from the Dell power supply through this connector to enable the higher charging rate.  Other usb power will result in only a 3W charge(trickle charge)

12 Posts

June 12th, 2015 15:00

White111,

Try doing a "Chat" session with Dell on their website and see if they might send you a new board. They know this is a problem with these tablets. It's worth a shot. They just might help you out if you are nice and tell them that you know that they have been having a lot of problems with these.

Ron

September 21st, 2020 05:00

Solved with the replacement of charging pcb:
For those interested.. My 5130 was not charging, tested different chargers.. and always 3W charged detected, instead of 24W.

Solved with this item:
Charge Port PCB Board MLD-DB-USB for Dell VENUE 11 PRO T06G 5130

No Events found!