Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2013 20:00

No Multi-user profile on Venue 8???

I just received my Venue 8 tablet.  It comes with Android 4.2.2 but does not have the multi-user option.  I've seen other tablets allow this.  Anyone know how I can get this feature to work?

4 Operator

• 

3.5K Posts

February 5th, 2014 10:00

I haven't posted here in a while.  For those of you that are still unable to download 4.3 Jellybean, we are working on a solution and hope to have this corrected for you shortly.   I suggest continue checking for updates and I will post here once I have something definite.

TB

39 Posts

February 5th, 2014 13:00

I haven't posted here in a while.  For those of you that are still unable to download 4.3 Jellybean, we are working on a solution and hope to have this corrected for you shortly.   I suggest continue checking for updates and I will post here once I have something definite.

TB

Why won't you guys just release the file through your website and cut all the unnecessary waiting on it?  It's fairly obvious that the venue pro line is higher up on the priority  list than the Android counterpart  they're tons of files and updates and bios and etc  available to download but when it comes to the Android nothing.  I'm definately regretting this purchase cause the support really bites man.  The device itself  is good but support is horrendous

39 Posts

February 5th, 2014 18:00

There is no indication the Pro series is "higher up"  on anything. Windows and Android are apples and oranges. When you have an issue in Windows you can usually release a minor bug fir or driver. Android doesn't  work that way. When you replace a driver you have to redo the kernel. Often one change breaks other things that were working. Many of the windows updates and fixes come directly from Microsoft, not dell. It's not like 4.2 is "broken".

nope your right no indication But your missing my point, yes Microsoft provides most of the venue 8 pros files and features bios etc, but is Microsoft directly logging into the dell website and servers and pushing those files? dont think so, they are in communication with the dell developers who then place those files on the website for users to DL

it should be the same with android, google releases the 4.3 or 4.4 images etc to dell, then dells developers tweak em as they may and send em off OTA or GOD FORBID UPLOAD TO THE DELL WEBSITE!! .

same process yet 1 is  not "higher up" on a priority list....

this just follows logic and common practices in industry

if it smells like a cheese sandwich and looks like a cheese sandwich maybe its a taco..... Just my 2 cents

i know 4.2.2 isnt broken or nothing i just like openness in the software of a device i purchase, it just irks me that others like myself cant easily mod and tweak or even just repair our venues without the system images. or even just a proper firmware update.

21 Posts

February 5th, 2014 18:00

There is no indication the Pro series is "higher up"  on anything. Windows and Android are apples and oranges. When you have an issue in Windows you can usually release a minor bug fir or driver. Android doesn't  work that way. When you replace a driver you have to redo the kernel. Often one change breaks other things that were working. Many of the windows updates and fixes come directly from Microsoft, not dell. It's not like 4.2 is "broken".

95 Posts

February 5th, 2014 19:00

With windows updates no tweaking by dell is needed.  I've always thought that odd about android.  It has to be specifically tweaked for each device.  With windows you have the basic software and a library of drivers for whatever hardware combo you have.  

39 Posts

February 6th, 2014 08:00

With windows updates no tweaking by dell is needed.  I've always thought that odd about android.  It has to be specifically tweaked for each device.  With windows you have the basic software and a library of drivers for whatever hardware combo you have.  

thats simply the good and bad side of open source. google could just make all features of each android version standard no matter the device but with the different hardware it would be advantageous to some and others it would be a memory or cpu hog. 

like what they did with android 3.0.... that was originally designed just for tablets until some 1 at Google had a brain fart and said y not make android 4.0+ compatible with both smartphones and tablets.

21 Posts

Windows is proprietary. MS builds it, owns it,  and has to make it work with all industry standard hardware (ha ha ha). They also have to provide a certain level of support to maintain that compatibility. They tried to force that mandatory hardware compatibility but fortunately the hardware manufacturers stood up to them but we still got stuck with "windows Compatibility". Google is Linux based and open source, to a degree. That means that beyond the source code whatever happens is on the manufacturer or user who is customizing it to fit their hardware. Because if it's open source origins even the user can tweak or modify at the root level. There is a misconception that locking a boot loader or not releasing source code violates GNU open source licensing but in fact you are allowed to protect your intellectual property. 

21 Posts

it should be the same with android, google releases the 4.3 or 4.4 images etc to dell, then dells developers tweak em as they may and send em off OTA or GOD FORBID UPLOAD TO THE DELL WEBSITE!! .

It should be but it's not. It isn't as simple as you try to make it sound. If you run Enterprise server Microsoft does push the fixes and patches to your server, all you do is schedule the push to your users of the updates you need. Android is based on Linux and open source that means it is your (the vendor's) problem. Google doesn't do any of the work for you after you have your test or production OS. They have support you can contact but that is it.Right now certain tablets can't receive the 4.3 update. That IS something they have to work on to fix. that takes time. And as I said in the process the fix could in turn break something causing more time lost.

this just follows logic and common practices in industry

Commonsense maybe, common in the industry, not really. Very few brand tablets release the actual firmware. With Google CTS you are not supposed to under the vendor agreement with Google. You see it in lesser brands. Everybody loves them, they release or at least leave a backdoor to getting firmware, then they get CTS and servers get locked down and no more firmware. Now everybody hates them.

You are preaching to the choir on firmware availability, but it's not going to change anytime soon. Just like fixes for issues with Google will never be fast on anything other than Nexus devices. Why would they expedite the process for their competition.

95 Posts

February 11th, 2014 18:00

Yeah!! 4.3 update came through for me today.  Thank you Dell!

3 Posts

February 12th, 2014 06:00

Yep, I received mine last night as well.

2 Posts

May 28th, 2014 23:00

I'm still stuck on 4.2.2 with my Venue 7.

Software version: Venue 7 3730_V1.42_131114-NoModem

4 Posts

June 7th, 2014 07:00

I bought two venue 8 devices.  One has multiuser, one does not.  How do I download the update?

2 Posts

June 15th, 2014 21:00

TB

I have had my Venue 8 for little over a month and I still have Android version 4.2.2, software version Venue 8 3830_V1.42_131114-NoModem. I have checked the system updates manually everyday and I am still getting a message that the system is up to date.  The selling point of the Venue 8 was the multi-user profile found in Android 4.3.  What do I need to do to get the update? 

4 Posts

June 15th, 2014 21:00

Ditto.  HELP!

2 Posts

July 3rd, 2014 19:00

Receive my update and, surprise, it was to 4.4.  Account creation is going great, no problems since the update.  Thank you.

No Events found!