Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 3rd, 2014 04:00

Dell Venue 11 pro onscreen keyboard bitlocker

Hi,

I have a dell venue pro 11 with bitlocker with a PIN code. I cant get in to my system without a fysical keyboard.

Is this feature going to be supported soon?? I want the onscreen keyboard as with the dell latitude 10:

http://cameronmergel.wordpress.com/2013/07/16/new-dell-latitude-10-on-screen-keyboard-for-bitlocker-pin/

17 Posts

January 4th, 2014 07:00

I don't have a problem accessing my onscreen keyboard.  When you are in the desktop mode, do you have a small keyboard icon on the lower right task bar?  If you do, that should allow you to access the onscreen keyboard, and select any of three keyboard styles.  I used to have Latitude 10 and it worked the same way my Venue 11 does.  I can't imagine where the PIN requirement came from.  Have you tried going into the user account settings (I presume you are the "system administrator) and removing all of the password requirements to see if that might help?

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

January 4th, 2014 08:00

I have dell venue 11 pro with A05 bios and this version doesn't show me this on screen keyboard . When I enabled bit locker with pin I couldn't find this online screen and I had to hard reset .

Do u have dell venue 11 with bit locker pin enabled and working fine ?

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

January 4th, 2014 08:00

The bit locker pin loads before the windows starts , something like bios mood .... the normal on screen keyboard works fine from inside the windows , but my question here is regarding the on screen keyboard at the bit locker pin at the pre windows loading state

January 4th, 2014 10:00

exactly, the onscreen keyboard works fine in windows 8. However the bitlocker bootscreen starts before windows starts, so I would like the option to get an onscreen keyboard like with the latitude 10. THis would help because now you need an external keyboard or the mobile keyboard. SO you cannot use bitlocker properly. I want to enter my pin without the need of a fysical keyboard

1 Rookie

• 

10 Posts

January 4th, 2014 11:00

I have the same problem and it won't get fixed until dell release updated bios firmware after A05 that would support the on screen keyboard for bit locker pin just like your dell 10.

I am so frustrated that this device was not properly tested , anyone from dell to answer us if this issue is noted and a fix is planned for it ?

3 Posts

January 27th, 2014 12:00

Same problem with the bitlocker screen here as well.  The problem happens in two situations:   When docked in USB keyboards are not recognized at the level where the bitlocker screen is.  Using the tablet keyboardless there is no on-screen keyboard to enter the bitlocker PIN.

The only way to enter the bitlocker screen is to use the folio magnetic keyboard that came with the unit.

I just applied a newly release BIOS A06 but still has not address the issue.

So Minanagy, I share your frustration.  We spoke today personally face to face with our Dell rep and it was news to him this issue.  He will get back to us hopefully within February.

I have a Latitude 10 ST2 and only had the second situation described above but was resolved with a BIOS release A06.  Now I have an on screen keyboard and I am able to use it to enter the bitlocker PIN.  But this is a slow Atom 32 bit only tablet that runs sluggish. 

3 Posts

February 6th, 2014 13:00

Looks like now there is a newer BIOS that addresses this issue (A09).  This update was posted for the Venue 11 (7130, 7139) last Monday 2/3/2014!

Fixes & Enhancements

1. Adjust softkeyboard functionality after active BitLocker function.
2. Adjust Legacy PXE Boot functionality under GSet.

Too bad I could not try this update on the loaner unit that we had from Dell.  Our Dell rep sent us some instructions (Article  606249)  on how to Bitlock this unit to get the keyboard function to work but it bricked the unit as step 2 was to clear TPM.
I wish I was alerted to this article (635018) and pointed to the new A09 BIOS  instead.
Let us know if anyone is successful with this new BIOS update...
No Events found!