Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 1st, 2013 13:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro Battery drain and failure to wake from sleep

So I've been experiencing this for the past week.  I have run all updates and still having issues.  The battery issues are similar to what have already been reported with overnight drain, but I have also been experiencing something else.  The tablet will not wake by either pushing the windows button on top or power button.  I have to press and hold the power button and force it to shut down then restart? I have tried calling tech support and yesterday after 1.5 hrs on phone, they managed to disable my auto-rotate...as in remove it form the system as an option.  Go figure...If I don't get this resolved in the next week its going back and I'm switching back to the ipad mini, at least until MS and Dell get this  Substitute character removed as per TOU> worked out!! Ridiculous!!! 

1 Message

December 23rd, 2013 13:00

I have been experiencing the same issue!

25 Posts

December 30th, 2013 21:00

Update your BIOS to A04. This is supposed to resolve the "device shuts off when woken up from standby at lower battery levels."

Nothing so far has resolved the excessive battery drain on standby, however.

1 Message

January 7th, 2014 14:00

I am experiencing both issues as well, the battery drain however is the most annoying. Funnily enough this did go away until i applied the A02 stylus update the other day and now its back.... really annoying. i actually do love this device but waking it up and finding you have lost a <ADMIN NOTE: Substitute character removed as per TOU> load of power is really annoying... Dell please do something you 'almost' have the perfect device here.

29 Posts

January 7th, 2014 18:00

Update your BIOS to A04. This is supposed to resolve the "device shuts off when woken up from standby at lower battery levels."

Nothing so far has resolved the excessive battery drain on standby, however.

From some basic profiling I did, it looks like maintenance jobs overnight are what are causing the excessive battery drain I'm seeing.  If they'd just stuck with Windows RT, we wouldn't be seeing these issues, but noooooo....

4 Posts

January 8th, 2014 07:00

Well here's my update...I ended up returning the 32gb model I had.  I have to admit that I was a bit harsh on tech support as they did try, but ultimately could not solve the issue with that tablet.  They were polite and even called me to check on status.  I have since returned that tablet and purchased a 64gb V8P which so far (fingers crossed) has not had ANY of the issues we have been reporting.  This is what noticed between the two in terms of updates:

• My 64gb unit came with Bios A01 installed where as the 32gb unit came with A02 installed. 
  • Going off of user feedback on a tablet review website I saw, I skipped the "connect to wifi" step and ensured the tablet was set to only notify me of updates and I would install manually.  Once I selected that option and finished setting up the tablet, I installed ALL of the dell driver updates then installed Windows update.  Note: DO NOT INSTALL these Windows updates: KB2883200 or KB2887595(if shown).

That's it...I've had my 64gb unit for two weeks with no sleep/wake issues or severe battery drain.  On average I lose about 6-8% overnight because of the scheduled maintenance.  Otherwise, I recharge my tablet on average every 1.5 days.  Now this is how a Windows tablet should work!  If I had one suggestion to make to dell, it would be to ask MS to remove the known bad updates that have been causing these issues (mentioned above).  Not that manually updating my tablet is an issue, but I should be able to allow my tablet to auto update as needed.

2 Posts

January 12th, 2014 10:00

Amfranco, don't get excited yet.  I have a 64 gb that I bought right before Christmas.  Worked fine for little over a week, then nothing but issues.  Not only is the battery a hot mess, but my tablet rarely connects to my home Wi-Fi.  I have to continually disconnect and re-connect while sitting in my own home, while my husband sits joyfully watching movies on his Kindle.  I've had Tech Support on the phone on two occasions and did battery updates, etc, to no avail.  When running diagnostics, I have two errors:  battery not installed and APs not working ? (something to do with communication with Wi-Fi, which explains the no or limited internet problems.)  I am now returning my tablet to probably have motherboard replaced, which is not my definition of customer service at all.  This is obviously a defective tablet which will probably never work correctly.  I have been a Dell customer for 15 years, and this is the most frustrated I have been over a Dell product. 

In the past, I had an issue with a Dell PC we purchased, and less two weeks after purchasing it Dell told us to return it and they replaced it.  What happened to that level of customer service? 

29 Posts

January 12th, 2014 11:00

For what it's worth I'm two for two.  I'm seeing the expected battery life (they don't drain in a couple of hours, but they will die after two days in standby - an annoying part of x86 architecture) and wifi works as expected.

So not everyone is seeing results as horrible as the other guy. That said, there is still a LOT of room for improvement.

2 Posts

That's a pretty sad comment on the quality of product.  The fact that you returned three before finally getting two that worked right tells me this is a *** shoot as to whether or not the tablets will even work.  I am more than a casual user of technology:  I use it everyday in my work and troubleshoot for most of the staff who work for me.  Using the tablet doesn't take a rocket scientist, but constantly having to diagnose issues with it while all the other tablets (androids and iOS) I've used have no issues is very frustrating.

Thanks for the encouraging words, but it doesn't change my mind about this tablet.  Dell just needs to fix (or better yet, replace) it and make sure nothing else goes wrong with a tablet less than 30 days old.

27 Posts

I now have two dv8p tablets that both work well. But that's after bricking and returnning three others to Costco. These tablets are fragile software wise and vulnerable to set up due to the WiFi, touch, driver, and Windows issues.  Some users will be lucky while others stymied.  too complex for casual users not accustomed to dealing with bleeding edge technology.  That's why I bought them at Costco on sale and with a generous 90 day no questions asked return policy.   I'm definitely keeping one of these beautiful but temper mental mini pc's.    

29 Posts

January 12th, 2014 12:00

Maybe because I want it on in a tenth of a second, not ten seconds?  Not having instant on is a dealbreaker on x86 tablets and was my biggest concern.

2 Intern

• 

480 Posts

January 12th, 2014 12:00

I don't understand why you'd put it in sleep mode at all, let alone overnight.  It takes like 10 seconds to boot up from a shutdown.

2 Intern

• 

480 Posts

January 12th, 2014 17:00

:emotion-2:  You young whipper-snappers are amazing.  Why back in my day, when I started out as a computer programmer in the early 70's, it could sometimes take a week before I'd get a computer run back. :emotion-5:  LOL

18 Posts

January 12th, 2014 19:00

The fact that I can't set the boot address via switches on the front panel is very hard to accept:emotion-2:

I will say that this should work correctly out of the box and SW should just work without any hassle.

FWIW, if your battery drains after 2 days in standby, your connected standby is drawing too much power. At 1%/hr drain, you should get 4 days of CS before it won't startup. IMO, a 24hr CS state should got to full shutdown since the device doesn't support true hibernation.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2014 12:00

I have the similar issue. I'm unable to wake up the device If it is the sleep mode longer than ~10 sec. I have the latest drivers, BIOS and Windows Updates.

I did some tests and I found that after disabling WiFi adapter driver in the Device Manager wake up started to work well with no issues.

It looks like a WiFi hardware or a driver bug in the Connected Standby implementation.

Connected Standby is a new feature in Windows which helps to resume from sleep in less than 0.5 sec.

The performance of a resume from connected standby is almost always faster than a resume from the traditional Sleep state and significantly faster than a resume from Hibernate or Shutdown .

More about Connected Standby:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn481216(v=vs.85).aspx

Best Regards

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 2nd, 2014 12:00

I have the similar issue. I'm unable to wake up the device If it is the sleep mode longer than ~10 sec. I have the latest drivers, BIOS and Windows Updates.

I did some tests and I found that after disabling WiFi adapter driver in the Device Manager wake up started to work well with no issues.

It looks like a WiFi hardware or a driver bug in the Connected Standby implementation.

Connected Standby is a new feature in Windows which helps to resume from sleep in less than 0.5 sec.

The performance of a resume from connected standby is almost always faster than a resume from the traditional Sleep state and significantly faster than a resume from Hibernate or Shutdown .

More about Connected Standby:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn481216(v=vs.85).aspx

Best Regards

Dominik

No Events found!