Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2013 01:00

Latitude 10 ST2E: Backlight constantly flickering/flashing/dimming on low brightness

Hi Community,

I am dealing with strange issues on my 2 weeks old Latitude 10 ST2E (Essentials model without the WACOM hardware and replaceable Battery).

My backlight flickers irregularly when the display brightness setting is below ~20%. It looks like a lamp that does not get a steady amount of power and constantly changes brightness. My screen constantly flashes, dims, then briefly flashes again, dims down, and so on. This is extremely annoying and makes reading in low light conditions impossible.

The flickering is best observed on a white background (e.g.: Taskmanager in full screen) in a sightly dark area. It happens both when the automatic brightness controll is on and off. On high or low CPU load, on battery and on external power. Independent of motion or steady content on the screen.

Also I noticed that when I'm scrolling the brightness changes depending on the screen content. However I cannot determine a pattern or a reason why.

I have already updated the BIOS, drivers, Windows, then reinstalled and started fresh. The problem persists. Dell support has no idea and a technician is on the way to "replace the screen". I'm really curious how this is accomplished in a tablet without destroing it.

Can any of you Latitude 10 owners confirm low light flickering?

Thank you and best regards

L. Orlowski

7 Posts

April 11th, 2013 16:00

Have you tried turning off the adaptive brightness to see if that is causing the problem.

PC Settings -> General --> Screen

April 11th, 2013 22:00

Hello,

as stated above: "It happens both when the automatic brightness controll is on and off." Do you own a Latitude 10 Tablet? Could you observe what happens when you lower the brightness?

Dell has exchanged the display module yesterday. It did not help, the error persists.

Best regards

L. Orlowski

172 Posts

April 14th, 2013 23:00

When I bring my screen brightness down to the lowest level it does flickers when I drag it. But it doesn't flickers on its own. I hope this helps you.

April 15th, 2013 15:00

Hello,

do you have a ST2E or ST2 version of the tablet?

Best regards

L. Orlowski

172 Posts

April 15th, 2013 16:00

I have the ST2 with removable battery. I'm not sure what ST2E is.

April 15th, 2013 16:00

Hi there,

the ST2E is the essential version without WACOM hardware or removable battery. Thanks!

No Events found!