nagendra mishr
1 Copper

RE: Dell Venue 8 Pro bad choice of USB Micro-A socket with USB Micro-B plug. Already broken!

Jump to solution

Mine is not broken yet, but it wont charge..  bad design.

What is the consensus on how to get this resolved ? Do we all insist on sending back to dell  so that the numbers start to show that there is a design problem?  

0 Kudos
joevans3
1 Copper

RE: Dell Venue 8 Pro bad choice of USB Micro-A socket with USB Micro-B plug. Already broken!

Jump to solution

Thanks for posting, I'm so glad I saw this.  I am very intrigued by the 8 pro tablet, but in searching if it has any Qi specs, I found this thread.  This is a nonsensical problem, and I"m sorry to hear how Dell is handling it. 

Reconsidering purchase.

0 Kudos
davidsmi
6 Indium

Jump to solution
Let's say the odds of breaking yours is 50/50 over the next 3 years. - less than 1 year you'll have to deal with Dell who may say it is your fault, or take 6 weeks to fix. - more then a year and you'll have to find someone to for it - or pay Dell My second tablet is coming back from Dell repaired. I don't want it so more time on the phone with them.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution
I'd think the odds of breaking it are much lower if you are aware of the risk and are therefore extra careful. It's still an excellent device despite the Achilles heel of the poor choice of USB socket.
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

I hate to sound like a broken record (an analogy  those under 35 probably don't get), but you can significantly lower the risk by clearly marking one side of every usb plug that you use with the tablet.

davidsmi
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Being over 35 I agree.

im just thinking a typical user who doesn't visit this discussion will stand a high chance of breaking the connector in 2-3 years. 

8 Krypton

Jump to solution

@

You could be right.

Off topic, but since you are over 35, do you know how may grooves there are on one side of a phonograph record?

Answer:  1 emoticon.BigSmile.title

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution
Unless it's a Monty Python record in which case there may be two grooves on one side! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multisided_record
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

Unless it's a Monty Python record in which case there may be two grooves on one side! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multisided_record

I did not know that.  I'll have to say "Typical" record from now on.

0 Kudos
stevenjbv8p
1 Copper

Jump to solution
The microB USB plug that comes with the Dell Venue 8 Pro is marked on the side that faces up (screen side) with the "USB Pronged logo" (narrow side on the connector) - easy to feel when plugging in.
0 Kudos