Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2015 00:00

Dell Venue 8 pro and Windows 10

Hi, I managed quite easily to update all my laptops desktops etc to windows 10 and I must say I am quite impressed with the new OS. Unfortunately I tried almost everything I could to upgrade my Dell venue 8 pro yet it kept failing. Dell say they have had it running the new windows 10.

Perhaps someone could advise where I might be going wrong.

I think it might be a memory problem; as I only have the 32gb model and 20 of this is taken up with windows 8. The only software I have on the tablet is a book reader, with about 6 books on it.

I only use this to surf the net, check emails and read so it is not full of software. I have a 32gb sd card to hold my books, which are measure in mb anyway.

It would be great to perform a clean install but this is not possible initially as windows 10 would not be activated.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you

1.8K Posts

August 3rd, 2015 15:00

Hi,

I went through the exact same issue with my Venue Pro 8.  I finally got it to download / install the "Get Windows 10" app.

Problem is, I'm not sure exactly which of the steps I did was the one that finally worked.  :(

Okay, so here goes:

1. Make sure you run Windows Update and install ALL the "important" updates.  Look for KB article 2976978, that is the main one.  Make sure it is installed successfully. See this KB article from Microsoft for more details.  That's the one I kept going back to for information and links.  

NOTE: Try the "Windows 10 Troubleshooter" utility on that page.  It will help find out what is causing the delay.  

2. Once you have all the updates from Windows let your system sit for a day or two.  Microsoft is slowly rolling out Windows 10 and there is a "lag" in time from when you install all the required updates until you see the "Get Win 10" app appear.  

3. If you don't see the app within a day or so try flashing your BIOS.   (Go to the Dell support pages, input your service tag, click on downloads and drivers, then look for the BIOS update).  You'll want to go to BIOS A11.  Download and follow the instructions.  Keep your Venue Pro plugged into a power source while you're doing the BIOS flash since you really don't want it to run out of power while doing it.  The BIOS update only takes about 3 or 4 minutes.  Just follow the on screen prompts and you'll be fine.

NOTE:  You might want to do the flash update immediately. It can't hurt and honestly it's the last thing I did before I received the "Get Windows 10" app.  

I'm not sure that the BIOS flash is what did it. I was getting so frustrated that I was trying updates, doing things to try to update the tablet, etc.  I think it was just a delay from the time I got KB 2976978 installed.  But I'm not 100% sure.  All I know is that I did those updates, kept working until I got KB 2976978 installed (it won't if the other updates aren't done).  

Eventually it will work.  

Let me know how everything goes.

UPDATE:  BTW, it was Saturday night I think that I finally got the Win10 app installed.  I registered / reserved my copy but selected the option to be emailed when the download was available to me.  I still have not been notified that it's available.  As I said, Microsoft is rolling it out to people over time so I'm not sure when I'll actually upgrade to Win10 on my Venue Pro 8.

So since I don't have Win10 on it I don't know how it will handle the new OS.  I have the same specs on my Venue Pro 8 that you have.  

Todd

9 Posts

August 4th, 2015 00:00

Hi Todd

Thank you for the reply; I already have the win10 app on the venue pro 8, I have registered to receive the update, however in line with all my other devices I chose to down load and run the media creation tool, enabling me to upgrade to Windows 10.

With my other devices this worked flawlessly, unfortunately it worked up to a point with the dell.I got past the point of choosing what to keep, but somewhere between that point and actually installing it failed, reason unknown.

I know Dell have stated that they have had windows 10 running on the tablet, however I am not sure how this would be possible through the current manner of having to upgrade first, as the system keeps the old windows system to enable the user to downgrade back to the original OS should they so wish.

So my question really is how did Dell manage this? and how would we since you can't perform a clean install as the new OS would not be activated.

1.8K Posts

August 4th, 2015 12:00

From what I understand it keeps a file named Windows.old, in which it stores the settings, etc., from your Windows 8.1.   I have no idea how large that file is to be honest but I know it's nowhere near as large as the actual operating system.   While Windows requires ~ 16GB on the hard drive once installed you won't have 2 versions (and thus not have ~32 GB of files) of Windows on the hard drive. 

Windows didn't provide you with an error message or code when the update failed?  I've seen a few people that are reporting not getting specific error messages, but right now I don't know what causes them.

9 Posts

August 4th, 2015 12:00

Hi Todd

yes, no real error message, other than fail.

well I still have a year so no rush, the tablet works ok as it is, was just hoping to update all. Never mind there was bound to be one or two hiccups.

I will see what develops.

1.8K Posts

August 5th, 2015 10:00

Is this the error you're seeing by any chance?

Windows 10 Install Fail?  Here's how to Fix video

Todd

1.8K Posts

August 6th, 2015 11:00

Anyway all done now, thank you for the assistance. One more question though, could I delete the windows.old folder or move it to my SD card, just to gain back 1 and a half gigs?Would this create any issues.

Hi,

To be honest, I'm not sure.  My initial thought would be why not?  But you might want to check the Microsoft forums and see what they have to say before doing that.  Maybe there is some reason I'm not aware of that makes it not a good idea.

I would also recommend waiting a week or so before doing it just in case you run into a problem.  This way the rollback process would be seamless.  After that the chances of running into something unforeseen would be pretty low I would think.

I'm glad you got that working.  I'm nervous about when I finally get around to upgrading my Venue Pro 8.

Todd

9 Posts

August 6th, 2015 11:00

Hi Todd,

Well the good news is I've managed to upgrade, took hours but it has now managed to perform the upgrade

perfectly.

Instead of using the media creation tool I used for all my other devices, I went through the actual windows upgrade interface. I did initially fail under error 8024402c; after sifting through a couple of forums, I proceeded to close windows defender and changed my DNS.

this did the trick and the update went ahead, it did take hours as I mentioned. I started at 18:30 and by 23:00 it had still not managed to download all of the update (12%) and my speed normally runs at 50Mb.

Anyway all done now, thank you for the assistance. One more question though, could I delete the windows.old folder or move it to my SD card, just to gain back 1 and a half gigs?Would this create any issues.

Regards

2 Posts

August 11th, 2015 09:00

I ran system cleanup after Win 10 is installed, choose clean up system files, you can see "removing old windows installation" as a selectable option. I decided to wait for auto deletion of these files by windows 10 as it states in the Windows update.

9 Posts

August 24th, 2015 03:00

I Thought I would provide a update in case anyone has been following this post.

After I had upgraded to windows 10 on the dell venue, I was never really overall impressed, I half expected more, especially due to the experience I was having on my other Machines. The touchscreen never seemed to work properly and it was sluggish.

So I "bit the bullet" so to speak and performed a clean install; connected up a multi-port USB device hooked in a USB mouse and a USB drive with win 10 and rebooted from the USB.

All went fine except one small item, "ACTIVATION"! Damned if it would activate, so contacted MS through the contact support app; I tell you its probably a good job I still had my win8.1 paperwork with the licence key, its one of the first things they asked for. That and all my details such as name , email, phone number.

Well after almost 2 hours on the phone and online ( they were pretty efficient, in that, if we lost connection they called me on the phone) it was finally activated, it had to go through their tech 2 level support to do it though. I did see them put a new product key in, pity I didn't have time to take a screen shot for my records, I was told I do not need the key as my device is now fully registered on their system.

I can't predict what will happen should I perform another clean install in the future, but I suppose I have under a year to perform another under their free upgrade scheme ( must mark my calendar).

Anyway back to the Dell Venue with a clean install of Win 10.

WOW, what a difference!  I have my tablet back, better than before. It responds better, I have 17gbs free on my C Drive ( I don't have a lot of programs on it) that's almost 10gbs more than in win 8.1 and even after win 10 upgrade.

It just works that much better, its like a new device.

All I can say is, if your not happy with your Dell venue, perform a clean install, In the end you wont regret it.

I do actually use it a bit more now and have stopped looking for its replacement.

307 Posts

August 24th, 2015 18:00

Hi Ryley199, I am completely with you on this issue with installing Windows 10 on the D8VP. I read through this whole thread and what folks did to install Windows 10 does not give me a warm feeling as to how they did it. Some even admit that they are not sure what it was that they did to make it work. I wish Dell would just publish a step by step procedure on how to install the upgrade since they claim Windows 10 is compatible. Where is Dell support on this?

1 Message

September 15th, 2015 15:00

I upgraded my Venue 8 Pro yesterday, via the keyboard/mouse route. Everything went smoothly. However, after installing all the drivers and whatnot, I realized i have no hibernation. Is that gone with windows 10? I always used it in Win 8.1 because "sleep" on a windows tablet  = drain battery fast.

Thanks,

Don

September 15th, 2015 16:00

Its not gone. You just have to reconfigure the powerplan under advanced settings in the control panel.

9 Posts

September 16th, 2015 02:00

Hiya

DVP 8 PRO and windows 10, you don't need steps, its easy, just jump in and upgrade, you will not regret it , is my experience.

307 Posts

September 16th, 2015 04:00

Well, it didn't sound so easy based upon what you wrote on 24 Aug. If Dell says the the D8VP works with Windows 10 would it be so hard to tell us the steps to perform the upgrade since they must have follow some procedure?

9 Posts

September 16th, 2015 07:00

Hi Vtoy116

The process as I described on the 24th was actually quite simple, although frustrating as the only hiccup I had was the activation part. It was just time I lost rather than hair on this job.

To Simplify the process was as follows:

• Download all your DVP drivers to a alternative media source
  • Make sure you have your win 8.1 product key ( use something like produkey if you cant find it)
  • Confirm your version of windows
  • Conduct the update to windows 10  through the windows update process, rather than using the media via usb/cd drive
  • Allow the install to complete and activate
  • re-install drivers as/if required - delete the new touchscreen driver
  • Download the correct windows 10 media from the appropriate MS site and install to USB drive ( 4GB fat32) is what I used, it must be fat32 to work, not sure about the size, but must be at least 4gb
  • reboot the DVP into Bios and select uefi boot as primary
  • Install win 10 via usb
  • I formatted the existing DVP drive and conducted a clean install
  • Installed all DVP drivers
  • deleted the new touchscreen driver ( it would not work properly until this was done)
  • Allow two days to activate
  • if this does not happen use the contact support via settings to communicate with MS to gain activation
  • Viola, happy bunny

No Events found!