Noellenchris1
1 Copper

RE: Dell Venue 8 Pro Touch Sensitivity

Wow, 6 pages and Dell support can't acknowledge anything, maybe that were looking at the issue?  The only feedback I seem to see is when someone post in the threads saying they talked to Dell support and said "dkdkdkdk" and they post it here or that they were on the phone for 3hrs and nothing...:(  Cmon Dell get to work, it's not to hard to quote these threads and send these to some important dell people and get the attention we deserve.  

Chris

0 Kudos
Lou Stule
3 Argentium

@ drahnier, @LAAF2005: — I also noticed that side-by-side difference between two 32GB Venue 8 Pro displays; the one with overall yellow cast also has slightly lower contrast & brightness. No amount of tweaking the Display settings could get it looking as bright & crisp as the "good" display's default settings. (Prior to comparing, both tablets had all applicable upgrades & updates installed & auto-bright off.) 

Unless you observe the difference side-by-side, you might not be aware if you have "good" vs. "poor" display, but the difference in contrast & legibility is very noticeable! I suspect that this issue could be under-reported at this time, because relatively few V8 Pro owners will have been able to do a side-by-side comparison with a model built with a "good" screen. I'm grateful that I spotted the difference in time to arrange a swap-out!.

drahnier
2 Iron

LAAF2005:

Thanks for posting this.  I was sure, I didn't see things here. - And, l'm experiencing even more differences between the two models: I got hold of one of these infamous active pens (I bought it from ebay - what a waste of money!). On both models, the pen, even with the latest firmware (Jan, 02.) applied, is performing extremely bad. But, while on the 64bit model, it at least works somehow, on the 32bit model, most of the time, it is not even recognised. If it is, it "performs" for a few seconds, causing all kinds of strange ghost clicks before stopping to work completely. 

drahnier (Latitude 10, Venue 8 Pro 64GB, 2x Venue 8 Pro 32GB)

Highlighted
Lou Stule
3 Argentium

These 2 problems you've mentioned with your 32GB V8 Pro may not be separate issues, but different symptoms of the same problem — namely a defective display — since the size of the RAM module is the only difference between the 32GB & 64GB versions, & your "64" doesn't have those same issues (even tho the pen still sucks — I agree). 

Although it's helpful for Venue tablet owners to share  tips & tricks here in Dell's forums, these forums are not an "official path" to the engineers responsible for fixing the problems reported here...

If you're not still within the window to be eligible for a swap, please preserve your options for warranty repair by promptly reporting your concerns to Dell Mobility Support. 

0 Kudos
drahnier
2 Iron

Lou Stule:

I appreciate your want to help by suggesting to contact Dell support, but - that's easier said than done if you live in Thailand (where the Dell Venue 8's are not marketed). I contacted Dell Thailand once when I had an issue with my Latitude 10 and they were not particularly helpful ... 

0 Kudos
teejay00
1 Copper

Actually, Im not sure that living in Thailand is your biggest challenge. I live in the US and have spent countless hours on the phone with Dell mobility support. I have found their support folks to be under-trained, unknowledgeable, and unreliable. Never again will I do business with Dell. Hopefully you have better luck than I have.
0 Kudos
drahnier
2 Iron

Teejay00: Well, in that case, do yourself a favour and do not consider Lenovo as an alternative (I've wasted countless hours with their ThinkPad Tablet 2 support) ...

0 Kudos
tortex73
1 Copper

I just got my replacement today, and it wasted no time in showing me that it too had the same touch screen issues. I now have three Venue 8 Pros in my possession and all three of them have the issue. And now all three of them are going back. This was the first Dell product I've bought in a very long time, and it is definitely going to be the last. 

teejay00
1 Copper

Same here... 3 different devices, each have the same issues with touch response. So tired of this POS device and Dell's lack of interest. This is definitely my last Dell purchase, as well. emoticon.Sad.title

In reply to Drahnier's previous comment about Lenovo and the poor experience trying to get support for the Thinkpad Tablet 2... That's disappointing to hear, as I've always held Lenovo in high regard. I've owned 6 different Lenovo laptops over the years (both work and personal laptops). I've always had good luck with Lenovo's products and never needed to contact them for support. In most cases, I try to avoid OEM support whenever possible (too much hassle/frustration). Unfortunately, with the Dell V8P's touch related problems, I wasn't able to find an acceptable solution on my own. Maybe I'm naïve, but I can't imagine that any respectable OEM wouldn't have performed enough testing to reveal such an obvious issue that affects the primary source of user input (touch). Either Dell dropped the ball in their testing, or they knowingly chose to ship a flawed product. Either way, I'm done with Dell and hope to have a more positive experience with a competing device.

Yup, disappointing. I never planned to use an 8" device for much typing, but even the little I do is frustrating. To me, the main problem is that I touch the wrong charracters too often. This is due to the screen being extremely sensitive and my fingertips activate the wrong places on the way to what I to touch.

As for screen color and brightness, mine is plenty bright and usually I keep it way down. However, it does have a bit of a yellow tint. Obvious when playing scenes with clouds and white water next to my iPad. What is worse, is the gamma adjustment was off and somehow it resulted in images that were both flat and clipping colors (not enough gradation). Dialing down he gamma to 0.8 improves the image considerably, to a point it is almost as good as the iPad mini, except a bit warmer. Good enough I s

ay.

aNo such issues with iPad mini and my Nokia Windows phone.