Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 31st, 2013 13:00

MHL???? Does venue 8 (android) support MHL??

I'd never heard of MHL until a few minutes ago.  I'm wondering where I can find a list of devices that currently support it?  I don't think my Kyocera Hydro Edge phone supports it but I'm wondering about the Venue 8 android since it just came out in the last couple of months.  I see Dell sells a couple of monitors that support MHL and it would be nice to be able to hook my venue 8 up to it and watch movies I've got stored on the tablet without moviing them to the desktop etc.  I see dozens of different adapters on ebay with different connectors on the end (hdmi etc.).  So tell me how this works, if the device supports it do you need one of those twenty dollar doo dads or is it just the matter of a cable?  Where can I find some in-depth info on MHL?

214 Posts

January 1st, 2014 04:00

Sorry — my suggestion re. "Miracast" applies to the Venue 8 Pro (WIN8.1). Some recent Android tablets also support Miracast, but I don't know if the Dell V8 will..

214 Posts

January 1st, 2014 04:00

No USB-based dongle will support smooth movie playback on your V8Pro; limited USB 2.0 bandwidth is the problem. However, your tablet is supposed to support "Miracast" which allows wireless streaming of HD video & audio to a nearby HDMI TV. Add-on HDMI adapters are available for TVs without built-in Miracast support. Dell sells 'em online; check-out:

Netgear Push2TV Wireless Display Adapter — Dell Part# A6347173 

Note: I hope this solution works, but I haven't tried it yet — still waiting for the adapter I recently ordered... 

January 3rd, 2014 16:00

The Venue 8 Pro (WIN8.1) absolutely supports Miracast.

14 Posts

January 6th, 2014 08:00

I've been able to use the Miracast device from Netgear with the Dell Venue 8, w 4.2.2. and 4.3 Works good, however the screen resolution is ONLY 480p.
Don't expect an HD stream...

1 Message

July 9th, 2014 10:00

If you want any HD content on your monitor/display/tv then use chromecast. The dell Venue 8 tablet should be able to support 720p based on the resolution of the screen, but why use the tablet to display anything? If you want to stream movies stream it directly to the chromecast device from the internet using the Venue as the controler. For $35 its about the same price as a MHL or SlimPort adapter anyway.

With Android L they've added casting the tablet/phone device's display to the chromecast device.

No Events found!