Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 4th, 2013 12:00

How to increase font size on Modern UI for Dell Venue 8 Pro

Love the form factor of this device but the font on the desktop and the modern UI applications is too small to read. There appears to be a drop down in "PC and Devices"/Display/"More Options":Change the size of apps, text and other items on the screen (only applies to displays that can support it)... that is designed to do this but it is disabled.

Is it possible to increase the font on the Modern UI?

If not will it ever be supported by this device?

1 Message

April 15th, 2014 02:00

Well. I just got the new Lenovo ThinkPad 8, 8" with 1920x1200 and its the same on this device. Its a pain to read the text, bordering unusable. Some people will not be able to use this. This is Microsofts fault, not Dell.

17 Posts

August 10th, 2014 10:00

Ahhh I found it THE MAGNIFING GLASS, and the stretch in Internet Explorer. Thanks all, Bill in Las Vegas <><

17 Posts

December 10th, 2014 14:00

I went there and found a Custom size and moved it to 200%, looks like a little kids tablet but I can see things now. Thanks Lyn9, your Number One!

Bill in Las Vegas

<><

1 Message

December 6th, 2013 20:00

I had the same problem.  It took me awhile to figure it out, but I did and I am so happy with my pro venue 8 now.  Go to computer and then to your "control panel" and choose the option for  "Appearance and Personalization"  choose Adjust screen resolution.  From there click the "make text and other items larger or smaller".  Then you are in a screen that allow you to choose what size you want your text.  I chose Extra large and I love it.  I was seriously considering moving to the venue 11 because I was so unhappy that I couldn't read anything. But now I will stick with the 8.  Hope this helps!

2 Posts

December 7th, 2013 15:00

Thanks for comments Sylvia but this approach only changes the font on the desktop not the modern UI.

4 Posts

December 7th, 2013 18:00

I am having the same problem. I could adjust the font size specifically in IE, but the app I am having trouble with is Flipboard and I cannot seem to find a way to increase the text size. I also have a Nexus 7 and noticed that Flipboard has that option on the Nexus 7 to resize text. Cannot find it on my Dell!

3 Posts

December 16th, 2013 18:00

I'm having the same problem after upgrading to Win8 Professional and applying the Dell driver and BIOS updates.  The modern UI option to increase size is disabled and displays "Default" (Settings > Change PC Settings > PC and Devices > Display > More Options).  Most of the text on the modern UI apps (Windows Store apps) are too small to read.  I was able to size the Desktop apps via Control Panel to 175% to be readable, however a lot of the popup windows extend off the bottom of the screen when in landscape mode.  Dell needs to provide a fix for the modern UI sizing.

4 Posts

December 17th, 2013 16:00

It took me some time to figure it out, but I saw that the font size adjustment is left to the individual app the manage. I could change font size is in IE, Bing News and I think NBC news. The problem remains with Flipboard which hasn't implemented a font size change capability. Its the primary negative review the app has been getting, so that may be fixed soon. Unfrotunately, I returned the tablet because I really want the stylus to work. If they figure that one out, I will get one again

4 Posts

January 2nd, 2014 14:00

you can modify the font for each app individually if the app provides that feature. there is no ability to change the font universally and that kind of makes sense

6 Posts

January 2nd, 2014 14:00

Just got my Venue 8 Pro.  I've changed the font size in the desktop. I'll be returning this device if there's no resolution to font sizing in the Metro side.

6 Posts

January 2nd, 2014 15:00

Why does it make sense to you that Dell would give us a display (or drivers) that doesn't support this?  I can increase the size in Metro on my other Windows 8.1 PCs.  The entire Metro interface (incl. PC Settings, etc.) and EVERY app gets larger.  If there's a legitimate cost or technical reason, why wouldn't they make the unchangeable/default size more reasonable for most people? 

4 Posts

January 2nd, 2014 17:00

I don't have any other Windows 8 PC, so I could be wrong! I was one of the first ones to complain about the lack of ability to change the font size because I couldn't do it within the Flipboard app. After a few days of usage, I realized that almost all apps provide that feature within their individual settings. Why I said that made sense is because that is similar to previous windows version where you could change the font size through individual apps (word, excel, IE etc). There was an additional way in previous versions and that was to change the screen resolution. I haven't tried, but I think you could do the same in Windows 8.1, Metro may not look very good though if you did that!

6 Posts

January 2nd, 2014 22:00

Actually, in previous versions of Windows the best way to increase the font size (and icon size, toolbar labels, etc.) across everything is the exact same way we do it for the desktop in Windows 8.  Changing the resolution was (and is) a poor way to make things bigger, because it also makes things fuzzier.  

One of my other Windows 8.1 PCs is used as a media PC and connected to a 60" TV.  The option to change the size of things in Metro (I guess I have displays that support it!) is awesome because I can read everything (incl. tile labels, search box, PC Settings, etc.) on a 1920x1080 display from 10' away!  It's more than a shame that we can't do this on the Venue 8 Pro - it's just wrong that Dell would ship this with everything in Metro being sooooo small that many people have trouble reading it.

1 Message

February 14th, 2014 06:00

There is some ugly workaround http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=50318750&postcount=6

1 Message

March 14th, 2014 08:00

I think that option is disabled by the operating system on the Dell Venue 8 Pro for one of these reasons:

• A) low resolution 
  • B) small screen size
  • C) a combination of the above

I believe if this device had a higher-res screen (e.g. 1920 x 1080) then this option would be enabled.  I guess there may be some concern about how well objects would scale at lower resolutions.  It is kind of disappointing.

No Events found!