Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 14th, 2010 15:00

Permanent Full System Crashes on new Dell Streak

Hi,

i'm from Germany and i recieved my new Dell Streak yesterday. I connected it to my wireless lan and tried to download some apps from the market, but the apps won't download. I just get the message "starting download and that's it".

and frequently my streak just turns off as i use it. i haven't installed anything. i just scroll through the desktops and the screen turns black. the dell streak is off. there is no reaction from the device as i try to turn it on again. only if i connect it to the power supply or with my pc via usb it restarts. if i disconnect it, it turns off again after some time without any suspicious action of myself. only if it is connected with the power supply the crashes stops.

can someone help me and tell me what is wrong with my streak? sorry for my bad english ;)

3 Posts

August 15th, 2010 05:00

Hi,

I got the same problem...

It seems it's a false contact between battery and circuitboard (a design problem, I believe)

My solution : I put a piece of carboard (just a bit  smaller than battery) on top of the battery, and I scotched it gently to battery.

Since then, I didn't have to reboot (just one time, when the bottom right of my Streak was slapped to a table)

Best regards

Asperian (from france)

3 Posts

August 15th, 2010 05:00

hi :)

wow, thank you. that solved my problem i think :)

i shake the phone to see if it turns off and without the piece of paper between the battery and the backcover it turns immediately off and do a restart. so i put in the piece of paper and now everything is fine. now i can shake it and nothing happens.

thanks a lot for your quick help,

best regards

3 Posts

August 15th, 2010 06:00

You're welcome !

11 Posts

August 15th, 2010 10:00

Guys,

I've got my new streak on Friday last week & I am desperate.

I planned to use it as a phone, but when I put it into my pocket it randomly turns off or restars. When I use iot in my hands no issue, but when in the pocket of my jeans it randomly turns off or restarts.

I have noticed that pressing power button eevn in screen lock mode brings up menu where device can be turned off. This menu is active even though screeen is locak ( very stupid) My suspicion is that this happens randomly in my pocket . 

Any help / advice ? I am desperate! Love it, but if I can't use it as phone (& I cannot when it randomly turns off) I'll need to return it back 

Thanks,

Dusan 

18 Posts

August 15th, 2010 14:00

Yes I have just seen your post. I have had my Streak from the first day issued. Last Thursday after charging the Streak would not start and I removed the battery and put it back in again. For the next 2 days the same thing happened after charging and removed and replaced the battery and all was OK.

I got in touch with Dell and they decided through O2 to have the unit replaced. They had no answer.

So it could be that when charging overnight etc. that there is some expansion with the battery or the contacts, stopping it working.

The Streak is being replaced tomorrow. The cardboard trick could be the answer. It is possible that the back metal case of the Streak is too flimsy to hold the battery firmly in place as well??

Dell should be warned re this problem and could put a small thin piece of foam onto the back of the plate to hold the battery in place just like your card insert.

I am sure you have solved this problem. Thanks.

3 Posts

August 15th, 2010 14:00

Hi,

I already answered :

Hi,

It seems it's a false contact between battery and circuitboard (a design problem, I believe)

My solution : I put a piece of carboard (just a bit  smaller than battery) on top of the battery, and I scotched it gently to battery.

Since then, I didn't have to reboot (just one time, when the bottom right of my Streak was slapped to a table)

Best regards

Asperian

Please, tell me if it's also a solution for you !

11 Posts

August 16th, 2010 00:00

Unfortunately I tested the trick & it didn't work for me :-(.

I still think this is due to the way power switch works on streak. It is possible to switch streak off without unlocking the screen. I there was a way to disable this "feature" I guess that would be the solution for me.  

Dusan

7 Posts

August 17th, 2010 09:00

Got my Streak on Friday also - and it took 3 hours to figure out that the battery cover needs to be PUSHED securely into place.  My phone kept going off - and then I noticed the cover was really not secured properly.  It took (what I thought) was way TOO MUCH force to properly secure and latch the cover.  this is a terrible design - but obviously when secured properly - works.

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2010 16:00

I've noticed the same behavior with my streak as well. It seems to "randomly" turn off especially if it in my pants pocket. At first I thought it was the power button. However, I can replicate the problem by slightly torquing the phone. If I hold it and press the upper left away from me while pulling the upper right to me, the power goes out. I believe it is the batter y connection or maybe the two switches for the cover that are not  keeping contact. All I know is the problem is annoying.

11 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 01:00

Indeed  the more I think about it the more it seems due to the two connectors on the body of the phone under battery cover. they seem to lose contact with conductive cover of battery under certain circumstances & as a result it leads to switching off of the equipment.

I have sent mine for replacement to the shop. If it comes back & still has the problem I will try to hardwire the two connectors to create permanent conductive connection regardless of the battery cover status. Doesn't sound like clean solution :-)  but I will try it if the problems are still there ... unless someone has already tested it & there are other negative consequences .... In such case pls let us know 

1 Message

January 2nd, 2011 17:00

Hi,

Best regards

Asperian (from france)

It is exactly what I need, Thanks for your analysis!

1 Message

November 24th, 2011 07:00

I got round this problem by being very gentle with the gold contacts and teased them out fractionally more than normal with a pin.

No Events found!