Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 21st, 2013 12:00

Dell Venue 8 Pro bad choice of USB Micro-A socket with USB Micro-B plug. Already broken!

Got the Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet and it seems to be a great Windows tablet. But I already broke one of the pins in the Micro USB power connector. Funny thing is the socket in the tablet is a rectangular Micro-A and the power cable plug is Micro-B (un-even shape which makes you plug in the right way if the socket is also Micro B). One can easily put the Micro-B plug in the Micro-A socket in the wrong way and if you force it, it will break the pins inside. Just like I did today! I don't know who in the world made this choice! I have been using Android phones which correctly use a Micro-B socket and Micro-B plug!

For my issue, I will try to call Dell service and see whether they will replace the connector. :-(

29 Posts

January 20th, 2016 19:00

Sorry, but I meant to ask you if this one would work too?  I placed the order for the other one but can cancel it without a problem since I just did it.

www.amazon.com/.../ref=pd_sim_107_5;dpID=315kaJfPb1L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1QSMZWDAA8NRW4917Z8A

29 Posts

January 20th, 2016 19:00

Thank you, I just ordered it.  I'll leave it in the tablet so I don't have to worry about this issue again. Just once question though, does the cord run down the side or up?

915 Posts

January 21st, 2016 07:00

The second cable would seem to work as well.  As best I can tell, the only real difference between the two cables is the length--you might want to see which length is better for you.  Personally, for my use, I like the shorter Motorola cable length (I also liked the reliability of the Motorola cable/brand). 

I generally use my cable in the landscape position, with the USB port, on-off button, and volume buttons on the top--in that position, the Motorola cable (and it looks like the other cable would as well) exits the port and goes to the right.  (With the tablet in the portrait position with the Windows button on the top, the cables would hang down from the port.)  This is the direction I wanted and that seems to work well.

Hope this helps.

29 Posts

January 21st, 2016 10:00

I think you're right.  A shorter cord would work better so I can leave it in and not worry that it would get caught in/on something.  I like that the cord would hang down along the side of the Venue.  Thanks for the info.

915 Posts

January 21st, 2016 13:00

Also available is a right-angle connector--basically, the cable adapter here without a cable.  I had been tempted to get one, but then thought that it might stain the original port--with the cable adapter, I think that the cable portion reduces the strain.

29 Posts

January 23rd, 2016 11:00

I was originally looking for an adapter that could stay in - sort of like the USB adapter for a cordless mouse.  Just put it in the computer and forget about it. My concern with anything that has a cord is that it will get stuck on something.  I'd much rather have something that stays in the tablet itself.  I looked online and couldn't seem to find anything (mainly because I'm not sure what to look for).  If you have a suggestion on where I could find something like hat (link)  I'd appreciate it. 

915 Posts

January 24th, 2016 09:00

And you might especially be interested in something like this (certainly can't beat the $.99 shipped price!):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-90-Degree-Left-right-Angle-Micro-USB-B-Male-to-Female-Plug-Adapters-charger-/252252219505?var=&hash=item3abb676871:m:marlTw75PaFFh6CCyyygFEg

(Personally, I'm still concerned about extra stress this might place on the tablet's port, as I mentioned earlier.)

29 Posts

January 24th, 2016 11:00

Thanks. Too bad I didn't see them before this I could have saved myself 9 bucks.  LOL!  As an aside, I once bought a car charger for my mother's cell phone off eBay (the kind that plugs into the lighter) and it caused every fuse in her car to blow out.  The saving grace was that it was on an old Chrysler which wasn't run by computers, otherwise she would have been in big trouble if her electrical system blew out while she was driving.   Be wary of any electronic device you buy from China unless they are from a well known manufacturer who test the product first.

915 Posts

January 25th, 2016 11:00

Personally, I don't think that you're out the $$:  as  mentioned, the benefit of the short cable version is that it dissipates, I think, tension on the tablet port--I was concerned that the "elbow" adapters could cause that.  I think that the cable adapter will work well for you--

And yep, always a concern over the low-cost (imported) parts, but there often isn't any choice.

4 Posts

April 11th, 2016 13:00

Thanks Rich2beach for your comment

2 Posts

September 1st, 2016 17:00

Bought my Pro 11 2 years 8 months ago. That USB port broke on me three times - The last two times within 4 months of each other.

No I never forced anything. The darn thing just breaks off internally and suddenly, it doesn't charge anymore.

Sad that such a great company would design something so poorly.

Ready to drop this one in the trash and buy elsewhere. So frustrating. Luckily I have a laptop (not Dell) to continue my work on.

4 Posts

December 19th, 2016 09:00

I just dropped my Venue 8 Pro 64GB into the trash.  Good Riddance & what a waste of $300.   :(

915 Posts

December 19th, 2016 11:00

I just dropped my Venue 8 Pro 64GB into the trash.  Good Riddance & what a waste of $300.   :(

How 'bout mail it to me instead?   :emotion-5:

No Events found!