Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2014 06:00

No Wifi-Easy fix

I lost my Wifi connection, diagnostic kept saying wifi was not turned on but when I toggled it on, it just kept shutting off.

After 6 frustrating hours, this was the solution, turn off tablet, then hold down power on button for 2 minutes, after 2 minutes, plug in charger as if to charge and then power on the tablet.  Problem was solved.  Admittedly I have to reconnect to my home wifi with user name and password, but that was the simple part.

Problem was caused by an issue with overcharging the battery.  Apparently when the tablet is left connect to charger after it has completed charging a static charge builds up in the battery and losing wifi was the result. 

Kudo to Dell support for the help with this.  Unfortunately I wasted so much time before i got through due to the fact that I kept blaming it on other Microsoft issues that had been posted here.  Try this solution first before you try other fixes.  this was so easy.  Wish there had been something in the tablet instructions telling of this charging issue.

2 Intern

• 

480 Posts

July 1st, 2014 10:00

The cause of the problem sounds suspicious to me.

I've never heard of a "static charge" on the battery, and the charging circuit is designed to stop charging once the battery is fully charged.

Whenever I charge mine, I leave it connected until I want to make it "portable" again.  That could be a day later.  No WI-FI problems.

Glad you got it working anyway.

915 Posts

July 1st, 2014 10:00

Thanks for the post and reminder--this had happened to me once as well, and this fix from Dell Tech. Support did the trick.

42 Posts

July 1st, 2014 21:00

Yeah that explanation sounds wonky

915 Posts

July 1st, 2014 23:00

When the issue occurred to me, it was when I reconnected to AC, after having been disconnected for the day. And so I'm not sure that the "static charge" explanation applied to me. Regardless, the solution of a deep discharge worked and am glad to know of and have it. As said above, it should be in the tablet's manual (as brief and somewhat sketchy as the manual is).

July 4th, 2014 05:00

the point of the post was to help others with their problem and fix it, not whether the reasoning from Dell was valid or not, being non technical I can't say one way or another.  Just don't waste time on the reasoning of the cause before you at least try this.  Makes sense huh

1 Message

July 4th, 2014 13:00

Sounds like someone got up on the wrong side of the bed.

1 Message

July 4th, 2014 17:00

Fix worked as advertised but now cannot get the batteru to charge.  Have tried different adapters with same result.  Any thoughts?

No Events found!