Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 22nd, 2014 23:00

Dell Venue 8 Problems

I have two problems that make this tablet nearly unusable. First, a screen defect along the top or right side (in landscape or portraait moode, respectively) causes a double image when touched. It makes it impossible to use menus, min/max buttons, exit button, title bar or window menu when the app is maximized. If I flip the device over, then I can't use the taskbar. Instead, it thinks I'm trying to zoom. What a cluster. The other problem is with the on-screen keypad. Haven't these people ever heard of software key debouncers? Why would a key ever need to repeat faster than the auto-repeat speed? Filteer out the duplicates for heaaven's sake! I've written software debounceers. It isn't rroooccket science. A driver can do this. The debounce interval could even be configurable. I see keys repeat as fast as 20 per sseccond on this<ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU>. You can see the effects in this post: I left them for your edification. This could have been a great product, but for me, it's just an expensive paperwwwweight. Any suggestions?

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2014 00:00

Thanks for the quick reply Jeff. I'm installing the updates, and I'll see how it goes. I guess I'll have to call customer support about the screen touch aliasing problem. Gagh. 

2 Intern

• 

480 Posts

June 22nd, 2014 23:00

The screen defect sounds like you got a bad unit.

As for the key bounce, I found it greatly improved after applying the "Panel Touch Firmware for Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830" update, and after I installed the new "A08 Dell Venue 8 Pro 5830 System BIOS" this morning, I haven't noticed any bounce unless I get sloppy when using my fingers, or use my cheap (99 cent) stylus.

No Events found!