Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 8th, 2017 07:00

Latitude 10 ST2 Windows 8 shuts down after power after installing recent Windows 8 updates

I have a Dell Latitude 10 tablet with windows 8 which recently downloaded some Windows8 updates and started to go into shutdown in about 20-30 seconds right after powerup.
I does not shut down while in F12 with bios settings on a screen.

Whatever I do with the settings in bios - nothing helped. The tablet keeps shutting down  after restart.
I've tried to boot from USB repair media as well.  By the way, there is no option in bios settings to choose boot  from USB. They have UEFI:Hard Drive, Windows Boot Manager and UEFI OS. I've tried all combinations of Secure Boot( enabled/disabled) and Boot Sequence . Same thing: 

USB drive LEDS flash some activity on powerup but the tablet screens looks like its booting as normal and shuts down again.
I expected to see different screens while booting from USB.
Any ideas?
Thanks you.

February 2nd, 2017 07:00

Update: Problem solved. I was able to, in safe mode, disable all services, and did a fresh boot. I did this continually adding services until the issue came back. I then enabled all services except the one that caused the failure, which for me, was "Windows Driver Foundation - User-mode Driver Framework". I had then looked at the Device manager to see what drivers were troublesome and (through a similar process) narrowed down the issue to the "Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework Manager". I then just had to install an older driver for this hardware/device and now the tablet preforms just fine.

4 Posts

February 8th, 2017 13:00

I apologize.  I finally figured out that you have to hold down the on/off button and wait for the light to come on, then hold down the on/off and wait until the light goes off.  Do this 3 or 4 times.  It worked.  Thank you so much for your help and I'm sorry to be so dumb.

January 10th, 2017 02:00

Hi svydrin,

Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.

Please click my DELL-username and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your email address.

Note: please don't mention the service tag or email id on the public forum as it contains your personal information

January 26th, 2017 10:00

I too am having this issue, is there any word on a solution?

Specifically for me, I updated to the new (as of 2014 haha) bios because I realized my tablet wasnt holding a charge and that bios was supposed to fix it. It did fix it, however when I downloaded 1 Security update and like 8 optional ones this issue (exactly as described in the original post) started to occur. I too have tried the same steps as svydrin.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 26th, 2017 12:00

Hi mddsangster,

It seems like a software issue. I would suggest you to rollback to previous state on the computer by performing system restore.

Also, please refer to the video below to run hardware diagnostics.

http://dell.to/2kp28Rc

January 26th, 2017 13:00

The issue is that I cannot even go past the login screen of windows because it has already initiated the shutdown as soon as the OS has finished loading. I ran hardware diagnostics and there is no issue. So it definitely is software, but I cannot load the OS to even perform a rollback.

3 Posts

January 28th, 2017 06:00

What I have found looking through all BIOS screens and messages, that there was something wrong with the service tag. The message was Service tag is not configured. But there is no way to configure or fix it.  Dell website does not recognize my service tag number. Perhaps its either wrong or not registered.  I bought this tablet on ebay, so the origin of it is unknown. I also came across of some note, that service tag problem may cause windows updates to crash. This is likely the issues. My conclusion is- check your service tag at dell website before installing any updates. If it is not registered- never update it. Otherwise the updates are going to kill it.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 29th, 2017 16:00

Hi mddsangster,

If the system is not booting into the Windows. You can refresh the system to check if the issue resolves. Switch ON the system and switch OFF the system 3 to 4 times when the Dell logo appears. This will make the system to go into **Windows 8 Advanced Startup Options** screen. Please select **Troubleshoot** option and choose the **REFRESH** option so that it refreshes the windows operating system.

January 30th, 2017 07:00

I have now tried this solution, however I get an error message that there is not enough space on the drive to do the refresh. I also tried the Dell Backup Repair, and its not acknowledging that my AC charger is plugged in. Additionally, I checked my service tag and it is fine.

Update: I am currently trying a system restore from the advanced options of that same menu, to roll back to before the update. 

Update 2: That was unsuccessful. However, I am able to boot into safe mode with networking. 

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

January 31st, 2017 15:00

Hi svydrin,

Please private message us the system service tag along withe registered owner's information and email address. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.      

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

February 2nd, 2017 11:00

We are glad that issue is sorted out. Please reach out to us if you have any other queries.We are available 24/7

- Ravi

4 Posts

February 7th, 2017 06:00

I have the same problem as svydrin posted on 8 Jan 2017 9:49.  I purchased my refurbished dell latitude from TechSoup with the serial # .  

Linda

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

3 Posts

February 8th, 2017 06:00

i also has this problem, how did you find safe mode? thanks.

4 Posts

February 8th, 2017 07:00

I can't believe an update from Microsoft can render our computers worthless!  I have tried every combination of shift f8, f8, shift f2, f2, shift f12, and on and on and I cannot get to a screen to select "restore my computer" nor a screen to select safe mode.  All I can do is get into the bios and do not have the choice of changing the start up order.  I've tried pressing the "on" button and the "wake up" button together, just pressing the "wake up" button, NOTHING.  Please tell us how to fix our computers!

So, kvisleis, I'm sorry, but I don't know how to get into safe mode.

3 Posts

February 8th, 2017 08:00

i was thinking about his experience:

Posted by mddsangster on 2 Feb 2017 9:56

No Events found!