Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 22nd, 2013 15:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro Camera Resolution changes during video chat

During skype call for example ... I initiate the call and see my video preview as in the left illustration, but when remote party answers my call my video changes like the one in the right illustration and thats what the remote party see. So I need to put device away from myself for them to see me ! Is there a reason for this ? Or any workaround, solution ? Or a driver issue _ You can experience the same thing with Skype Store App. There are other Windows Tablets I use and none of them does this. Thank you.

40 Posts

March 14th, 2015 08:00

For Hangouts, change the resolution from HD to SD in order to resolve this issue.

For Skype Desktop there does not appear to be an option to configure the webcam.

For the Skype Modern App (Metro) the web cam appears to default to the correct settings.

From what I remember, the drivers work differently for native/legacy apps vs modern/metro apps.  Until an updated driver is released, or there is an alternate (another tablet with the same hardware) this is what it is.

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2013 08:00

Same problem here. I bought a cheap fish eye lens off of ebay and it makes it seem normal again. I shouldn't have to do that though!
Dell, this isn't right! 

3 Posts

December 7th, 2013 14:00

Even after 15 days, dell has not replied. I also have same problem in dell venue 8 pro. But I don't have this problem in my laptop with windows 8.1

4 Posts

December 7th, 2013 15:00

I opened a case to Dell for this. Product Group involved, but they said this is not an issue with Venue 8 Pro  They asked me if I tried another chat program. Skype is the number one chat program for Windows and front cam is only for chatting. Who would use it for taking photos ?

1 Message

December 7th, 2013 21:00

I opened a case to Dell for this. Product Group involved, but they said this is not an issue with Venue 8 Pro   

I think they are wrong. The exact same thing happens in Google Hangouts on the Venue 8 Pro.

Crossing my fingers that they find a simple fix because right now, I have hold it very far away to make Hangouts usable.

4 Posts

December 8th, 2013 00:00

The links I shared:

“I am baffled by the mega close up zoom when using skype or hangouts. Is there anyway i can pull it back a bit?. I have looked in skype video settings as you would expect, and its already set to 0, the only option is actually increasing the zoom level to uncivilised proportions. Is there a windows 8.1 setting for changing this? Ive looked and cant seem to find one. Alternatively another solution is welcome.”

“I do have one question about the front facing camera though. When using skype or google hangout vid chat, is there a way to zoom out the camera as its pretty darn closeup? Serious nosehair detail :G:... Ive looked but cant seem to find camera zoom settings anywhere. “

4 Posts

December 8th, 2013 00:00

I shared some other links with simmilar problems, Dell Support re-raised the issue to PG Team. Let see what happens.

1 Message

December 17th, 2013 02:00

same problem here, the camera is basically useless. i have the same issue in both skype and in lync. come on dell pull your finger out, two of the most useful features, pen and front facing camera are non functional.

2 Intern

• 

480 Posts

December 26th, 2013 13:00

I just tried Skype too.   The image is way too close up :emotion-6:

AND THE KEYBOARD IS TO SENSITIVE!

2 Intern

• 

480 Posts

December 28th, 2013 12:00

I just took another look at this by calling myself on anther computer using a different Skype account.

In Skype, the Mega huge image only occurs when using Skype in Desktop mode, the image is normal when using Metro Skype.

I haven't been able to try Google Hangouts, but my guess is that it's the same issue. Unfortunately,  Google Hangouts only works in Desktop mode.

January 19th, 2014 16:00

Actually, there are moments in the middle of video chatting on the Metro App where the camera resolution will change and poof up. this also happens when trying to leave a video message on the Skype App as well. Now that im using these apps more than before, and the desktop Google Hangouts, I would very much like to know if there's a fix for this problem. Hopefully since this thread has been going on for a while now, we'll get a response soon.

January 20th, 2014 14:00

Bump.

3 Posts

February 25th, 2014 15:00

Bump....

1 Message

March 27th, 2014 09:00

I am having the same issue. Front camera zoom is fine when used in apps other than google hangouts. Any fixes yet?

1 Message

June 18th, 2014 09:00

I too having same issue and This issue is specific to this model only. 1 am using Dell Laptop too which works fine with Skype. They should fix this issue. This defeat my main purpose.
No Events found!