Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2013 12:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro bad choice of USB Micro-A socket with USB Micro-B plug. Already broken!

Got the Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet and it seems to be a great Windows tablet. But I already broke one of the pins in the Micro USB power connector. Funny thing is the socket in the tablet is a rectangular Micro-A and the power cable plug is Micro-B (un-even shape which makes you plug in the right way if the socket is also Micro B). One can easily put the Micro-B plug in the Micro-A socket in the wrong way and if you force it, it will break the pins inside. Just like I did today! I don't know who in the world made this choice! I have been using Android phones which correctly use a Micro-B socket and Micro-B plug!

For my issue, I will try to call Dell service and see whether they will replace the connector. :-(

2 Intern

• 

480 Posts

January 6th, 2014 17:00

The paint is a good idea, but you're just prolonging the inevitable. Sooner or later, you're going to plug it in upside-down and destroy it. It should not be possible to do this. Each and every one of these Dell Venue 8 Pro devices is doomed to an early extinction because of this. It's a colossal design failure. Dell needs to recall them all.

I've painted nearly the entire back of every plug I use with this thing white.  I'll never plug in it backwards.   But I do think that someone's head should roll at Dell for making such a terrible decision.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if a large percentage of these get broken and returned.  It's going to be a huge loss for Dell.

14 Posts

January 6th, 2014 18:00

Unless Dell has warehouses full of these they'll be doing a "minor" fix to new systems based on their returns.

If they do this we'll all just return them in the fall (just before the end of the warranty) and get new ones with the plug problem fixed.  Those who don't use there tablets much will keep the old connectors.

Does Dell monitor these forums?

7 Posts

January 6th, 2014 18:00

Do they monitor the forums? haha funny. No. They do occasionally respond to @DellCares on twitter

5 Posts

January 7th, 2014 12:00

Been looking around, ie Best Buy, Frys, Dell website, eBay, and because I really like this thing while I had it, I just might buy another one from Costco. If the USB receptacle fails again (I'll have 90 days to use it), I'll just take it back.

January 7th, 2014 12:00

If it wasn't for the goofy usb port, it'd be the Windows device of the year. It's too bad. I'd buy one in a snap if the port was fixed.

7 Posts

January 7th, 2014 13:00

100% agree.  USB aside, the device is awesome.  I received my new device today, port is the same.  I plan to mark the USB cable as suggested above and ban all others in the world from charging it or touching it while on the charger to avoid future issues. 

1 Message

January 7th, 2014 23:00

I also experienced this same problem got RMA agreement to return as I believe the design is defective with the current incorrect USB port installed.

I have found that if you accidentally try to insert the supplied B USB connector upside down it will bend the inner connecter but will plug in without forcing it.  since some force is required to insert the plug into the socket in all cases..   I have taken an Exacto knife and carefully bent the center conductor tab back down where it should be for a B connector and the cable will insert again correctly and charge.  However the stress from plugging this cable in upside down a couple of times can break off this tab... This is definitely a design flaw .and should be recalled and  corrected by DELL.

5 Posts

January 8th, 2014 16:00

@CM.....Please let us know what type of USB receptacle is used to replace the original. I suspect they may just send you a new tablet with the same type receptacle installed.

15 Posts

January 9th, 2014 07:00

Do they monitor the forums? haha funny. No. They do occasionally respond to @DellCares on twitter

Hello MBrooks,

I am sorry to hear about your previous Customer Service experience but, we do monitor the forums.  I do not always respond until we have information we can share or until we have a fix in place.  Dell Engineers have been made aware of customer concerns with the USB plug type on the Venue 8 Pro and we are working on a solution for future products. Jeff Leites has an excellent suggestion, to mark the up-side in some fashion. In the mean time, it is suggested to ensure you plug it in right-side-up and never force the plug.  I hope to have further updates as they come available.

Thank you all for your updates, feedback and patience,

-Don D.

January 9th, 2014 10:00

Thanks for responding, Don. I was VERY sad to have to return mine but I positively KNEW that either I or someone in my family would eventually plug it in wrong and destroy the device. If that fragile tiny connector is broken, you can't charge the device do it is 100% bricked. I seriously loved the device but was actually losing sleep with worry about the connector. Yes, that's silly, but true, so my only choice was to return it. This was the first time I'd ever bought from Dell and it was a very disappointing experience. What really puzzles me is that I read so many glowingly positive reviews about the device from people like Paul Thurrott and nobody mentioned this seemingly obvious design flaw. How could they have missed this? And more importantly, how could Dell's design engineers have missed it? The minute I looked at the connecter, it was glaringly obvious that it was wrong. Then a bit of Internet research verified the issue for me. How could this not have occurred to Dell before it left the factory floor? Some explanation would sure be nice.

January 9th, 2014 11:00

"Reviewers don't use the product as long as a typical users so they may miss things like this." I'm not sure I buy this. I'm not a professional reviewer and the issue was obvious to me instantly. I heard that some people had trouble with the magnetic connector on the Surface RT, but there's no risk of destroying the Surface by connecting it wrong. Very different situation. We are talking a minor inconvenience versus a catastrophic failure. BTW, a tip for anyone that has a Surface RT: the trick for connecting the magnetic charge cable is to hold it by the wire about 3 inches away from the connector - don't hold the actual connector. Then wave the connector in front of the socket. Let the magnet do the work, and it will pop right in. This really helped me. I love my Surface RT, and I've had it since release in 2011.

14 Posts

You are right - I can't speak for reviews.

I can speak for me - I've never had a problem like this before so I just didn't pay attention.  I have a Surface RT and when you plug it in wrong you don't see the blue light - big give away!

I'd rather have an uncharged Surface than a bricked Dell Venue - you are so right that this is a very important issue since it kills the device.  When I get mine replace (due any day now) I'll look for extra instructions or a physical change to see if Dell has made any changes.

Why don't we all email / tweet Paul???

David

I wondered about the A/B port so I went to my local Futureshop and Staples stores and looked at all of the phones and tablets. I could not find one single device that used a  A/B type slot. I'm glad you've never plugged your BT device upside down "yet". I'm thinking maybe you might be younger than me and so your eyes are probably better than mine. Thanks again for the replies.

14 Posts

Reviewers don't use the product as long as a typical users so they may miss things like this.  I know that Paul didn't like the connector on the Microsoft Surface and found that early on.

Why didn't a Dell engineer find this problem - - - either they didn't or they found it so late in the development / production cycle that they were told to shut up by their manager.  Obviously Dell knows now - but who in Dell wants to jump up and down demanding they all be replaced when customers are hardly saying a peep.

15 Posts

Thanks for responding, Don. I was VERY sad to have to return mine but I positively KNEW that either I or someone in my family would eventually plug it in wrong and destroy the device. If that fragile tiny connector is broken, you can't charge the device do it is 100% bricked. I seriously loved the device but was actually losing sleep with worry about the connector. Yes, that's silly, but true, so my only choice was to return it. This was the first time I'd ever bought from Dell and it was a very disappointing experience. What really puzzles me is that I read so many glowingly positive reviews about the device from people like Paul Thurrott and nobody mentioned this seemingly obvious design flaw. How could they have missed this? And more importantly, how could Dell's design engineers have missed it? The minute I looked at the connecter, it was glaringly obvious that it was wrong. Then a bit of Internet research verified the issue for me. How could this not have occurred to Dell before it left the factory floor? Some explanation would sure be nice.

Hello Darryl,

I am sorry this port has caused you such concern and such a negative experience on your first Dell product. I hope this does not dissuade you from try us again. In regards to the A/B port: I cannot speak for engineering and the approvals for specs go through a multitude of people.  However, I would speculate they chose the A/B type slot for it's flexibility. It supports either A or B, and is a time proven in many other devices on the market. I even have an A/B slot on my Bluetooth headset, I have had for 3 years now.  I have not plugged it in upside down yet. Therefore we could not have foreseen such a concern.

Thank you for your feedback,

-Don D.

No Events found!