Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

March 16th, 2018 16:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 Windows 10 1709 update experience

From a few posts in the community, I see some users have been able to update their Venue 8 Pro 5830 with the Fall Creators Windows 10 1709 update.  I am wondering what experience users have had with the update.  Specifically, any advice fellow users may have, difficulties encountered, solutions.  I hope to try the update myself and will return with news.

4 Posts

March 18th, 2018 11:00

I was able to update the DV8P 5830 from Windows 10 to Windows Fall Creator version 1709.

Here are some points gathered during the experience:

* Before doing anything else, I went to the Dell support site and updated the driver for the chipset and the BIOS.

* Prior to attempting the update, I tried to save an image of c:\ using the built in software in Windows but was unable to do so, even after multiple attempts.  With the 32Gb version, I was also unable to load a third party backup app due to low disk space.  I recommend copying personal files to SD or USB and also making a recovery disk (not an image of the computer).

* I then tried several times to download and install the update, and failed each time.  The process went on for some hours and I was concerned that the battery might deplete while I had a USB drive plugged in for the update.  I had read that it might be okay to remove the USB after the first reboot during the update process.  After I tried that, the update also failed.

* After trying the update a few times, I found two things that may have been helpful.  One was a set of instructions at https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/windows-update-error-0x80248007-in-windows-10/

This website explained how to stop the windows update service and delete files from c:\windows\software distribution\datastore folder and c:\windows\software distribution\download folder, then restart the windows update service.

The other thing I tried was the windows update troubleshooter.  I ended up running the troubleshooter several times until it seemed to have made all the necessary adjustments.

* I used a 16Gb USB drive.  Even with that, I had to delete almost everything from c:\ that I could.  I even deleted the free edition of Office 2013 that came loaded on the device.

During the final attempt (successful), the download process took about an hour and the installation process took about another 90min or so.  Starting with a fully charged tablet, I ended up with 50% charge left after the full process.

* After the update completed, I was pleased to see that there were no problems.  I had read of driver issues with the display and the Atheros bluetooth/WIFI radio driver.  All came through intact, and there was no need to setup anything or make any changes.

* Final thoughts -- I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to image the device, was unable to do so, and in the end decided this was not necessary.  I think if a person carefully goes through the process I describe above, they will be able to install the update.  I imagine installing the update will significantly prolong the useful life of the device, in terms of security updates, etc.  Good luck, and I would be interested to see others post their experiences with this update installation.

5 Posts

April 1st, 2018 14:00

I updated to the first version of Windows10 from Windows 8.1. Every few months after a major Windows update the display will be super bright and hot and the ability to adjust brightness is gone, till I roll back the video driver. After the update to the 1703 build rolling back the driver no longer fixed problem with adjusting brightness. I tried a Windows reset which reinstalled windows keeping existing files, but it did not fix it. I updated the video and chipset driver from support.dell.com which set the brightness in the middle and fixed hot screen but I still can't adjust brightness and it is to bright in a dark room. Any help would be appreciated.

17 Posts

June 9th, 2018 20:00

I have not tried you suggestions since I just ran across them today. I had pretty much resigned myself to seeing nags from Microsoft every time I turned on my tablet reminding me that my version of Windows will no longer be supported with updates and security fixes. In any case, this has been my frustrating experience thus far.

My tablet is Dell Venue Pro 8 5830 running Windows 10 - 1607. Version: 0.0.14393, build 14393. The tablet has no trouble running Windows 10.

It has a 24 GB hard drive with 3.4 GB free after running disk cleanup and deleting apps. I have no more apps to delete. As you know, it has a micro-USB port that is used for charging the battery and data transfer. It has no dedicated power port. Dumb design.

I have tried to update to Windows 1709 using two 32 GB flash drives and a USB hub as suggested by the Microsoft Community. After many attempts, the update hasn’t been successful and/or the battery depletes before the update can be completed. The best it has done is 51%. I have experimented by using the 32 GB micro-SD card for temporary storage, but that didn’t work either.

I may give your suggestions a try if I have a free day or two, and post my experience. thanks for the good luck wishes.

17 Posts

June 11th, 2018 17:00

I have tried everything you have suggested - more than once. Windows updater only gives me the choice of updating to version 1803, but not 1709. For each try, it wants me to clean up drive (there is pretty much nothing left to delete), and it doesn't give me the option of using a USB device at that point. That's where I get stuck. No matter how many times I run the update troubleshooter, it finds and fixes the same problems. Any ideas?

14 Posts

July 31st, 2018 23:00

I'm using a 64GB and had a more smoother and streamlined experience with the upgrade. My experience upgrading a 32GB is more problematic and had always been a failure.

1 Message

August 4th, 2018 21:00

I did not encountered any issues. Never factory reset once. As of today, my V8P is running 1803 build. I uninstall all the Dell bloatware. But i keep office, Qualcomm WiFi driver, Intel graphic driver and Intel trusted execution engine.

14 Posts

August 8th, 2018 17:00

@xidaidai Have you ever tried Miracast on build 1803?

No Events found!