Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 20th, 2013 21:00

Dell venue 11 pro slim keyboard F# keys

It seems that the slim keyboard's function keys are prioritized over the F# keys (e.g. F1, F2, etc). So, for instance, if I press the F1 key, it will toggle volume on/off instead of popping up 'help' menu in programs. In order to trigger the F1 function in programs (e.g. to get help menu open), I have to press Fn button and F1 key at the same time. And this type of behaviour applies to all  F# keys. Is there a way to reverse it so the F# keys work when they are pressed, and the "function" keys require pressing Fn key?

I'm on 7130 I3 dell venue 11 pro with slim (non-battery) keyboard.

January 12th, 2015 10:00

Ok, here's a possible solution I came up with. It's not perfect, but makes this device more usable for me at least: http://timebend.com/venue11fix

+1 to this fix. I actually like having the screen brightness (F11 and F12) not fixed and all the rest (F1 - F10) fixed.

Running the .exe does not require or even prompt for admin rights. Until there is a BIOS option, this .exe will be in my Startup folder from now on!

3 Posts

January 29th, 2014 04:00

Same here on mobile (with battery) keyboard and it is pretty annoying. I am constantly trying to close a window with Alt+F4 or to rename a file with F2 and only after the first try I remember to press Fn as well. Usually this kind of behavior can be changed in BIOS or drivers but that's not the case with Venue.

17 Posts

January 29th, 2014 07:00

Usually there is a BIOS setting to change this but I was in there recently and I could not find it.

17 Posts

January 29th, 2014 07:00

This is driving me crazy as well with our Venue 11 Pro...

14 Posts

January 29th, 2014 08:00

Maybe it would be possible to have a BIOS setting that can toggle the key priority. I would be concerned that it might also toggle the cursor keys though, too.

17 Posts

January 29th, 2014 08:00

I'm in I.T. (Network Admin) and I was planning on using this when mobile but with this problem it's making it very difficult :P I hope someone figures out something soon - I just received this one about a week ago.

Perhaps there is a way via software to do a "Fn" key lock (function lock) similar to caps lock... will have to search around when I have some free time.

5 Posts

February 15th, 2014 20:00

Still no update on this?

Dell: Can this be added in the next BIOS release?

1 Message

February 22nd, 2014 14:00

This non-switchable function key behavior is ridiculous.  If I had known this beforehand, I would not have bought the Venue 11 Pro.  Major show stopper and one reason it will be showing up on eBay soon.

17 Posts

March 1st, 2014 17:00

For me, it's a minor inconvenience.  Certainly not a deal-breaker.

April 2nd, 2014 13:00

Anyone have a solution to this?  It pretty much makes excel impossible to use.  How do you modify cells or recalc sheets without f2 and f9?

If the solution is a bios option to toggle the FN key, I assume it does not apply to the cursor keys.  Those are ok as is, but have fn options also assigned.

6 Posts

April 3rd, 2014 23:00

No Fn key lock is a moderate inconvenience for me. I would love to see a patch or some bios setting added so that the F1-F12 keys could be used without first pressing the Fn key. Volume, brightness, charms, etc can take a backseat to F2, F4, and F9 since I use a lot of tabs, do a lot of work in excel, etc. If this is supposed to be geared towards business-minded folks and students, I would expect quite a few people who own this awesome tablet would share my sentiment, in addition to those who've already posted in this thread.

1 Message

April 8th, 2014 15:00

adding a bios option for toggling F# key priority would be great. its kind of ridiculous for a "pro" version to be almost unable to perform F# combination with ALT or CTRL which are very common across most windows application....

58 Posts

April 10th, 2014 10:00

I also would very urgently 'ask' Dell to rethink leaving out the option to make the tablet keyboard productive. It took us years to learn all the windows shortcuts and now we are getting an expensive toy that can not be used... Well, considering all the responses they give lately on all the other issues I assume adding this feature is on top of the priority list... Well, Dell: surprise me (and all others)...

1 Message

April 17th, 2014 07:00

This is ridiculously stupid. Dell needs to come up with a fix for this asap. Embarrassing to think that the design team didn't think to include for a business tablet.

828 Posts

April 17th, 2014 15:00

The BIOS guys are looking into this.  

No Events found!