Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2014 02:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro Touch screen not working

I can't login due to the touch screen not working

Swiping doesn't work and I can't get the keyboard to come up. I really don't want to have to buy another keyboard or hub just to get this thing working and I can't sell it cause it doesn't work.

Currently it's a large paper weigh

Please help

:(

21 Posts

September 7th, 2014 04:00

hi Redvex - see my post, upgrade the touch panel firmware and Samsung LCD firmware, and get to A12 bios if not on it....at least that way when you talk to Dell Support, they too will be out of suggestions but give you a refund or new one.....luckily my warranty only started last week, hopefully your is not too old.

21 Posts

September 7th, 2014 05:00

Hiya

1 Attach power lead, and remove any dock, or attached usb device or keyboard

2 Go to link below, and expand BIOS, FIRMWARE sections, download the two files.

3 Then get this update, assuming your on the venue pro 8 5830.

4 Close all apps, install ONLY one of the three, reboot, then 2nd one, reboot, then 3rd one, reboot

5 hope it helps

LINKS

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/dell-venue-8-pro/drivers

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverid=X267N

3 Posts

How do I do that?  the screen doesn't register any form of touching

3 Posts

The port on the side is rather small for a standard usb keyboard.

Do i need  an adapter too?

21 Posts

The not recognising any form of touching bit...attach a standard USB keyboard to get you to the web pages, and download the files. So 1,2,3 tick.

You can then do 4 as long as the usb keyboard you attached is a simple five bucks keyboard - so not a fancy one with trackpad attached, as that confuses the touchscreen updater.

:)

915 Posts

September 7th, 2014 09:00

Dell tech. support:

Mobile Devices (Phones) & Tablets
1-800-308-3355 24/7

http://www.dell.com/support/contents/us/en/19/category/Contact-Information/Technical-Support?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19

Note that if an issue remains, you still are under warranty.

21 Posts

September 7th, 2014 13:00

you can get a mini to full usb connector, but will probably get screwed over and pay usd$10 for what costs 10cents to make

915 Posts

September 7th, 2014 14:00

you can get a mini to full usb connector, but will probably get screwed over and pay usd$10 for what costs 10cents to make

You mean a micro to full USB, right?  And Dell U.S. sells one, in OTG form, for $2.99 shipped.

(Also, can be found inexpensively at Amazon.com, eBay, etc.) 

21 Posts

September 7th, 2014 15:00

..admirable your great cost saving (assuming you work for dell) 2.99 topic is, I am one hacked off customer mikerman, and as you haven't replied to my rant in my 10 chain query elsewhere, it tells me you know there are fundamental flaws with this *** tin.

yes, I am happy working away, and yes typing

, but seriously...

1 bios installed incorrectly by dell

2 touchpad firmware on <5 day old device, was >6months old

3 system restore does not work (are we really expecting the average joe to do what I just did - diskpart from restore cd, followed by diskpart again to setup gpt drive for example for vPro functions...)

4 and still issue persists....there should be no, and I mean no reason ever, ever, ever, ever that a touchpad stops working if its the only input mechanism

anyway off to watch tv.....hoping dell support guy tomorrow takes the path of least resistance and just says immediately, .....want your money back.

(I have UK distance selling law anyway so don't care tbh - 8 days to return)

915 Posts

September 7th, 2014 17:00

(@pimlico:  I don't know what other rant you're referring to (you didn't link to it); and I'm just a consumer, like you (not a Dell employee).  But I hope that you're enjoying your TV . . . .)

No Events found!