Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2010 10:00

New streak switching off randomly in my pocket

Dears,

I've got my new streak on Friday last week & I am desperate.

I planned to use it as a phone, but when I put it into my pocket it randomly turns off or restars. When I use it in my hands no issue, but when in the pocket of my jeans it randomly turns off or restarts.

This is happening on complelty empty streak (after factory reset that I have performed in order to exclude another app as root cause of the issue) 

I have noticed that pressing power button even in screen lock mode brings up menu where device can be turned off. This menu is active even though screeen is locked (very stupid). My suspicion is that this happens randomly in my pocket . 

Any help / advice ? I am desperate! Love it, but if I can't use it as phone (& I cannot when it randomly turns off) I'll need to return it back . Is there any way to deactivate power button when in locked mode ? (

Thanks,

Dusan

18 Posts

October 17th, 2010 01:00

I have had my streak for five days now and it has turned off about six or eight times and I will not be stuffing any paper or anything else into the back of it, this is my first ever Dell product and from my experience with this issue and quite a few other little things I am absolutely sure it will be my last!

October 17th, 2010 05:00

dberky: Sorry for the frustration. Many of these issues we've seen are due to the battery door not being inserted properly. Take a look at Amy's forum thread that includes more insight, plus a simple video we did to illustrate how to put it on tight.

To save a step, here's the video itself. Hope this helps. 

Sincerely,

Lionel 

October 17th, 2010 05:00

Thinking this might help customers who are experiencing this. 

18 Posts

October 18th, 2010 07:00

My battery cover has been in the correct position ever since I got the phone! this problem does not seen to have anything to do with the battery cover.

10 Posts

February 11th, 2011 14:00

Did you know that the Streak will automatically shut itself off if the battery door is opened for more than a second or so? When inserting and removing the Streak from your jeans pocket, the battery door may have slid such that the contacts were no longer aligned and the auto shutdown activated. There is currently no way to disable this protection scheme. Make sure that the battery door on your Streak is secured before placing it in your jeans pocket and/or take extra care when inserting/removing it; the microfiber pouch that was included with the Streak may reduce the likelihood of this circumstance.

If this doesn't fix the problem, I'd still be hesitant to say that the power button is the culprit. If you press the power button, it requires using the touch screen to do a normal shutdown. Because the touch mechanism is capacitive not resistive, direct or near-direct contact with a conductive surface (denim does not qualify) is necessary to register. If your screen is facing your leg while in your pocket, it may register through the pocket lining, but to consistently and accurately strike that position on the screen is not likely. Try keeping the screen facing outwards (more risk of damage in a fall, though) to see if that helps. If you hold the power button for several seconds continuously, you will force a hard shutdown (not recommended unless absolutely necessary). The button is small and doesn't stick out very far. The small size in relation to the surface area of that edge means that you'd have to have very tight pockets in order to depress the button for that long. In that case, you really shouldn't be using your pocket to hold your Streak. Such is the price we pay for such a large phone.

Thanks for your effort! I understand this part, It's comprehensive.

8 Posts

February 27th, 2011 06:00

The problem is not with the battery.  I've had 2 other phones with this problem and it has never been the battery, although that is where the blame often falls (or with the SD card which can be true).  Don't bother using the paper card trick on the battery.  It doesn't do anything except introduce dusk and junk to the guts of the phone. The problem HAS to be with the operating system.  This is a very, very bad sign since that means everyone is likely to have problems.  When I was running android 1.6 it would reboot when using the GPS or the YouTube app.  I did a factory reset (hold in both volume keys and power off) 2x and it did not help.  I was told on the helpline to wait for the android 2.2 and that would probably fix the problems.  Well, this past Friday I finally got 2.2 and everything is 10x worse.  Now it reboots after using just about anything for too long (particularly maps, gps, internet) and the touchscreen freezes randomly.  Also, apparently you can't connect to wifi or the data network with going all the way through the settings menu....that is, unless you're supposed to by tapping the upper-right hand side of the screen (like 1.6) and it just doesn't work (again, an OS problem).  I have tried reseting this one 3x (you have to got through the system menu b/c holding the volume buttons and hitting power just restarts the phone w/o a factory reset) and it has not helped at all.  As of now, my only hope is when I send it in for a replacement the one they give me back will be better.  From what I have read on here so far it seems that a replacement will be just as bad. 

So my main question for the forum would be....What are the chances Dell will refund my $$$ or provide me with a different phone plus the balance of what I paid (around $650.00 after tax) if the problem can't be completely fixed?  I'm not looking to get something for nothing but I did pay a premium for this phone with the expectation that it would double as a quasi-laptop when on the go.  So far, this has been a complete disaster.   

February 27th, 2011 09:00

Have you done the 2.2 update?

I got a replacement, and the replacement still did the same thing. After buying and putting on the plastic case cover, it solved a good portion of the problems.

The phone however had all kind of issues when on a phone call w/Bluetooth and the screen was put to sleep, as in, you touch the power button to shut the screen off, put the phone in your shirt pocket and continue the call.

After the software update it has not shut off yet. :emotion-2: Of course I only had the update now for what, three days? The software update does do a noticeable change to the proximity sensor and prevent the touch screen from coming back on once the screen is shut off during a call.

You will also notice now after doing the software update that the browser now can now be used to surf the internet or texting while on a phone call.

4 Posts

February 28th, 2011 01:00

dreadful mistake :emotion-8:

I bought DELL STREAK with no question since I was sure DELL + GOOGLE will do amazing.  It was a complete fall and I am stuck with DELL STREAK 5 that is driving me crazy.  Complicated, missing huge SIMPLE features, very annoying tiny mini micro font size for a 5 inch screen, NO ARABIC language.  No EXIT feature for applications even the TASK KILLER doesn't work properly, and NOW I am getting " Low on space" & "SMS memory space is full"  message all the time although I have installed 32GB memory.  Managing the SMS's is a real headach, Keyboard on screen is unbelievably BAD (small tiny keys not accurate), The location of speaker is the worst since I am missing too many calls when my phone is left on table and not on a stand.  This phone needs to go back to you DELL and I want my money back .. 

Money not back then consider your self bought a real real bad reputation on the net ... 

<ADMIN NOTE: Email id removed per privacy policy>

Thank you

1 Message

April 19th, 2012 10:00

I totally agree, this is sheer RUBBISH. The least Dell can do, is to call back all the hand-sets and issue a refund.

I tried sticking the card behind the battery as is described in this post, but it still doesn't work. It shuts down at it's will. It's as if it has a mind of it's own, knows when exactly you'll need it, and it shuts itself down simply to annoy you. I have to start it at least 10 times in a day. Not to mention all the calls that I miss because the stupid device is mostly switched off.

To add to the misery, I tried mailing Dell tech support team for a formal solution of this, and the web-page said that your warranty has expired, renew your warranty first. To hell with the stupid warranty ... sell something which can at least stay switched on!!

Disgusting...

11 Posts

April 19th, 2012 10:00

I got rid of dell streak , using galaxy note now. Gives me what I wanted : huge screen & it works much better in every aspect

D

No Events found!