Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2010 13:00

More fragile then you know, Dell's Customer Service is horrible.

I have had my Streak for about a month, I really liked the device I bought the wallet case to try and protect it. Typically when I buy a cell phone I purchase the accidental insurance on the device but dell doesn't off this for the Streak (hint). My device wasn't dropped, it wasn't abused. It was in the front pocket of my jeans in dell's expensive, nearly useless wallet case. I pull the device out of my pocket and the LCD screen is destroyed. Yes, the pressure caused by my thigh, the outside of my pants and the case pushing against the screen caused it to crack, nothing else.

So, knowing I would feel more defeated, perhaps I wanted to feel worse about my plight, I call dell support. Explain what happened, and not surprisingly get shot down for any kind of help. Admittedly if the device was not in my pocket it would not have broke, but what else should I do with it? Should I carry a bag to keep it in, just hold it in my hand? What?

I ask the CSM that very question and you know what? He can't answer it. Really, he had no clue about how I could better protect my device. I mean it was in the case, I didn't abuse it it just broke because I did to it the same think I've done to every other cell phone I've ever owned.

I know what I purchased, granted. I just don't really understand how dell can sell a device that is marketed as durable enough to at least be carried around like a cell phone that really shouldn't be. My pants aren't any tighter then the typical user, I don't believe, actually they're rather loose. The Irony is even sweeter in that, the extra pressure the thickness of the case caused in my pocket, more then likely put my Streak at a HIGHER risk.

If I had dropped the device, If I had gotten it wet I would be ordering another right now, and I'd still be able to tell my friends I love the streak. Now I can't tell them anything more then to by the device only if you plan to always leave it at home. But after my conversation with the CSM I'd probably just tell them to steer clear of dell all together and purchase a phone from another manufacturer.

If dell want's to make phones they should give there customers better ways to protect them, offer something in the way of accidental damage insurance, design them to be stronger, or even, at the least offer something in the way of repair, even if I had to pay for them I would have. Now I have a $550 paper weight and a very bad opinion of dell.   

10 Posts

September 17th, 2010 14:00

I'm sorry for your loss, and I feel your pain.  Welcome to the club.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/mobile-devices/f/3824/t/19344700.aspx

I'm recommending to everyone who is in this situation to do as I have and file with the Better Business Bureau.  It doesn't result in anything but a response from a Dell telling you to buy another, but I believe in making it known to them that they aren't living up to the expectations that we, as consumers, have of them.  Make them spend time and effort responding to the claim.

It really is a shame, because other than this issue, the Streak is a great device.

No Events found!