Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 7th, 2015 22:00

Dell Venue 8 7840 Freezing

Hey guys,

Not sure if there's a fix but I hope there is. After upgrading to Lollipop which smoothed out a lot of the kinks in the system, I've had an issue with the tablet completely freezing when reading Ebooks. I've tried using multiple apps with the same result.

The tablet just freezes up, unresponsive to any touch input and eventually after a minute or two, unfreezes and seemingly works okay. When it freezes up, the only thing that changes the situation is hard turn-off by holding the power button. So far this has been my only issue with the tablet but it's a bit of dealbreaker since reading on it is a pretty big use I've had for it.

-Thanks in advance

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 8th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

Thank you for us!

This could be a hardware issue .

Kindly Private message the service tag to the system we would need to check the warranty status .

Thanks

Robin

2 Posts

October 8th, 2015 16:00

I am having the same problem. Very slow and constantly disconnect to WiFi.

14 Posts

October 9th, 2015 04:00

For now, try these steps. 

First, booted to fastboot

Trigger the tethered recovery (T4)
Once in the recovery, I then formatted /system using the graphical menu. (Probably not necessary since we're DDing the img directly?)
I had a microsd card in the device which was EXT4 formatted, so I pushed the system.img to that after mounting it by hand. 

Code:
 mount -t ext4 /external_sd /dev/block/mmcblk1p1

Then from the PC side

Code:
adb push system /external_sd/system.img

You could probably push to the data partition if you can get it mounted in the event you don't have a microsd. 
Once you have the system.img on the device, you can dd it onto the system partition
Make sure /system is unmounted

Code:
umount /system
dd if=/external_sd/system.img of=/dev/block/by-name/system

NOTE: /dev/block/by-name/system may be wrong, I'm going from memory. I'll correct it when I get in from work.
After flashing system, reboot to fastboot again

Code:
adb reboot fastboot

And finally flash the boot.img from the OTA zip I uploaded

Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

Perform a normal boot, and it should be working. First boot takes a while, 3-4 minutes.

You'll have to go back a bit in the thread there to find links to the system.img
I'm working on a better un-brick solution but for now that's the best we've got.

2 Posts

October 18th, 2015 08:00

I'm having this problem as well. I bought this tablet for the express purpose of reading books using Google Play Books and it is unusable as it freezes constantly. I can either wait a minute for it to unfreeze or I can force a reboot.

I don't think this is hardware issue unless all the hardware is bad since so many people seem to be having this issue.

What are my options here? Can Dell fix this or at least refund my money? You sold me a broken product, it is time to own up.

2 Posts

October 18th, 2015 09:00

I found a solution! Remove your SD card.

I don't know yet if it is only certain SD cards or what but removing mine fixed the problem. I am going to experiment with types of formatting and brands until I find one that works....hopefully.

1 Message

November 29th, 2015 17:00

Unfortunately I am having the same freezing problem and i don't even use an SD card. Has anyone had any luck with anything else?

I have tried many different programs and it will freeze in all of them randomly. Otherwise this is a really great tablet. But its pointless to me if it keeps freezing.

No Events found!