Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 9th, 2014 12:00

Dell Venue 11 Pro not Charging

I received a Dell Venue 11 Pro for Christmas and I am now having an issue with it charging. The micro USB port used for charging appears to be bad. If I play around with the charging cable, I can get it to show as charging (the LED turns white) but it only charges up 1% (if that) every hour so the connection is not 100%. I even bought a completely new AC adapter just to rule things out, but the new adapter makes no difference. When I start the tablet into diagnostic mode and get the charging cable seated just right so it charging, the AC power only shows at 3watt, when it should be a 24watt.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue and have you found a fix? Will Dell try to repair/replace the whole thing? Pretty upset that this pretty pricey tablet is less than a year old and has very little wear and tear and has suddenly stopped charging.

828 Posts

June 9th, 2014 23:00

I received a Dell Venue 11 Pro for Christmas and I am now having an issue with it charging. The micro USB port used for charging appears to be bad. If I play around with the charging cable, I can get it to show as charging (the LED turns white) but it only charges up 1% (if that) every hour so the connection is not 100%. I even bought a completely new AC adapter just to rule things out, but the new adapter makes no difference. When I start the tablet into diagnostic mode and get the charging cable seated just right so it charging, the AC power only shows at 3watt, when it should be a 24watt.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue and have you found a fix? Will Dell try to repair/replace the whole thing? Pretty upset that this pretty pricey tablet is less than a year old and has very little wear and tear and has suddenly stopped charging.

You either have a bad cable or a problem with the uUSB port.    If you have another cable, please see if you can duplicate.   If not the cable, contact support and ask them to replace the uUSB board.    That will resolve the issue for you.   This can happen if a large amount of pressure is accidentally applied to the uUSB cable while in the connector - that cable piece can act as a fulcrum or lever against the port.   If enough pressure is applied, something has to give.

3 Posts

June 10th, 2014 11:00

It must be the USB port then because as I mentioned, I bought an entirely new AC power adapter (w/ cable) and the I still have issues. I also tried using different USB cables I had laying around before I tried the new adapter and those didn't help either. I've been very gentle with this tablet so not sure how the port could have gotten damaged. 

July 29th, 2014 21:00

wow with so many failures of the power supply you would think a redesign would be in order and maybe some sort of stain relief on the port ya think. Dell could care less and yes they will toss it in a pile and send you refurb back nice ha oh yes say good buy to your data. I have been through 2 power supplies and now the hole tablet has to go I do believe this will not be the last time either. I suggest marking your tablet someplace special I guarantee you will not get your tablet back but another machine that someone else owned that's why when you get them back its been wiped clean its not your machine but someone else's. Companies like Dell don't spend 2 seconds fixing they just toss in pile strip components out to reassemble other pieces to some other deserving customer (THANK YOU COME AGAIN).

July 29th, 2014 21:00

oh ya I am on my second power supply now the thing has to go back to dell and yes you will loose all data aside from having 2 usb ports the ipad is much more stable with far less problems way better battery power.I would never again buy dell tablet thought having windows would be great on a tablet wwwrrrrrrooonnnnnnggggggggggg!!!!!!!!! windows 8 is to hot for the tablets they should come out wit an os for the tablet..

1 Message

September 3rd, 2014 10:00

I am having the same problem.  I called Dell and sent the tablet to a Houston facility for repairs.  I received it back and it still doesn't work. 

4 Posts

September 3rd, 2014 15:00

I wish they would do that, maybe then the two different ones I sent in would have come back fixed.   On the second one I sent in, I marked the motherboard (as changing that was the fix for my issue), and it came back with the same motherboard even though they stated they changed it.  Now, mind you, they may have changed a detachable component of the motherboard, but not the part I marked. No sir, at least in my case, they send you back the same tablet. Otherwise the internal Service tag would not match what the case says, and which is the product that you own.

3 Posts

October 7th, 2014 16:00

Finally got it sent to depot for repair. Got it back today and charging still isnt working. Repair sheet shows only the OS was reinstalled. For the love, please just change out the motherboard! Not looking forward to another hour long tech support call. So frustrating being in the IT business and having to deal with tier I support.

9 Posts

October 21st, 2014 09:00

I sent my tablet back for this problem.  The micro-USB charging port got more and more intermittent, then failed altogether.  They changed out the motherboard.  Wiped the hard drive.  But I'm still having problems.  I'm using the original AC adapter, but with all the USB=>micro-USB cables floating about my house, I'm not sure I have the original cable.  Is it true that if you use the wrong charging cable (not the AC adapter unit -- the cable), it damages the micro-USB port?  Isn't "universal" part of "USB"?  How can I identify the specific cable that goes with the Venue Pro 11 AC adapter?

October 5th, 2020 02:00

I faced the same problem 

And I found that this problem appears in few years of using device because of cheap material applied to create charging logic board

The reason I found that charging connector itself get rusty and it blocks electricity signal from AC charger.

Now it is explanation how I solved my problem step by step...

What I did is disassembled my device removed charging board

I solved my problem by cleaning connector and charging logic board with 97% of alcohol by using a toothbrush.

Also I found that screws which hold charging board was little bit unscrewed and it wasn't hold charging board well

So you need to screw them back because it leads to moving of charging board wires in connectors to motherboard while you plug and unplug AC adapter.

Now it works just fine without any issues.

If your device is out of warranty you can do this by yourself you just need a small Phillips screwdriver.

October 5th, 2020 02:00

If my message above helped you please let me to know

No Events found!