Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 25th, 2013 06:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro: I got a lemon

I purchased a Venue 8 back in Nov. as a Christmas present. We opened it this morning and it's already pretty much bricked. Rather than taking me through a Windows Setup when I first powered it on, it immediately defaults me to a windows lock screen that has "Other user" listed as the account name and asks for a user/pass. Obviously I didn't set it up with no windows setup prompts available to me so I'm locked out. Not only am I locked but the onscreen keyboard won't even work. Thankfully I have an adapter that allowed me to plugin a keyboard/mouse through the Micro USB charging port so I could even try to troubleshoot. I called tech support to assist because I was flustered. They guided me into a  pre start up screen that allowed me to reset the device to its factory default. We tried and I was prompted to insert the windows disk or recovery media. Obviously an 8 inch tablet only has pre-installed windows recovery not a disk to install windows from. So we can't do that either. After an hour of very friendly tech support from some great guys working on Christmas they have now told me that I will receive a call back on Friday to replace my device, which will take another 7-10 business days.

Thanks for ruining my wifes Christmas, Dell.

Oh and not to mention I already slapped a screen protector on it, so it's wasted now too. Woohoo!

I should have just put out the money for something else. >=[

9 Posts

December 25th, 2013 08:00

SmokedMike if you want to try this it will get you back to a reset computer. I just went through this with my Venue 8 Pro. My touch screen got screwed up.

This what to do. Boot up. Then hold the power key the screen will come up half way say to slide down to shutdown. Don't do that just hold the power button until the screen goes black. Then wait a few seconds and the power up again. When it boots again hit and  hold the power button again and don't slide the screen down. The screen will go black. Again wait a few seconds then hit power button again. This time when the dell screen comes on you should see please wait. Then a blue screen will come up with Recovery at top go the troubleshoot then Reset and you it will reload the windows 8 and it should be all right. Let me know how you made out.

2 Posts

December 25th, 2013 09:00

Yeah we tried that but when I try to do the reset it ask me to insert a windows disk or recovery media. Nothing came with it to use only the internal backup which it's not finding when I do reset. :/

14 Posts

January 17th, 2014 12:00

Thanks for these tips.  I screwed up calibrating the screen on a Venue 8 Pro and your steps allowed me to get to the factory reset.  Except for all the now wasted hours setting up the new Venue, at least I'm back with a usable device.

1 Message

September 7th, 2014 16:00

I had a similar issue where my touch screen was not working and I could not log in. I had to shut it down using this method three times before the blue screen came up. I was able to reset and use my tablet. Thank you for the help.

No Events found!