Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2013 12:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro bad choice of USB Micro-A socket with USB Micro-B plug. Already broken!

Got the Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet and it seems to be a great Windows tablet. But I already broke one of the pins in the Micro USB power connector. Funny thing is the socket in the tablet is a rectangular Micro-A and the power cable plug is Micro-B (un-even shape which makes you plug in the right way if the socket is also Micro B). One can easily put the Micro-B plug in the Micro-A socket in the wrong way and if you force it, it will break the pins inside. Just like I did today! I don't know who in the world made this choice! I have been using Android phones which correctly use a Micro-B socket and Micro-B plug!

For my issue, I will try to call Dell service and see whether they will replace the connector. :-(

1 Message

March 22nd, 2014 08:00

Another one bytes the dust. Not really easy for kids to plug in their own tablet.

March 22nd, 2014 11:00

Condolences. That especially  Profane word removed as per TOU> when a kid is burned by  Substitute character removed as per TOU> design. Thanks Dell. On the up-side, you should see the Venue Pro 8 in fire-sale clearance bins soon. Don't buy a reconditioned one though. You can be sure it's had its pins bent and then re-straightened for a fast sale.

1 Message

April 3rd, 2014 10:00

My USB stopped working, and after reading these posts I feared the worst. The socket, while obviously very fragile, looked OK.

For other reasons, I did a full restart. The USB now works !

Has anyone used it with USB devices beyond simple things like flash drives ?

3 Posts

April 3rd, 2014 14:00

I got a micro to USB female adaptor and could use thumb drives great to play movies etc.  I read that it works well with keyboard or mouse.

However, it did not work as hoped for my SSD.  Apparently, the micro usb port will only work for data OR for power, so any device sucking power through the usb will not work well.  You can't just plug in your 3 TB movie drive for now.

I read that you can get a "Y" adaptor and hook it to power on the one side and to a drive on the other side, but at that point, you have so many cables going,  I don't know what the point is. 

2 Posts

April 15th, 2014 15:00

We have had THREE of them die within three months. The USB ports fail. It is just not robust enough for a device like this. Integrating power and USB on the same fragile port was a terrible design idea. Dell should have licensed apples spade type connector. My kids have killed numerous ipad adapters, but the port is still fine. Good thing we bought at Costco. They have all been returned. The manager at the local Costco said almost 100% of them come back with charging problems. The manager said he bought one and his failed within a month and a half. This is a very nice product, functionality wise, but the execution/design decision of a USB port that also charges was terrible. Tablets, even cheap ones, really need inductively coupled charging or a spade type design like iPads. Any other design is just not robust enough. People use devices like PDAs and they see a LOT of abuse. Dell really needs to recall these devices and replace them with a proper port. It would similar to putting cheap plastic windows in a car and then blaming the driver when a bird craps on the windshield and it cracks. It really is that bad of a design flaw. I really hate returning the device as the whole family likes it, but I just can not keep a device that I know for certain will have the only charge/io port die before the year warranty is up. P.S. Dell will NOT warranty a broken USB port. They consider it end user damage and not a design flaw.

14 Posts

April 15th, 2014 16:00

A co-worker of mine was admiring my Dell Venue Pro 8 today.  I told him it only had one problem - the USB connector and recommended that he didnt buy it.

Dell is taking all these broken units, fixing the connector (not improving) and putting them on cheap.  They will show many people their poor engineering as these systems get recycled.

Both my Surface and iPad 3 connectors work - sometimes my Surface connector doesn't fit 100% and doesn't charge - but it isn't broken.

1 Message

June 15th, 2014 02:00

I have a Dell XPS 10 Windows RT tablet, this also has a USB A-B Connector. It's the only device I have ever seen this on. Mine is also fitted UPSIDE DOWN , I had already put a dot of white paint on the up side of every USB charging plug in the house, if I use a USB charger with this I have to remember to plug it in upside down, I will inevitably have a problem with this one day, though I am ultra careful about it. It also has it's own proprietary charging connector a nice big thing the size of a HDMI Plug which I use most of the time, so at least I could charge it with that, though I tend to leave it plugged in at home & use my phone charger when out & about working. I was doing some research on Windows 8 tablets & thought the Dell with a pen would be nice, I want to run AutoCAD, would like something small enough to fit in a coat pocket, & not have Windows RT as I can't find a decent .DWG viewer for RT. I thought I had found the ideal device with the Venue Pro 8 but the pen support still looks flaky & the charging port issue is a deal breaker for me. It needs a separate charging port. Looks like I will have to try the Lenovo ThinkPad 8 & miss out on the pen or wait till Dell bring out a new 8 inch Windows tablet with a pen that works & a proper charging port, preferably magnetic.

42 Posts

June 15th, 2014 10:00

1: Shouldn't have to do that 2: It might work for me but if anyone else plugs it in they probably won't know 3: Won't work if I am plugging in the dark (as does happen with all my devices sometimes) 4: I have numerous micro usb cables all around for al my devices, ridiculous I would have to paint all of them. 5; Everyone eventually makes a mistake.... Really the cause should be addressed. I wonder if it's possible to make a small piece of plastic that once slipped in convers the square shape to a trapezoid shape

June 15th, 2014 11:00

Good point. I've been warning my friends against buying a cheap refurbished Venue, tempting though it may be. That connector is a disaster and on a refurbish, you're likely getting one that has been compromised.

915 Posts

June 15th, 2014 19:00

One workaround, as sort of suggested above: buy a short extension cable and leave that plugged into the DV8P, and then plug accessories into the extension's "normal" (i.e., one way only) micro USB female connector at the other end. I've been doing this and it really does ease one's mind--and also eases stress on the USB port. (By the way, the problematic connector was not Dell's choice--that connector is mandated--heaven knows why--by the relevant industry standards committee.) Highly recommended (although the price has gone up $3 since I purchased, and now is kinda silly for a small extension like this): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EJHH20/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

June 16th, 2014 08:00

My son's 5 month old Venue 8 has just been bricked. Great thing is, there is no asset tag on the outside (we bought it through Staples -- not sure if that matters, but the tag is not there along the edge), and since it is bricked, there is no way to retrieve it from the running device. Dell was very helpful. As soon as I fix the device far enough that we can retrieve the tag, they are willing to consider if they can replace/repair it. Until then, however, the fact that I have a broken Dell device physically in my hand is not sufficient proof that I have a broken Dell device ...? Anyway, no help, no solution, no mas. I'm done buying personal devices from Dell.

- Wes

June 16th, 2014 10:00

To NewlyDisappointed - is the service tag on the box? (If you have the box). I know this advice is too late but I've taken to taking a photograph of receipts and serial numbers for new devices I buy. That helps for these situations. Sorry this happened - I'm sure it's very disappointing for you kid. And you. Shame on Dell for doing this to their customers. PS: I'm also done buying personal devices from Dell.

June 16th, 2014 18:00

A friend suggested using one of these connectors for charging the DVP 8 as they use the connector that Dell should have used on their charge cable - this one can't be plugged in wrong: If you think you might accidentally do this, buy a USB Micro A cable to use for charging your DV8P. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000UNPVMY Or a Micro A to Micro AB adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Micro-A-Micro-AB-Adapter-Manhattan-308748/dp/B002QWIXUO Here is an OTG cable with a USB Micro A end. https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11604

14 Posts

October 22nd, 2014 09:00

I have had my DV8P back to Dell once already to repair
the power/micro usb connector which fails for many users.

Now the last week it is getting loose again and fails to charge half the time.

I hard-taped the cable into the port when I received it back the last time, hoping to reduce wear, but it isn't working out.

After it goes out of warranty, 
I am afraid the repair may be expensive.

I consider it a design flaw, 
and would gladly swap this tablet out for 
some other model without this connector issue,
but I doubt Dell will do that, 
and expect to own a brick.

October 22nd, 2014 13:00

I like your optimism, Mr. Halliday, but the DVP8 has been out for a year now and Dell has done nothing so it's not going to happen, I'd think. On the up-side, expect to see a lot of similar devices hitting the market for the holiday season. Amazing hardware at incredible prices. $200 will buy a lot of machine.

No Events found!