Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2016 11:00

Dell Venue 11 Pro 7140 Random Black Screen Issue

I've owned this 7140 Since October/November 2015.  I upgraded to Windows 10 before anything was on it, so never experienced any problems other than being within the Windows 10 operating system.

The problem is definitely random, and I haven't really been able to put my finger on exactly when to expect it.  What will happen is that upon waking the tablet with either the capacitive Windows button, the power button, or opening the tablet - when docked with the battery keyboard - and the system comes out of Sleep, the screen will be on but completely black.  Touch is still responsive, so is the track pad on the keyboard, where I can see the pointer.  Using the volume rocker also shows the onscreen graphic for volume.  There is just nothing else that shows up.  Undocking and re-docking don't do anything.  Using the power button to turn it off and on just turns the screen off and on, but nothing still shows up.

The only way to get this fixed is to long hold the power button to do a hard reset.  Whats even more interesting is that while holding the power button to accomplish this, after a few seconds the windows prompt comes up that says "Slide down to shut down your system" and I can see my log-in page background.

I thought this was a display issue or something.  I've updated all drivers and I am on the most current BIOS of A09.  Anyone have any ideas?  The only option given to me by Dell was to mail in the system to be under warranty.

Thanks!

1 Message

February 11th, 2017 10:00

Hi there,

I fixed that problem by disabling front and back camera in BIOS and by disabling smart Cortana lockscreen in Windows 10. Since then seems to be working fine.

February 1st, 2018 08:00

Sounds like the motherboard.  Mine has been changed 3 times so far.  It just came back January,28, 2018,  and now, it is doing the same thing.  Will have to send it out again to the Depot for repair.  Very disappointed in this tablet.  You think that after 3 repairs, they could get a motherboard in the machine that works correctly.   Glad I bought the extended warranty.  Good luck with your unit.

2 Posts

October 31st, 2018 12:00

Same issue with me. After uninstalling the Intel video driver with the delete option. I have no problems. I'm currently looking for the actual Intel driver from their website.

2 Posts

November 1st, 2018 02:00

After an exhaustive search for a solution to our issue I have located a driver that will sole our problem. Located here.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=3DTCD&fileId=3390560770&osCode=WB64A&productCode=dell-venue-11i-pro&languageCode=EN&categoryId=VI

Make certain you've updated EVERY firmware possible!

Located here.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln293406/recommended-updates-for-optimal-performance-of-your-venue-11-pro-7130-7139-tablet?lang=en

It's best to install a fresh Windows 10 without connecting to the internet, then installing this driver along with the Dell Venue Windows 10 driver pack. If you cannot install fresh, then you'll have to painstakingly press the power button to sneak into the system from sleep (over & over) to remove your driver with the deletion option.

Solved my problem %100. Good luck!

No Events found!