Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2013 11:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro Touch Sensitivity

Hello,

I bought two Dell Venue 8 Pro two weeks ago. I notice that sometimes when I type on the screen, the touch input get triggered multiple times... After doing some more testing, I realized that the issue was because my finger was close to the screen, but not fully touch or rest on the screen. The device seems to pick up touch input even if a small tip of my finger touch the screen a few milliseconds, which is a bit annoying when typing or browsing. This ends up with characters get hit multiple times randomly, or the browser suddenly zooms out because the device though it was double-click. I never have any issue like this on my smartphones or the surface RT.

I believe this is a firmware issue or a touch sensitivity issue since it happens on both of my devices. I did multiple factory reset and change "Pen and Touch" setting in control panel. But the issue is still exist. Does this happen to anyone else?

Minh

52 Posts

November 22nd, 2013 17:00

Yes, I'm experiencing the very same problem. I already managed to get locked out from some online accounts because of that.

I also fiddled with pen and Touch Settings in Control Panel, but whatever I set there, does not improve things.

2 Posts

November 25th, 2013 16:00

It happens to me constantly and is VERY annoying while browsing and having the system think I double tapped something.  We REALLY need a fix for this as well as the Miracast incompatibilities.  An adapter to charge and use USB peripherals would also be nice.

1 Message

November 26th, 2013 08:00

Yep im actually typing onn it now. I hope thhis is just a software probblem and not a hardware problem.. Otherwise. The tablet has been quite impressive.

2 Posts

November 26th, 2013 10:00

If you haven't done so already, update the Synaptics firmware.  Although it's intention is to improve stylus performance, it actually fixed the hypersensitive touch screen I had.  FYI, I never actually experienced double letter tapping because I use a bluetooth keyboard (maybe I did when I "mistyped" by login password), but when I would try to adjust the screen brightness I couldn't unless a tapped really fast or light because it would double tap the speaker icon, which basically opened and closed it before I could adjust the slider.

Since the firmware update my screen responds "perfectly" to touch.

2 Posts

November 26th, 2013 17:00

I agree...didn't improve anything for me either.  Still waiting on Dell to address this.  I saw the following review of the Dell where the author concurs there is a problem.  "Touch sensitivity is good but sometimes a bit too good, with scrolling occasionally being interpreted as a tap." 

http://www.umpcportal.com/2013/11/dell-venue-8-pro-review/

2 Posts

I updated the firmware on both of my devices prior to my post. However, the touch sensitivity issue is still there... It is very annoying. A touch device that cannot handle touch inputs properly is unacceptable.

This is the first and probably the last product I've ever purchased from Dell. 

52 Posts

For me, that patch didn't improve anything with regards to touch.

4 Posts

November 30th, 2013 19:00

I too ammm experiencing the ssame issue.. it makes it very hard to type. I think it's a hardware issue since it doesn't appear a lot of people are complaining about it. Totally ruinsss this tablet experience.. I was hoping dell would have a solution for this issue by now, but it seems like I will have to send back for a replacement. As an aside, I feel it got worse after I put a screen protector on.

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 18:00

I have the exact same problem, random double taps, clicks, and scrolls. Making it almost impossible to type sometimes. And it honestly is a deal breaker.  if they don't fix this soon. I'm gonna have to return my beloved Venue 8 pro. :(

3 Posts

December 3rd, 2013 19:00

UPDATE: i contacted customer support and they remotely accessed my Venue 8 pro (probly from India, lol). and they downloaded Synaptics firmware, and Calibrated the screen for 'TOUCH INPUT'... <<-- I think the calibration is what actually did the trick. So Try 'Calibrating your screen'...

And now the Tech support guy is currently Updating my BIOS from A01 to A03... He says that this will help with the overheating problem (where the bottom left side of the screen gets hot)... after the BIOS update, i noticed an improvement with the warm-back issue.

UPDATE: Super-Sensitive-Touchscreen Issue **SOLVED**

4 Posts

December 4th, 2013 01:00

Yea! Downloading the driver (it's marked urgent in the Dell driver list), installing it, rebooting, and THEN running the calibration did the trick. To run the calibration, go to the Start screen, search "calibration" and select the result. In the calibration program, set your screen as touch and then choose calibrate. It will have you touch a series of about 8 crosspoints on the screen. Apply, save, and problems solved! Thanks, Faazon!

4 Posts

December 5th, 2013 08:00

UPDATE: i contacted customer support and they remotely accessed my Venue 8 pro (probly from India, lol). and they downloaded Synaptics firmware, and Calibrated the screen for 'TOUCH INPUT'... <<-- I think the calibration is what actually did the trick. So Try 'Calibrating your screen'...

And now the Tech support guy is currently Updating my BIOS from A01 to A03... He says that this will help with the overheating problem (where the bottom left side of the screen gets hot)... after the BIOS update, i noticed an improvement with the warm-back issue.

UPDATE: Super-Sensitive-Touchscreen Issue **SOLVED**

Done that prior and still does not work.  Actually makes it worse since I can't bring up the charms after performing the calibration.  Unfortunately this solution does not work for me but I'm glad it works for you and others.

4 Posts

December 5th, 2013 09:00

It's funny - I had a hard time bringing up the charms after calibration as well. However, when I reset back, I was able to bring up the charms and the sensitivity was gone. Not sure what about that process fixed it, but it's much better at this point.

11 Posts

December 5th, 2013 09:00

I too lost charms after calibration.  I reset calibration (which deletes the calibration data) and the charms worked again.  I then re-performed the calibration and now the charms work.

4 Posts

December 6th, 2013 05:00

Little update. I redid the calibration and I had some better results. Still not perfect but id say typing is 20% better. Steps: 1. Bring up search via charms 2. Type in Calibrate 3. Select Calibrate the screen for touch and pen input 4. Rotate the tablet to landscape so the orientation changes to landscape 5. Select Calibrate 6. Select Touch Input 7. The points to touch should appear only on half the screen 8. Touch the points you can touch 9. Double tap on the middle of the screen and a message will pop up asking if you want to save calibration data 10. Select NO Please share your results with the forum.
No Events found!