Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 4th, 2014 16:00

Dell Venue Pro 8 Bluetooth Problem

OK, I was using a Lenovo MIIX 2 8, and it worked with my LG Audio sound bar, VIA bluetooth no problem.  However, I had other issues with the Lenovo, which lead me to buy the Dell Venue Pro 8, but the LG Audio won't work, it see the LG Audio device, but will not connect.  It just sits there, not connecting.  I have updated the tablet, BIOS, etc...I have also tested it with a small portable Bluetooth speaker, and it connects fine, and plays music.

Anyone else encountering any bluetooth issues?? I am guessing it is a driver issue, as the audio device worked on the Lenovo, same Windows 8.1.

Thanks, Derek

157 Posts

May 5th, 2014 02:00

Hi, Derek - This won't be a complete answer, but Bluetooth devices require that a service called the "profile" be available to enable detailed communications. An example of simple communications could be the computer simply showing the BT device or even connecting with it, but unable to complete the desired function.

Examples of detailed communications involved with things like external BT speakers are AD2P for sending sound (very common) and AVRCP for remotely controlling an audio playback device (like selecting NEXT to go to the next track.)

So basic troubleshooting with Bluetooth devices always starts by determining if the profile needed by the Bluetooth device is available on the computer. If not, it could be added with a driver or Bluetooth firmware update.

Problems can also arise when a device uses a profile for some purpose other than the expected one. For example, a manufacturer could try to fake out a more involved profile for an audio playback device (a fictional vinyl record player, maybe) that's not easily supported by presenting it as something similar that's related, but not exactly desirable. For example, the record player could present its output as a relative low quality microphone array instead of a high-fidelity stereo signal, or even use a headset profile.

That applies, as you're probably guessing, mostly to cheap stuff, and would not apply to better quality products. I'm guessing that LG is a very good quality product and the Dell just isn't provide the profiles that it's expecting.

I'm sorry that this has been general information rather than an exact solution. In this case, I think I'd contact LG and ask for a list of the profiles that the sound bar requires to enable all functions.

No Events found!